What Beer are you drinking summer 2011

HipFlask
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hidden

I do like pumpkin beers when there is a chill in the air and I'm sitting outside a college football stadium listening to the crowd while tailgating. I go between the pumpkin and Octoberfest beers and all seems right with the world!

I drank some Shock Top Pumkin Wheat today but it was in the service of the company I work for.

I grabbed the Leinenkugel Summer Shandy line at a bar on Eastern Michigan's campus and hooked up my Shock Top Pumkin and they thought it was great.

I didn't tell them that both sucked, just the Leinenkugels.

Hey, I got a family to feed.

I just bought one of those mini-barrels of Hofbrau Oktoberfest and it was terrific. Nice way to kick off the NFL season.

I like the idea of Pumpkin Beers, but after having a bad night after some Harvest Moon (Blue Moon's rendition), I am shy to try any more. We just got some Punk'n from Uinta and it has been received pretty well, so I may get a 6er of that and see if it gets me going again. Its not quite cool enough here, and I'm going to have to seek out a new cold weather beer to love since the geniuses at New Belgium dropped their only beer I liked, 2º Below.

I'm really enjoying New Belgium's Hoptober. New Belgium makes Fat Tire Ale.

I also finally tried Lagunitas IPA and wonder why I waited. Nice ale.

I've all but sworn off New Belgium, their product quality has suffered considerably in the past couple of years, particularly with Fat Tire. The fact that they are going with an operation in NY is also particularly odd for a "local brewery." It seems to me as though they have gotten too big for their own heads, its clear to me that they care more about the bottom line than they do about the quality of their product. Its a shame to see, they used to be a great brewery, but I'm beyond the end of my rope with them.

In other news, I am having a Hoppy Boy IPA from Twisted Pine Brewing Company here in Boulder.

I've all but sworn off New Belgium, their product quality has suffered considerably in the past couple of years, particularly with Fat Tire. The fact that they are going with an operation in NY is also particularly odd for a "local brewery." It seems to me as though they have gotten too big for their own heads, its clear to me that they care more about the bottom line than they do about the quality of their product. Its a shame to see, they used to be a great brewery, but I'm beyond the end of my rope with them.

Even the Costco special, 4-pack of Duvel is better. Still, the Fat Tire was drinkable.

Had some Boulevard Bob's '47 Oktoberfest and Abita Pecan Harvest Ale over the past two days. (The former on a recommendation from my KC people and the latter in hopes that drinking the Saints' milkshake would help the Bears today.)

Definitely recommend the Boulevard (total malt bomb), but the Abita wasn't anything special in terms of a brown ale. Pecan flavor was extremely light and may have been imagined more than it was actually tasted.

Two Brothers Atom Smasher, a Marzen/Oktoberfest-style beer that is aged in French oak foudres--nice and malty but didn't seem to notice much of the oak influence. Worth checking out!

In other news, I am having a Hoppy Boy IPA from Twisted Pine Brewing Company here in Boulder.

I don't know their products well enough to comment on any drop off in quality but I will say that I tried the Hoptober recently and really enjoyed it. Is it primarily the Fat Tire that has undergone negative changes or the entire line? I seem to recall that Mighty Arrow was quite nice this summer, but again I wouldn't have anything to compare it to.

Two Brothers Atom Smasher, a Marzen/Oktoberfest-style beer that is aged in French oak foudres--nice and malty but didn't seem to notice much of the oak influence. Worth checking out!

I loved this beer to death when they launched it last year. This year's has a slight sour note to it that I don't recall it having before. Not enough to ruin it for me, but I'm a bit down on it now.

Besides all of the great things about going to Kentucky for KBF and having a Hootenanney with y'all Bad Americans :D, is the opportunity to pick up a mini- bunker of the Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold. The irony in this is perfect, BTW. Wonderful, wonderful, beer. Enjoying one now with dinner. Most definitely in my Top 5.

Besides all of the great things about going to Kentucky for KBF and having a Hootenanney with y'all Bad Americans :D, is the opportunity to pick up a mini- bunker of the Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold. The irony in this is perfect, BTW. Wonderful, wonderful, beer. Enjoying one now with dinner. Most definitely in my Top 5.

Smuttynose Imperial Stout, part of its Big Beer series. An exemplary Imperial Stout, it reminds me of the legendary Courage Imperial Russian Stout, an English product which left the market in the early 1990's and had roots in the earliest days of London porter-brewing.

It's got a silky black malty taste with a good forward bitterness. The hops are English (not U.S.) in orientation, as is meet for the style.

The U.S. makes some of the best beers in the world today.

Gary

Am I correct to assume that this can't be found down here in our great state?

Hey, Jack. I haven't seen any of the GLB beers here, in GA. Hopefully, they have plans to expand distribution here in the future.

If only you knew a couple of nice chaps who work and/or live within a couple of miles of where GLB brews their beer...

What opportunities could such an arrangement bring?

If only you knew a couple of nice chaps who work and/or live within a couple of miles of where GLB brews their beer...

What opportunities could such an arrangement bring?

Hmmm...I'm sure something could be worked out!

Speaking of GLB, they have a current seasonal offering out now called Nosferatu Imperial Red Ale. I love a red ale that stays away from the sweet side of malt, and that's what this is. On first taste, it reminds me very much of a richer, stronger version of their Conway's Irish Ale. I could drink their Conway's Irish year-round (only available Jan-April), so I was thrilled to discover this Nosferatu.

I've also been enjoying Anchor Humming Ale. Its crisp, mellow citrus and subtlely bitter hops seem to me a bit out of character for a fall seasonal, but i don't care in the least; it's very tasty and immensely drinkable.

Enjoyed a fabulous bottle of Guinness Foreign Extra Stout last night. Even better was the price: It usually sells for $10 a four pack and I found a stash for $4 a four pack and made off with two cases!:grin:

Enjoyed a fabulous bottle of Guinness Foreign Extra Stout last night. Even better was the price: It usually sells for $10 a four pack and I found a stash for $4 a four pack and made off with two cases!:grin:

You lucky dog, Hank! Great price. Our Gary Gillman introduced me to FSE last year, and it's one of my favorites. As the weather is cooling, I'm looking forward to getting back to drinking it. I'll pick some up this weekend!

:toast:

You lucky dog, Hank! Great price. Our Gary Gillman introduced me to FSE last year, and it's one of my favorites. As the weather is cooling, I'm looking forward to getting back to drinking it. I'll pick some up this weekend!

:toast:

The woman at the liquor store said something about an "overstock" situation, which is why they dropped the price so much. I honestly couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the stack of cases and the sign above it with the $3.99 price tag. I sort of regret not buying even more, but with money being as tight as it is for us these days I couldn't really spring for any more than the two cases I bought. Enjoy your Guinness FES and don't forget the Irish whiskey on the side!:grin:

I don't know their products well enough to comment on any drop off in quality but I will say that I tried the Hoptober recently and really enjoyed it. Is it primarily the Fat Tire that has undergone negative changes or the entire line? I seem to recall that Mighty Arrow was quite nice this summer, but again I wouldn't have anything to compare it to.

The Hoptober isn't bad by any means. But its just been off putting to see beers go down and by the wayside (-2º below, Mighty Arrow, etc...). I'm sure New Belgium has a large following nationally. But locally, they have begun a downturn.

In one of my classes today, New Belgium's director of Media Relations, Bryan Simpson, came in for a presentation. Although he spoke highly of New Belgium's commitment to being green and environmentally conscious, what I left with was a bittersweet feeling. He mentioned that their 5 year plan consists of them becoming a national brand, with distribution in all 50 states, as well as adding another brewery to the eastern seaboard. Currently they produce 700,000 barrels annually, but he even hinted that that number is a low estimate. All he cared to talk about was the money they have spent on 'new, green technologies' that set them apart from other breweries. And while that may be appealing to some, its not to me.

He mentioned nothing about a passion for brewing, he seemed to not care at all about the quality of the products produced. I came out of his presentation with the conclusions that New Belgium only cares about: quantity produces, the bottom line, and the crazed growth.

Now looking at these factors in a pure business sense, there is nothing wrong on the surface. But from a consumer standpoint much has gone wrong. New Belgium has resorted to a basic core of beers, and doesn't seem to have the passion to create new beers, they don't seem to want to experiment anymore. I loved Bew Belgium when they had a new beer for every season, and when their staples were phenomenal beers. But now, across the board it really seems they are just totally set on the bottom line and are just churning out beers without questioning quality.

New Belgium is destined to be the next Boston Brewing Company (fwiw).

I'm still trying to piece together what was said today, I got no feeling of a passion for beer from the speaker, just a passion for the bottom line. Which in my eyes, is no way for a craft brewer to operate. I don't see Sam Calagione penny pinching to make a profit, I see a man passionate and crazy coming out with beers that people never thought were possible. New Belgium could use some crazy, some innovation, and some great new products. But if they want to go abroad, and be in 50 states, then that's their choice, and I am sure there will be no shortage of followers; I just don't think I'll be one of them.

The Hoptober isn't bad by any means. But its just been off putting to see beers go down and by the wayside (-2º below, Mighty Arrow, etc...). I'm sure New Belgium has a large following nationally. But locally, they have begun a downturn.

In one of my classes today, New Belgium's director of Media Relations, Bryan Simpson, came in for a presentation. Although he spoke highly of New Belgium's commitment to being green and environmentally conscious, what I left with was a bittersweet feeling. He mentioned that their 5 year plan consists of them becoming a national brand, with distribution in all 50 states, as well as adding another brewery to the eastern seaboard. Currently they produce 700,000 barrels annually, but he even hinted that that number is a low estimate. All he cared to talk about was the money they have spent on 'new, green technologies' that set them apart from other breweries. And while that may be appealing to some, its not to me.

He mentioned nothing about a passion for brewing, he seemed to not care at all about the quality of the products produced. I came out of his presentation with the conclusions that New Belgium only cares about: quantity produces, the bottom line, and the crazed growth.

Now looking at these factors in a pure business sense, there is nothing wrong on the surface. But from a consumer standpoint much has gone wrong. New Belgium has resorted to a basic core of beers, and doesn't seem to have the passion to create new beers, they don't seem to want to experiment anymore. I loved Bew Belgium when they had a new beer for every season, and when their staples were phenomenal beers. But now, across the board it really seems they are just totally set on the bottom line and are just churning out beers without questioning quality.

New Belgium is destined to be the next Boston Brewing Company (fwiw).

I'm still trying to piece together what was said today, I got no feeling of a passion for beer from the speaker, just a passion for the bottom line. Which in my eyes, is no way for a craft brewer to operate. I don't see Sam Calagione penny pinching to make a profit, I see a man passionate and crazy coming out with beers that people never thought were possible. New Belgium could use some crazy, some innovation, and some great new products. But if they want to go abroad, and be in 50 states, then that's their choice, and I am sure there will be no shortage of followers; I just don't think I'll be one of them.

Very interesting, Moose. May I ask what type of class this was?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.