What bourbon DO you regret buying?

Parkersback
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

The only bottle of bourbon that I regret buying was EC 12. The first pour made me shiver. I thought I would let it air out for awhile and try it again. Several months passed and I tried another pour. Well it still tasted like bilge water. I poured it down the sink so the rats in the sewer could get a buzz. It may have just been a bad bottle but I have never bought it again.

Hmmm..... I would have to disagree with the gasoline description :grin: .

Having finally found WT Rye, I have to say that I really enjoy it.

edit: I see this is my 426th post... my favorite "gasoline" powered engine. 426 Hemi anyone?

I also enjoy WT Rye. To my liking it is one of the better ryes for the money.

Joe :usflag:

Geez, cut me some slack.

The title of the thread is "What bourbon DO you regret buying?" not "What do you think about what other SB members regret buying?" or "Let's debate what other members regret buying!" :grin:

I admit that I was partially off topic with listing a rye whiskey as my choice, but I think that's allowed.

For both above, I will just say...I'm glad to leave more for you to enjoy.

None. If I don't like them straight, they all blend well with ginger ale. The bottle I most compare to gasoline? My bottle of FR small batch. Burns like an SOB going down!

Thomas

I have regretted many bourbon purchases over the past 40 years, but the only recent purchases that come to mind are 1792 and Bulleit.

Tim

Geez, cut me some slack.

The title of the thread is "What bourbon DO you regret buying?" not "What do you think about what other SB members regret buying?" or "Let's debate what other members regret buying!" :grin:

I admit that I was partially off topic with listing a rye whiskey as my choice, but I think that's allowed.

For both above, I will just say...I'm glad to leave more for you to enjoy.

LOL... I didn't mean to come across like I was bagging on you. It was just a spur of the moment response. :lol:

For me, it was ORVW 10/107. It tasted so medicinal that I couldn't drink it. However, it did not go to waste - it became part of my eggnog blend later that year.

First time I got my OGD114 I was disappointed... but I didn't know how to appreciate it then. Now I really enjoy it.

Recently I got a bottle of Buffalo Trace and it was truly uninspiring to me. However, it makes decent mint juleps

Old Forester Birthday Bourbon 2009. I stumbled upon it just after having read great things about the 2010 release. Not paying sufficient attention to the label, I brought the 2009 home (the 2010 wasn't on the shelf yet). Worse, I paid duty on that sucker, so the final price was nearly double the standard price. I know there's some debate around these parts about whether it's a "bad" whiskey or just a peculiar one, but it's plain awful in my books.

Old Forester Birthday Bourbon 2009. I stumbled upon it just after having read great things about the 2010 release. Not paying sufficient attention to the label, I brought the 2009 home (the 2010 wasn't on the shelf yet). Worse, I paid duty on that sucker, so the final price was nearly double the standard price. I know there's some debate around these parts about whether it's a "bad" whiskey or just a peculiar one, but it's plain awful in my books.

I won't buy any Birthday Bourbon in the future. I was excited to get two bottles of 2007 and the one I opened only has about 4 pours out of it. I just don't like it.

I have learned since that I'm just not a fan of any HH products except for the Parkers Heritage series and Rittenhouse BIB. Not sure why, I'm just not into the house profile.

I was one of the defenders of the 09 OFBB and I still don't think it was as bad as some said it was, but maybe I just don't have a "superior palate". That said, it still wasn't nearly as good as the 07, 08 or even the 2010 edition. Easily the worst OFBB I've had.

Regrets? I've had a few. What I regret most are expensive bottles that didn't deliver. ER 17 and Handy (never had a year I thought was worth the $$$), and Vintage 17, the old non-wheater version. That and the ER 17 were just dull to me.

The last bottle of Handy I bought, I diluted it to 90 proof and had it alongside Baby Saz and I could not tell the difference. The price was such then that it was still a bargain. By the time I finished it the price had gone up and it was no longer worth it to me. Ironically, it's currently easier to find than the baby Saz, at least around here.

I've only ever had 1 bottle I really regret buying - Fighting Cock. I stumbled onto the last stocks in our state and bought out the remaining 2 bottles in the store. Unfortunately it just isn't my taste - too raw with a burn from start to finish.

I've had three bottles that I regreted buying - not because I don't like the brand, but because the bottles were tainted. Each one exhibited a medicinal and mouldy earth characharistic (even mixing with Coke doesn't cover the taint).. They were Elijah Craig 18, Old Grand Dad 114 and George Dickel Barrel Select.

I've definately tasted examples of each of these bottles that were great, so I know it was my bottles. Will I buy them again? Definately! But it would only take another tainted example of any of them to put my off the brand for good :skep:

As I've told many people, I know I've got more stuff in my bunker than I will ever be able to drink in my lifetime. As I look on my shelves, I see several bottles that I will probably never open, since I've got too many other bottles that I really enjoy more.

Things that I wish I had not purchased (or maybe not purchased as many)

BTAC Sazeracs

I'll make you a deal - you let me know how many BTAC Saz 18's you got laying around, how much you want for each of 'em, and I'll probably just take them all off your hands...that's my favorite whiskey in the world. Cool? :)

Just PM me, I would love to help you with your "predicament."

Cheers,

B~

I was one of the defenders of the 09 OFBB and I still don't think it was as bad as some said it was, but maybe I just don't have a "superior palate". That said, it still wasn't nearly as good as the 07, 08 or even the 2010 edition. Easily the worst OFBB I've had.

Regrets? I've had a few. What I regret most are expensive bottles that didn't deliver. ER 17 and Handy (never had a year I thought was worth the $$$), and Vintage 17, the old non-wheater version. That and the ER 17 were just dull to me.

The last bottle of Handy I bought, I diluted it to 90 proof and had it alongside Baby Saz and I could not tell the difference. The price was such then that it was still a bargain. By the time I finished it the price had gone up and it was no longer worth it to me. Ironically, it's currently easier to find than the baby Saz, at least around here.

I'll second on the Handy. I really don't regret anything I've bought for the juice in the bottle but I don't think the Handy's were/are worth the money.

As I've told many people, I know I've got more stuff in my bunker than I will ever be able to drink in my lifetime. As I look on my shelves, I see several bottles that I will probably never open, since I've got too many other bottles that I really enjoy more.

Things that I wish I had not purchased (or maybe not purchased as many)

BTAC Sazeracs

I'll make you a deal - you let me know how many BTAC Saz 18's you got laying around, how much you want for each of 'em, and I'll probably just take them all off your hands...that's my favorite whiskey in the world. Cool? :)

Just PM me, I would love to help you with your "predicament."

Cheers,

B~

Any Mods or others, please jump in if I'm out of line here...

Humchan2K, as you may or may not know, it's illegal to sell or trade booze without a license. Publicly soliciting that kind of thing could put this board, or our gracious host, Mr. Butler, at risk.

Of course, I haven't any idea what people may say or arrange when they privately PM or email each other. It's none of my business, and I like it that way.

I don't know that I really regret any bourbon that I purchased. Maybe Saz18 and ER17. Now that I have had more ryes I am starting to come around to the Saz a bit so by the time I slowly finish the bottle maybe I will end up looking for another, who knows. ER17 isn't bad and I would pick some more up if it were $40 but for $70 I'll be passing from now on.

I don't buy too much scotch but I bought a bottle of Balvenie 21yr Portwood. I really liked the Balvenie 12 and like port wines so figured why not. I can't stand the stuff. It's actually just awful to me. It's the single reason I passed on Angel's Envy which might be great but I probably won't buy a bottle til I try it first and know for sure I like it.

Wild Turkey American Spirit ($88)

Vintage 17 ($56)

All Bourbons I would pass on for $20...

Any Mods or others, please jump in if I'm out of line here...

Humchan2K, as you may or may not know, it's illegal to sell or trade booze without a license. Publicly soliciting that kind of thing could put this board, or our gracious host, Mr. Butler, at risk.

Of course, I haven't any idea what people may say or arrange when they privately PM or email each other. It's none of my business, and I like it that way.[/quote

I would also want to make it very clear, I was responding to the post about what I regretted buying, not making a "bunker is for sale" advertisement. If and when I find my "bunker buyers remorse" getting to the point of needing a resolution, appropriate measures will be taken to find a new home for the misfits that do not include violating the terms and conditions of straightbourbon.com

Tom

To all of y'all, yeah, ok, so I had no clue that I was breaking any rules by making a joke....didn't realize I was screwing everyone's day up.

I'll go over here and hide in the corner now...and I'll be sure to stay off your lawn too, for good measure.

To all of y'all, yeah, ok, so I had no clue that I was breaking any rules by making a joke....didn't realize I was screwing everyone's day up.

I'll go over here and hide in the corner now...and I'll be sure to stay off your lawn too, for good measure.

After buying/trying a bottle of AH Hirsch 16 BW in 1995, I bought three more bottles, plus one 20yo. If I could do it over, I'd have bought more of the 16s and not bought the 20.

As for others, well, the point's been made that if it's something you wanted to try, and there was not other way to do it, then regret per se is not really how I feel about it.

There are certainly ones which did not live up to expectations, or were not worth the price.

WTAS has been mentioned. I found it to be no better than WTRB. I paid $92 for it.

There are also a number I bought to use in VBTs and/or to review, and did not have high expectations. I wasn't disappointed (or perhaps I should say I was disappointed, but expected to be).

I do regret that Scott (Ox) did not send his WT Rye to me.

1. Who bit your head off? I reminded you of the rules you signed off on in order to post here.

2. My day was not screwed up.

3. A corner is a terrible place to hide.

4. I wish I had a lawn. If I had one, I'd invite you on to it for a pour of whatever struck your fancy from my bunker.

1. Who bit your head off? I reminded you of the rules you signed off on in order to post here. - I'm sensitive?

2. My day was not screwed up. - GOOD!

3. A corner is a terrible place to hide. - Depends on how dark it is! :)

4. I wish I had a lawn. If I had one, I'd invite you on to it for a pour of whatever struck your fancy from my bunker.

Well, shucks, that's right neighborly of you!

I really wish there was a bourbon drinkers' meet up group here in LA, instead all we have is some nerdy LA Whisky Society thingy that Sku and other scotch lovers are all a part of...

If I could try, just once before I die, some AH Hirsch red wax, I think I could go gently into that good night.....I'd also like to knock out the owner of Liberty in Seattle, Andrew, with a hammer and sneak back into the kitchen and take the rest of the incredible bottle of 1940's SW Old Fitz he let me have a dram from......and then of course I'd revive him and buy him something nice. :)

Knob Creek and a Dusty Old Charter 7.

They have both been open forever and always seem to have the same amount in them. I think that means I don't like them :).

Before learning about bourbon, I bought into the marketing and bought MM and KC, thinking they were top shelf. In fact, that's where they remain - on my shelf, for the wife to use in cooking. Good thing I learned on SB that bourbon could be used to replace vanilla. Every once in a (long) while, I'll check back, usually to compare it to something new I've opened up, but that's about it. Cooking & control yard stick.

Now that I think about it, I could have almost bought two bottles of Weller 12 for the price I paid for either bottle of MM or KC. That's regret.

Wild Turkey American Spirit ($88)

Vintage 17 ($56)

All Bourbons I would pass on for $20...

I've heard good things about the WTAS... what didn't you like about it?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.