What bourbon DO you regret buying?

Parkersback
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Red Stag, 50ml. Still can't get the taste out of my mouth.

I actually like the WT American Spirit, maybe not worth the price but still tasted good to me.

I also dislike Noah's Mill. I just get serious corn overload trying to sip it.

• 1 month later...

Fortunately, I did most of my initially sampling with 50 mL bottles, so a lot of the bottom end that get high reviews cost me only a couple of bucks if I didn't like them. Definitely the way to go when available.

• 3 weeks later...

That Ten High that I had a thread about a few weeks back? Well, once the honeymoon wore off and I got another bottle of EW BIB, I regret buying the Ten High. Nasty, medicinal, chemical tasting stuff.

JB Devil's Cut. I don't know what I was expecting, but it sure wasn't what I got :grin: .

Don't get me wrong... it isn't horrible, it just isn't anything special... at all. I'll go on record as "semi regretting' buying it :lol: .

I also dislike Noah's Mill. I just get serious corn overload trying to sip it.

I will not say that I regret buying Noah's Mill quite yet, but I've had some trouble getting into it. It's been sitting open for a while now...maybe it will taste better with time.

Jefferson's PS18. Potting soil and mildew for $80. Ouch. I'd have enjoyed Old Crow more!!!

Jefferson's PS18. Potting soil and mildew for $80. Ouch. I'd have enjoyed Old Crow more!!!

I have a JRPS17, I'm crossing my fingers that I don't regret the $$$ spent on it once opened.

All of it. Who wants to take it off my hands?

not I... I dont want any of your "crap" whiskey !!!! :grin:

Bought a bottle of Aristocrat KSBW. $7.35 a liter should be a clue. But the girl was selling me 375s of AAA 10 star from the 80s for $.99 so I agreed to get it. DOn't regret the AAA though.

I have a JRPS17, I'm crossing my fingers that I don't regret the $$$ spent on it once opened.

The 17 I had was fantastic. Both bottles I've tasted from of the 18 had a soil taste that was horrible. One too many years in wood I guess.

I've heard good things about the WTAS... what didn't you like about it?

It is no better than Turkey 101 or Rarebreed IMO, I might even prefer the 101 to this bottle of WTAS I have. My guess is that I got a dud and there has probably been some better bottles of this juice out there. Mine is an $18 whiskey in fancy packaging with a hefty price tag.

Makes me feel like the Wild Turkey company is pissing on my boots and telling me its raining.

In a blind taste test this juice would come in last to pretty much anything I can find on everyones shelf.

It is no better than Turkey 101 or Rarebreed IMO, I might even prefer the 101 to this bottle of WTAS I have. My guess is that I got a dud and there has probably been some better bottles of this juice out there. Mine is an $18 whiskey in fancy packaging with a hefty price tag.

Makes me feel like the Wild Turkey company is pissing on my boots and telling me its raining.

In a blind taste test this juice would come in last to pretty much anything I can find on everyones shelf.

One man's trash is anothers treasure...I really enjoy my bottle of WTAS and have a couple more in the bunker! ;)

PHC Golden

did you not enjoy the bourbon, or was it that the bourbon just didn't live up to the price you paid... just curious, i haven't tried it myself, can't bring myself to spend the money on a single bottle

I am also curious and would appreciate your thoughts. I really like the PHC50.

I like the the PHC Golden Anniversary at first I wasn't so sold on it but it grew on me.

It's your money how do you feel about it? That's what is important don't base your toughts of whiskies on other peoples opinions base it it on what you like.

did you not enjoy the bourbon, or was it that the bourbon just didn't live up to the price you paid... just curious, i haven't tried it myself, can't bring myself to spend the money on a single bottle

Mostly the cost. I don't think it is a 130$ bottle. I was really really disappointed in it at first, but over a year it got much better. Still would not buy it again, not even at the 80$ price point.

I had a real scare with a bottle of Rebel Yell. I went through a couple of bottles in the 70's and bought this bottle out of nostalgia for the good ole days. It just ruined my view of nostalgia. I left it in a dark cabinet for a couple of years and decided to give it one more try before I poured it in the bulk BBQ sauce jug. It actually had smoothed out and developed a nice character. It never made my top 1000 list but it went down smooth and didn't aggravate my gag reflex. Funny how a bottle will try harder to please after you put it in a dark corner fir a while.

It's your money how do you feel about it? That's what is important don't base your toughts of whiskies on other peoples opinions base it it on what you like.

I agree, and the response won't change my view. I just like to see if we're tasting the same things and disagreeing on the conclusion, or whether we're tasting something completely different. For example, the degree of woodiness - two people may actually taste the same level of woodiness, but disagree on whether they like that particular level. But if someone said there was strong orange marmalade and they hate (love) marmalade, so they hated (loved) the taste, then I'd want to go back and check, particularly if I didn't pick out that flavor. Just curiosity.

• 8 months later...

..Dickel #8. I like the #12, but the #8 has been languishing in the back of the cupboard and is only used for making homemade cough medicine. Even with honey and lemon and just a spoonful of whiskey it is still awful stuff.

I'd have to say a Knob Creek Christmas gift pack w/flask. After buying everyone else's Christmas (including a WT Rare Breed gift pack with a small pitcher for my brother), my budget limited me to two gift packs. The 4RSB w/glasses was a no-brainer. For my second, I chose the KC rather than the RB. Later, I had a pour from another open bottle of KC on my bar and an earthy, musty taste was really prominent. It was so prominent that I pictured a busted up wooden coffin dug up from it's cemetary plot. It was like a scene from a zombie movie. Is that weird? Now, the KC gift pack is no where near my bar but shoved in the back of my closet. I may have to re-gift it next xmas. Oh, and I think the flask is plastic. I picked up a stainless one from Wal-Mart on clearance for .99.

It bugs me because KC was one of my regular pours, but I won't be ready to give it another chance anytime soon.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.