Parker's Heritage Collection 2011

BradleyC
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Gary, I think you've used the proper description of what the cognac barrels do to the whiskey. It's more of a light polish vs a detectible finish that a port barrel might give it. Chuck, there was no mention of whether the whiskey was rye or wheat but I suspect you are right. The published material we got was actually designed for the retail trade, not us.

Randy

• 2 weeks later...

A post on the Heaven Hill Facebook page inquiring about the status of PHC 5th Edition resulted in this reply from HH:

"We just received our federal label approval for this amazing Bourbon, so you shouldn't have long to wait. I think I will have it in the store here by September." Lynne

Looks like we're getting close.

Amusingly, the back label states that the whiskey was bottled at "cask strength"; I imagine it's pretty rare for cask strength to exactly equal 100 proof—without a bit of effort, that is. ;)

Labels are attached for those keen to see 'em.

post-6507-14489817468693_thumb.jpeg

post-6507-14489817469008_thumb.jpeg

post-6507-14489817469215_thumb.jpg

Amusingly, the back label states that the whiskey was bottled at "cask strength"; I imagine it's pretty rare for cask strength to exactly equal 100 proof—without a bit of effort, that is. ;)

Labels are attached for those keen to see 'em.

[ATTACH]12585[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]12586[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]12587[/ATTACH]

I'm guessing that they put it into the cognac barrels at 100 proof.

The labels also seem to indicate that the barrels were shipped to the USA for filling. Some earlier reports had suggested that the bourbon was going to be shipped to France for finishing.

Now that we have a general release date, the flavor profile, a picture of the labeling, I am now officially excited about PHC5 and can't wait to get a bottle(s).

Unlike PHC1 and PHC4, it looks like there will be only one release/expression at 100 prf and we won't have to "work" to obtain more than the one release.

Collecting each of the PHC1 and 4 expressions still have me winded as I look for more, particularly PHC1/batches #1 & #2.

I'm guessing that they put it into the cognac barrels at 100 proof.

[QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Ah ha, I think you nailed it.

Six months is a long time for a finish. Six weeks is a bit more typical. I'm looking forward to this too.

Here are some additional specifics about PHC 5th as reported on:

http://www.drinkspirits.com/best/spirits-introduced-tales-cocktail/

Parker’s Heritage Collection Cognac Finish Bourbon (100 proof ~$90) – The Parker Heritage Collection has always been a place for legendary distiller Parker Beam to experiment and hypothesize with bourbon. Sometimes the result is something legendary, like the Parker’s Heritage Golden Anniversary Bourbon, and sometimes it’s just plain fascinating, like the Wheated Mash Bill Release. The Parker’s Heritage Collection Cognac Finish falls more into the later category than the former as it asks the question ‘what if bourbon and cognac came together’. Parker took what is effectively 10 year old Evan Williams Single Barrel and added it to cognac barrels for 5 months. These barrels were aged in the Heaven Hill warehouse on the floor as they didn’t fit the standard Heaven Hill racks. The result is intriguing. This bourbon has a sweet and slightly floral nose, with hints of vanilla. There’s a slight pasty note there as well. The entry is fairly soft and builds to a more complex mid palate with sweet and spice. The finish is long and sweet. Whiskey and cognac have come together in cocktails like the Vieux Carre well, and Parker’s Heritage Collection Cognac furthers the argument that these two flavor profiles can exist together well.

Parker’s Heritage Collection Cognac Finish Bourbon will be available at the end of August 2011/ beginning of September. As with all the Parker’s Heritage releases, quantities will be very limited.

- Geoffrey Kleinman

You couldn't help but trip over Tom Fischer and his cameraman at Tales of the Cocktail. Tom might have been one of the first to taste it, but he was behind Wade and myself.:grin:

The "official" release to the retail industry clearly states the following:

"A limited number of barrels of Heaven Hill's 10-year-old Bourbon have been selected to age for six months in two to three year old Limousin oak casks from France, in which Grande Champagne Cognac had been aged."

Randy

You couldn't help but trip over Tom Fischer and his cameraman at Tales of the Cocktail. Tom might have been one of the first to taste it, but he was behind Wade and myself.:grin:

The "official" release to the retail industry clearly states the following:

"A limited number of barrels of Heaven Hill's 10-year-old Bourbon have been selected to age for six months in two to three year old Limousin oak casks from France, in which Grande Champagne Cognac had been aged."

Randy

There is obviously a difference between what the "official" release notes says (6 mos), what the back label states (6 mos), and what is mentioned and acknowledged in the video by Fischer and Parker Beam (4 mos).

Maybe by the time the retail bottles hit the market, PHC 5th will indeed have been finished in the cognac barrels for 6 mos?

Once in the glass, who cares how long it was finished in the cognac barrels, as long as it's another tasty expression from the PHC...which by all preliminary indications it will be. Bring it on.

Six months is a long time for a finish. Six weeks is a bit more typical. I'm looking forward to this too.

I don't know if it's the case in this case, but there have been instances where the label was produced before the final specifications were known. If it's something that isn't really a regulatory matter, it's not a problem. They may have planned to finish for 6 months but decided it was ready after four, for example.

• 1 month later...

I brought a bottle of this to the Gazebo table Saturday night. As previously mentioned, it has a slight winey note on the nose and, to me, a short (shorter than I recall), drying finish. When tasted again last night, a light chocolate taste showed up mid palate which I enjoyed. A nice whiskey, but won't be a repeat purchase.

Randy

I concur... I think.

Just had a quick taste. This one is definitely different. Not sure whether this is good different, bad different, or just plain different. I suspect there will be a wide range of reaction to this one.

I enjoyed Randy's bottle at the Gazebo but more as a much needed change of pace into the third day of whiskey gluttony. I only really need that kind of break during the two gazebo weeks of the year so I'd rather find me another PHC wheater.

I have tried it twice. Once at the Gala and again at the BHC. The first time I was not really impressed. Different, but not outstanding in my opinion, with some sweetness, fruity tones, toffee, and a nice smoothness as I recall.

The second time I liked it more. Not sure how much I like it (I did get a bottle) why I liked it more the second go, or if I will buy more than one bottle. Probably will as I like all the other PHC's a lot.

My .02

Jim

Anxious to try this. Curious how the cognac finish adds to the flavor profile. Should be interesting!

Josh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...
Somebody should set up a tasting of a few parkers including the new one;)

I agree.

Great idea Reid. Glad you are a welcome member here on SB.com.

• 3 weeks later...

Any consensus on this bottle?

Left it on the shelf today. $75.00.

Having second thoughts based on 2010 wheater, but very interested on opinions of SB'ers who've lived with this bottle for a while.

Thanks, Bill.

I lived through an entire bottle and am left feeling I can't live without it. The finish casts a pretty wonderful spell on the rough-edged, herbal, slightly minty bourbon. It's $80 around here. It's a lot to ask for a 10-year old bourbon, but this one is totally unique and a really gorgeous sipper.

Any consensus on this bottle?

Left it on the shelf today. $75.00.

Having second thoughts based on 2010 wheater, but very interested on opinions of SB'ers who've lived with this bottle for a while.

Thanks, Bill.

I lived through an entire bottle and am left feeling I can't live without it. The finish casts a pretty wonderful spell on the rough-edged, herbal, slightly minty bourbon. It's $80 around here. It's a lot to ask for a 10-year old bourbon, but this one is totally unique and a really gorgeous sipper.

Any bottle in the PHC collection is worthy of the price and room in one's cabinet...IMHO. Each is special, unique and delicious!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.