Parker's Heritage Collection 2011

BradleyC
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Looking back, it seems Heaven Hill usually announces what the PHC bottling for the year will be in early August. I know we are a few weeks away but I wanted to bring it up anyway. Any thoughts on what it will be? I'm hoping for a barrel proof 10 year or more rye.

Looking back, it seems Heaven Hill usually announces what the PHC bottling for the year will be in early August. I know we are a few weeks away but I wanted to bring it up anyway. Any thoughts on what it will be? I'm hoping for a barrel proof 10 year or more rye.

I'm hoping for a straight wheat that changes all my preconceptions about what a straight wheat can be.

I wish there were another avenue for specialty bottlings by Heaven Hill, because what I'd really like is a kind of progress report bottling on how their own distillate of rye from Bernheim is doing. That may not really be appropriate for a Parker's release, which proves the need... ;)

Roger

I'm hoping for a straight wheat that changes all my preconceptions about what a straight wheat can be.

I wish there were another avenue for specialty bottlings by Heaven Hill, because what I'd really like is a kind of progress report bottling on how their own distillate of rye from Bernheim is doing. That may not really be appropriate for a Parker's release, which proves the need... ;)

Roger

Maybe HH will make a Rye at Bernheim that actually tastes like a Rye. B-F Rye tastes like a solid high-rye Bourbon to me. Before all the Ritt lovers jump on my case, let me state that I like it, but I think it would fool people in a blind line-up.

Turkey screams Rye. LDI screams Rye. Sazerac screams Rye. VWFRR screams Rye. But Ritt, not so much.

I really hope you're right. I'd kill to see HH, or any major, release a 10yr Rye at cask strength.

I would like to see anything at cask strength and under $100.

I agree. The Golden Anniversary and 27 Year were a bit too pricey. If they could keep it in the $75 range I would be happy.

...I'd kill to see HH, or any major, release a 10yr Rye at cask strength.

Aren't the two Bowman releases essentially that?

OH, and no need to kill - Virginia is for Lovers.

Roger

Thanks Oscar, I had heard it was some sort of Barrel finish. I think it should be called Parker's 46.

A barrel finish is usually not my thing. Hopefully I can score a sample before making a purchase.

Thanks Oscar, I had heard it was some sort of Barrel finish. I think it should be called Parker's 46.

Now, now, now, lets not go there.:grin:

A barrel finish is usually not my thing. Hopefully I can score a sample before making a purchase.

Same here, I want to try it but I don't want to buy it.

Now, now, now, lets not go there.:grin:

Same here, I want to try it but I don't want to buy it.

Somebody should set up a tasting of a few parkers including the new one;)

Wade and I got to try this years cognac finish with Parker Beam and Rob Hutchins here at Tales of the Cocktail where it is making its debut. A 10yo bourbon with approximately six months of finishing in a cognac barrel.

In fact, I snuck in two tastes. No typical HH mentholyptus in this. Light fruit notes show up with a long, slightly dry finish. Not bad, but wasn't a show stopper to me (but not many are these days). Reminds me a bit of the french oak barrel BTEC from a few years ago. Might buy it depending on price. IIRC, there isn't a lot of this to be had.

Randy

Wade and I got to try this years cognac finish with Parker Beam and Rob Hutchins here at Tales of the Cocktail where it is making its debut. A 10yo bourbon with approximately six months of finishing in a cognac barrel.

In fact, I snuck in two tastes. No typical HH mentholyptus in this. Light fruit notes show up with a long, slightly dry finish. Not bad, but wasn't a show stopper to me (but not many are these days). Reminds me a bit of the french oak barrel BTEC from a few years ago. Might buy it depending on price. IIRC, there isn't a lot of this to be had.

Randy

Thanks for the notes, Randy. Do you recall the proof?

Years ago, Beam did a Distillers Masterpiece 18 yo bourbon finished in cognac barrels. I had a taste and remember that I liked it. (In fact, I think I got a bottle somewhere in the bunker....)

HH had a really nice flyer describing the process in detail.....which I failed to get a copy. So I don't recall the proof Joe, but my tasting memory tells me it wasn't barrel proof. The cognac barrels were fairly young.....like they had held the cognac for only three years or so. I have had a few of the finished bourbons and this one is right up there.....if you like that sort of thing. The influences from the cognac barrel are minor to me. YMMV.

Randy

PS Maybe Wade grabbed a flyer, so he can fill in the details. I was too busy getting my Parker Heritage Collection shot glass.

Thanks for all of the info. Sounds interesting enough. I hope the price isn't as high as what the Beam Distiller's Masterpiece was.

Good job, Randy. Don't take the paper, when you can get the hardware! :D. In general, I'm finding myself having to slowly work my way into the finished bourbons. I have to treat them entirely different than when approaching traditional bourbons. I'm still on the fence, but I believe they're growing on me. I do appreciate the efforts, though, and I'm sure I'll seek out this Parker's. As for Wade getting the flyer, I wouldn't bet on it. He was probably trying to chase down the Devil's Cut girls... :D

Wade's got the flyer with the pertinent info. When he gets out of the "fog" this morning, he or I will summarize it for everyone.

We're meeting at 9:15 for Bloody Mary's followed by an Irish Whiskey Seminar from 10 to 11:30am moderated by Paul Pacult.

Randy

I have tried a few Scotch's with Port, Wine etc. finishes and did not like them. A Stranahans "snowflake" finished in local wine barrels I thought was horrendous and tasted of "old library book".

I'd be happy to buy a shot of this at the bar to try for educations sake but I know I'm not buying a bottle.

Randy: Hope you get to try some of those new Pot still releases at the seminar.

Ten year old,unchillfiltered, aged for 6 months in 2 to 3 ye old Cognac barrels. 100 proof.

Interesting. I can see it might give it a further "polishing", i.e., even if the Cognac taste is not really noticeable.

Gary

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.