What bourbon DO you regret buying?

Parkersback
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

When I first came to SB, I read some of the "Best Cheap Pours/Bargains" threads, and there I read many folks (not the least of which was Chuck Cowdery) mention JTS Brown and Old Fitzgerald as decent, bottom-shelf bourbons. On a trip through Texas, I picked up a handle of OF and a liter of JTS.

When I got them home, I was startled at how thin, weak, and bad they both were. I couldn't figure it out. I tried hard to like them, but couldn't. "But Chuck Cowdery likes these whiskeys", I thought. "He has a website. They don't give those out to just anyone!"

I went back and re-read those "Best Cheap Pours" threads again, and realized my mistake: what everyone was talking about were the bonded/100 proof versions of those whiskeys. I had grabbed Old Fitz Prime, and JTS 80 proof.

Gosh, they were bad. I ended up cooking with one of them, and infusing the other, I think.

I used to buy anything on the shelf just to try it....I really regret the purchase of Rebel Reserve. Unimpressive and thin.

I'll second that OF Prime.

I was out hunting and in a store that was new to me. I bought a pewter WTKS and a Weller Centennial and two Old Fitzgerald Prime.

It turns out the OF Prime was a new product and comparatively thin. For those who asked for bourbon and coke or ginger, this is what they got in generous proportions. Almost always got the this is really good as a comment. Go figure.

EC 12 - 2 times...not gonna be 3, it worked well as a lamb marinade.

AAA 10 Star - the guy I gave it to drank it so that made me feel better.

As I've told many people, I know I've got more stuff in my bunker than I will ever be able to drink in my lifetime. As I look on my shelves, I see several bottles that I will probably never open, since I've got too many other bottles that I really enjoy more.

Things that I wish I had not purchased (or maybe not purchased as many)

BTAC Sazeracs

BTAC Eagle Rare (with the exception of the 2008)

BTEC (at least I finally passed on the latest "lost" barrel set)

Old Charters 12 (jumped on these when they were discontinued)

Most of my Turkeys (I bought most of these before I took the time to realize that I'm not really a big Turkey fan)

I may be burned alive for saying this on this site, but for me it was AH Hirsch 16 yr gold foil. I read all the hype and finally ran across one at a reasonable price and really looked forward to trying it. When I finally tried it, I was happy because I hadn't caved and bought one off Ebay for even more money. That bottle confirmed that you don't have to spend a bunch of money to get fantastic bourbon. I don't enjoy the bottom shelf as much as some on here do, but that revelation made me much more selective about the bottles I purchased in the future. Now I buy almost exclusively wheaters across the range of pricing.

I can't exactley say regret because I wanted to try everything so I did.

But it's like a lot of other things in life as far as the saying goes, if I only knew then what I know now.

EW SB.... never reach for these.. several open and suspect they will be here for years to come...

Beam's version of Old Taylor. C R A P

2nd that!. Lucky, I only bought a 375 ml bottle several years ago and used most of it for mixing.

Heaven Hill BIB gold label. Honestly made me shiver. Wound up in a variety of baked goods.

I can't exactley say regret because I wanted to try everything so I did.

But it's like a lot of other things in life as far as the saying goes, if I only knew then what I know now.

I'm with Oscar. And I know now that most minimally aged craft distillery bourbons are not for me.

Ain't those the lyrics from the Faces' classic tune "Ooh La La"?:grin:

This is a perfect thread to showcase how personal tastes in bourbon differs from one of us to another.

My regrets list:

Old Weller 107

Old Weller Antique

Eagle Rare 10yo

Ezra Brooks Single Barrel

Old Forester 86

One regret:

Wild Turkey 101 Rye... AKA gasoline in a nice looking bottle.

I don't really regret buying any bourbon, however there are some that I will never buy again.

In the early hype around American craft whiskeys, I invested in a number of them at considerable expense. Most of them are still mostly full.

I don't really regret buying any bourbon, however there are some that I will never buy again.

As I've told many people, I know I've got more stuff in my bunker than I will ever be able to drink in my lifetime. As I look on my shelves, I see several bottles that I will probably never open, since I've got too many other bottles that I really enjoy more.

Things that I wish I had not purchased (or maybe not purchased as many)

BTAC Sazeracs

BTAC Eagle Rare (with the exception of the 2008)

BTEC (at least I finally passed on the latest "lost" barrel set)

Old Charters 12 (jumped on these when they were discontinued)

Most of my Turkeys (I bought most of these before I took the time to realize that I'm not really a big Turkey fan)

Wild Turkey 101 Rye... AKA gasoline in a nice looking bottle.

Hmmm..... I would have to disagree with the gasoline description :grin: .

Having finally found WT Rye, I have to say that I really enjoy it.

edit: I see this is my 426th post... my favorite "gasoline" powered engine. 426 Hemi anyone?

I also enjoy WT Rye. To my liking it is one of the better ryes for the money.

Joe :usflag:

I can't say that I really regret buying it because I did want to try it, but the money I spent on the current version of Old Fitz BIB would have provided me more enjoyment if I had put it in a pile and lit it on fire.

I've found that bourbon to be suitable only for mixing with other liquids that complete mask the taste of the bourbon.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.