What Beer are you drinking summer 2011

HipFlask
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

The Gubna, iced. It rocks.

Gary

P.S. Thanks again Cliff.

I enjoyed a draft Crooked Tree IPA from the Dark Horse Brewery this evening over dinner. An excellent IPA over a spicy meal.

I did have a couple of Torpedo IPA before outdoors grilling yesterday. We get in most American beer as temporary releases and this is the best middle strong IPA we have in the year around assortment in our government store. It tasted splendid in the very hot summer whether we got here. It is perfect vacation whether.

Leif

I did have a couple of Torpedo IPA before outdoors grilling yesterday. We get in most American beer as temporary releases and this is the best middle strong IPA we have in the year around assortment in our government store. It tasted splendid in the very hot summer whether we got here. It is perfect vacation whether.

Leif

Sounds great, Leif. I had my first Sierra Nevada Torpedo IPA's last night too and thoroughly enjoyed it. As big as they've gotten, Sierra Nevada is still cranking out great beer with no dip in quality that I can see. I sure wish they did a sampler twelve pack so I wouldn't have to drop $10 a six pack to taste their other seasonal/special edition products.

Started with a Dogfish Festina Peche, moved on to Kingfisher before getting serious and just going for the bourbon.

Sounds great, Leif. I had my first Sierra Nevada Torpedo IPA's last night too and thoroughly enjoyed it. As big as they've gotten, Sierra Nevada is still cranking out great beer with no dip in quality that I can see. I sure wish they did a sampler twelve pack so I wouldn't have to drop $10 a six pack to taste their other seasonal/special edition products.

Find a place that sells them by the bottle. I'm pretty sure Whole Foods does, in nothing less expensive.

The problem with doing a collection of seasonal beers is that they are seasonal and aren't brewed at the same time. Any collection would have some beers at least nine months old.

The special edition beers are, for the most part, sold singly in large bottles. I'm pretty sure Big Foot is the only one that isn't.

They did sell a collection of their Beer Camp brews recently.

They could do a variety pack of their regular beers. That would be handy.

Find a place that sells them by the bottle. I'm pretty sure Whole Foods does, in nothing less expensive.

The problem with doing a collection of seasonal beers is that they are seasonal and aren't brewed at the same time. Any collection would have some beers at least nine months old.

The special edition beers are, for the most part, sold singly in large bottles. I'm pretty sure Big Foot is the only one that isn't.

They did sell a collection of their Beer Camp brews recently.

They could do a variety pack of their regular beers. That would be handy.

A variety pack of their regular beers is definitely in order. But I was thinking along the lines of a pair of seasonals in late spring/early summer (Glissade Golden Bock and Summerfest) coupled with their Pale Ale, Torpedo and Kellerweis. Then in the late fall they could do Tumbler Brown Ale and Celebration Ale paired with their Porter and Stout. Sam Adams does something like this and it works out great.

Dale's Pale Ale. Good stuff, and I'm beginning to really favor beer from cans, as they seem to keep beer fresher.

I was back home in Michigan a week or so back and over a few days, opened about 4-5 bottles of my one of my favorites, Bell's Oberon. The dates on them were all fine., but about half of them were "off" or even skunked. It was a pretty big bummer, I really look forward to Oberon in the summertime.

Bell's Two Hearted and Arrogant Bastard Ale. Hops galore in both and plenty of great flavors to accompany a big, fat New York strip steak I grilled up last evening.

Sierra Nevada Summerfest. I'm not really a pilsner guy, but it's darned hot, and I wanted something light and relatively low in alcohol so I can drink a few of them, and I didn't want to wait for a mass market American beer to get cold enough to drink (nearly frozen).

This one works. I don't know if I'll make it a regular, but it's hitting the spot right now.

Too much Miller Lite at a work happy hour. At least it was free and there was NTN Trivia!

I had a Samuel Smith's Organic Cherry Ale tonight with dinner. Quite possibly the most well balanced cherry beer I've ever had. Not as wanting for cherry as the Founder's Cerise, not fake like Sam Adam's Cherry Wheat, and not as overwhelmingly cherry-sweet as the New Glarus Wisconsin Belgian Red....

Went out with a few folks for an Indian food feast.... beers we sampled with dinner...

Victory Headwaters Pale Ale (PA)

Aecht Schlenkeria Urbock. The best smoked beer I’ve had. (German)

Hot Rod Rye (CA) - really liked this one

Kingfisher (Indian)

Haubrauhaus Munchen (German)

Haywards 5000 (Indian). Our favorite Indian beer.

Godfather. Its Indian!!!

Flying Horse Royal Lager (Indian)

Taj-Mahal (Indian)

I had a Samuel Smith's Organic Cherry Ale tonight with dinner. Quite possibly the most well balanced cherry beer I've ever had. Not as wanting for cherry as the Founder's Cerise, not fake like Sam Adam's Cherry Wheat, and not as overwhelmingly cherry-sweet as the New Glarus Wisconsin Belgian Red....

I've been on a can kick - so much easier to deal with an empty can than an empty beer bottle, and no suffering of the taste. In the battle of IPAs Anderson Valley beat out Avery. Both were very refreshing, but AV had more body and more complexity.

Also had some Ska Mexican Logger. A little on the sweet side for me, but went very well with a Peruvian meal. If you ever find yourself in Chicago, I heartily recommend Ay Ay Picante. BYOB!

Schlafly Bavarian Weissbier. It's nothing special, but it is true to style, with notes of clove and subtle banana. It's light and refreshing and under 5% ABV, which is perfect for this weather.

Tackling some end of the day paperwork with a Founder's Centennial IPA.

Some Yazoo Hops Project. Not a bad beer at all. Hoppy for sure. Not as good as Bell's Big 2 Hearted for sure

Philadelphia Pale Ale and Victory Prima Pils ... w/ some RR10/90 and WT101...

A couple of Bell's beer that take ageing well. Sparkling Ale and Batch 9000. Batch 9000 had really improved with ageing. Sparkling Ale is one of my all time favorite beers. I wish I had more.

Neither would be considered a warm weather beer but what the hell. Someone has to enjoy them, it may as well be me.

W

Enjoyed a Full Sail bourbon-barrel-aged stout this evening. It was extra dark, thick, and delicious! Definitely not a, "pound as many as you can over the course of an evening" brew, but a gorgeous sipping beer!

A Green Flash Brewing West Coast IPA at my hotel bar. These IPA's all do seem to run together.

A Green Flash Brewing West Coast IPA at my hotel bar. These IPA's all do seem to run together.

I had a regular Sam Adams this evening and it tasted pretty damn good to me. I hadn't had one of these in over a year - I need to pick up a six pack every now and then!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.