Turkey Collection

OscarV
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

C'man man, now ya got me thinking!! Spill!
[QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Don't want to jinx it, but I will fill ya in when I got it in hand.

btw, question for you and others: the lead crystal decanters - isn't it unsafe to drink whiskey (or anything) that has been in it for a long time?

I have heard that, and in fact a local liquor store refuses to sell me two decanters they have on display for that (stated) reason.

Go for it Oscar. I like Wild Turkey and dream of a collection like that but my problem is I drink it faster than I can get it.

• 1 month later...

BTW, not that anyone asked, but I have a line on three other botles that I have been chasing that are not in the pic.

It looks real good.

C'man man, now ya got me thinking!! Spill!

Don't want to jinx it, but I will fill ya in when I got it in hand.

OK, Scott below is a pic of two of the three.

They are on the left Old No 8 86.8prf and the other is a 86.8prf with the 7 year age statement.

The third one is in the possession of Tony aka ACDetroit, it is a WT Liquor in the brown glass bottle as opposed to the clear glass.

post-1534-14489817463538_thumb.jpg

Awesome Oscar!!

Love the new additions brother!!

And you know I understand it better than most!!

hahaha

Cheers!

Scott

I had the pleasure of visiting the shrine again this week.

There is a certain sense of peace and calmness in that room that rivals some museums I've been in.

What about the different labels for the old 8 year? Or are you just keeping it simple with only one?

Yeah, just going with each name.

Also not going for same names is different sizes but if I stumble across some old Turkeys in 1.75 or 375ml bottles I won't pass on them, I'm always looking for something good to drink.

• 1 month later...

Out of curiousity, do any of your bottles of WT rye say "Distilled in Pennsylvania" on them???????

Out of curiousity, do any of your bottles of WT rye say "Distilled in Pennsylvania" on them???????
[QUOTE][/QUOTE]

No, all Lawrenceburg KY.

Why do you ask?

For several years in the 1970's, Wild Turkey had moved its rye production to Michter's in Schaefferstown, PA and used their rye as WT rye. Sam Komlenic is fortunate enough to have an empty bottle of WT rye from Michter's. Wild Turkey, by the end of the 70's, had plans to buy the distillery and even made a bid on it, hoping to be able to produce their rye there permanently. They even sent engineers up and assessed the site's distilling and aging capacities, in addition to the water wells on site. They were looking at making WT Spring Water there also. Unfortunately, they were outbid and production of WT ended at Michter's. If WT had bought Michter's, I can say without a doubt that the distillery would still be open today.

For several years in the 1970's, Wild Turkey had moved its rye production to Michter's in Schaefferstown, PA and used their rye as WT rye. Sam Komlenic is fortunate enough to have an empty bottle of WT rye from Michter's. Wild Turkey, by the end of the 70's, had plans to buy the distillery and even made a bid on it, hoping to be able to produce their rye there permanently. They even sent engineers up and assessed the site's distilling and aging capacities, in addition to the water wells on site. They were looking at making WT Spring Water there also. Unfortunately, they were outbid and production of WT ended at Michter's. If WT had bought Michter's, I can say without a doubt that the distillery would still be open today.

While I really appreciate the history, and hope you keep it coming, I must say, "Dude, let it go. Michter's ain't coming back."

Don't worry, I've come to realize that DSP-PA-17 will never run again. I was merely making a statement that if history would have played out differently, I believe Michter's would still be an operating distillery site. But, like Continental in Philly, it's just going to slowly return to nature.

• 5 months later...

impressive roundup there. i think this is the first edition of the 12 year old turkey before the gold foil one. its got a tax stamp. didnt notice it in your collection, have you seen it?

post-2013-14489817734452_thumb.jpg

Hey Oscar, do you have the old style of WT liquer in the 80 proof version? I know they exist as I have minis of them in my collection!

Thomas

impressive roundup there. i think this is the first edition of the 12 year old turkey before the gold foil one. its got a tax stamp. didnt notice it in your collection, have you seen it?

NIIiiice! Never saw that bottle before but then again, I'm not a WT expert. WT12 yo is one of my favorite bourbons.

• 11 months later...

before this thread gets laid to rest, i would like to inquire about the differences between the 3rd and 4th 12 years you have on the shelf there. i have a single label 700ml export version but have never seen the other split label one there. just wondering if you had any info on that one. the new 12 year has a blue label and its definitely as good as the previous export version.

Why have I not seen this thread before? Great pics, O! I too have often enjoyed the calm serenity of the Shrine. You have a new picture of the recent additions to post?

I'm glad you bumped this thread Josh. I was meaning to ask for an updated pic also with the recent acquisition. I have not been to the shrine but enjoy seeing pics of it.

Impressive! Although I think I would build some rails on those display shelves, especially since the upper one looks pretty narrow. One bump and you potentially have a disaster of epic proportions!

Impressive! Although I think I would build some rails on those display shelves, especially since the upper one looks pretty narrow. One bump and you potentially have a disaster of epic proportions!

Yeah, but you've gotta get past the electrified razor-wire to get close enough to bump it. :grin:

A true thing of beauty Oscar!I like the new shelving really a top notch display of all that is Wild Turkey,Good Show!

A true thing of beauty Oscar!I like the new shelving really a top notch display of all that is Wild Turkey,Good Show!

Thanks, I'll break it down later with shelf pics and descriptions.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.