How Do You Take Your William Larue Weller?

dbk
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I drink everything neat. I've played around with water and ice, and I still do occasionally. But I've yet to find anything that I enjoyed more with water, than without.

Same here. I almost never add water to anything. I also don't care for my whisk(e)y being chilled, so, ice is out. Once in a great while when nothing seems to taste right, I'll try a little water to see if it helps. If it doesn't, it just wasn't supposed to be an evening for whisk(e)y. :lol:

I add a very small amount of room temp bottled water. I find it doesnt change the taste profile all that much and it takes away a bit of the burn(which isn't a ton but enough I enjoy it a little less).

Slightly off topic from WLW but I don't know how the GTS neat drinkers do it. It numbs my tongue to the point I can't taste one of my favorite bourbons ever very well after a few sips. Guess everyone's taste buds are different.

Slightly off topic from WLW but I don't know how the GTS neat drinkers do it. It numbs my tongue to the point I can't taste one of my favorite bourbons ever very well after a few sips. Guess everyone's taste buds are different.

Speaking of GTS... Saw this post in one of the taste tests done on 5-28-2010.

This looks like an interesting way to make your Stagg less toxic and last longer as well as be pretty tasty according to the panel:

Ron’s Four Grain, 1/3 GTStagg 141.2 Proof, 1/3 Makers Mark, 1/3 Evan Williams 1783. The four grain is 106 Proof

Is there a thread that discusses Ron's Four Grain?

If you are going to add water to WLW, why not just buy Weller 12? Same result and a lot cheaper?

If you are going to add water to WLW, why not just buy Weller 12? Same result and a lot cheaper?

I am still drinking it at somewhere between 110-115 proof. It just takes a bit of the burn off for me.

Guest wripvanwrinkle

I don't know. To me they are 2 completely different profiles. For me the Weller 12 is more Plum, Cola, and Clove. The WLW is more Prune, Caramel, and subtle baking spice.

Once my pallete settles down (too much THH goodness tonight...) I'm going to give the W12 and WLW a blind taste at the same proof.

I like to add some water to my WLW because I think it clears some heat away from the thick caramel corn that I love so much, but if I had to guess it's still being sipped at around 115 proof. I don't think Weller 12 even comes close to offering the thick and rich flavors of WLW.

I don't know. To me they are 2 completely different profiles. For me the Weller 12 is more Plum, Cola, and Clove. The WLW is more Prune, Caramel, and subtle baking spice.

Once my pallete settles down (too much THH goodness tonight...) I'm going to give the W12 and WLW a blind taste at the same proof.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.