For the oak fans, Elijah Craig 20

callmeox
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I just received my Heaven Hill club flyer and there's a snippet in there about a new bottling to celebrate 20 years of the Kentucky Bourbon Festival.

The 20 year old expression will be a limited edition and only available at the Bourbon Heritage Center.

Have any of our insiders gotten advance samples or any other information on this?

In celebration of 20 years of “spirited†fun at The Kentucky Bourbon Festival in September, visit Heaven Hill Distilleries’ Bourbon Heritage Center for a special tour and your opportunity to add an exclusive bourbon to your collection. Bourbon connoisseurs – enjoy the sights, sounds and aromas of our Behind the Scenes tour, enjoy a tutored tasting experience in a working Bourbon Rickhouse and make all of your friends green with envy by picking up your very own personalized bottle of Elijah Craig 20-year-old Single Barrel Bourbon, a limited edition available only at the Bourbon Heritage Center! We’ll see you there!

I just received my Heaven Hill club flyer

That was a newsletter? I thought I got a personal email from Craig Beam. Darn.

• 4 weeks later...

I talked to the HH gift shop today to inquire about this bottle and was told it comes with some sort of tour and the price is 225.00. My bottle of EC18, while not my favorite, is gaining more favor already!

Thomas

Well, a good amount of EC 18 is 20+ years old. Current Binny's is 21 years. So hopefully these are some SUPER honeyed barrels. It can't be the age alone commanding the crayzee price.

I talked to the HH gift shop today to inquire about this bottle and was told it comes with some sort of tour and the price is 225.00. My bottle of EC18, while not my favorite, is gaining more favor already!

Thomas

I called HH back and they said you can only get the bottle by going on the special "Elijah Craig" tour which includes a tasting and the price is now 275.00. Either I got the wrong infoo the first time or Bardstown is suffering some very serious price inflation. Also, for everyone planning to spring for a bottle, it is a 90 proofer!

Thomas

I got the following information in a newsletter from The Bardstown Whiskey Society. The $275 includes tours, tasting, a meal, and the 20 yr Elijah Craig.

Doug

"Celebrate 20 years of The Kentucky Bourbon Festival with Heaven Hill Distilleries

New for the 2011 Heaven Hill Distilleries are offering an exciting tour package featuring an exclusive 20 year old single barrel Elijah Craig with a personalized label. Come and spend some of the morning tasting two of our newly launched Bourbons in warehouse WW with our Bourbon Brand Ambassador Rob Hutchins, take a Spirit of Bourbon Tour of downtown Bardstown, visit distillers row and hear the tales of Bardstown during prohibition and beyond.

Enjoy a lovely lunch of Elijah Craig marinated beef tenderloin followed by a flight of Heaven Hill’s finest Bourbons: Evan William’s 23 year old, Parkers Heritage Collection Wheated Bourbon, Very Special Old Fitzgerald 12year old Single Barrel, William Heaven Hill limited edition barrel strength 225 month old.

Return to Heaven Hill to collect your Bourbon Bounty Bag ($50.00 value) and your limited edition collector’s bottle of Elijah Craig 20 year old Single Barrel Straight Kentucky Bourbon.

Enjoy this Unique Bourbon flavored day for only $275.00."

That's always the variable.

Yeah, that gift bag had me reaching for my wallet. I was kind of on the fence then I read "gift bag".

I have been thinking about "gift bag" all day. It's like an ear-worm but with daydreams, whatever you would call one of those.

For comparison's sake:

Gas for trip to South Loop Binny's plus tolls= let's say $40

A biggish lunch at Manny's including pastrami sandwich, drink, dessert, 1 potato pancake, tax= $20

Binny's Select EC 18 +tax= $60

That's a total of $120, not including Joe's dry wit, samples and access to the Whiskey Buggy of Bliss all of which is worth at least as much as a gift bag. I think I'll pass.

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up a bottle of this Friday afternoon for $129. Opened it last night with a couple friends. It definitely is a smooth drinking bourbon with increased flavors of caramel, cream and honey. A little pecan flavor at the finish.

Somene may have different, or more accurate, information but we were told by HH Staff that there was only ONE barrel of this done. It was done to coincide with the 20th anniversary of the KBF.

They had it priced at $149 at the gift shop at the BHC. I thought I would remember this but the barrel date was sometime in 1990 though no bottling date was show.

The guide said it came out of the barrel at 152 Proof and was cut to 90.

Thats all I remember.

• 7 months later...

Elijah Craig 20 will be released nationally to replace Elijah Craig 18 (for now) in late May / early June 2012. It will sell for $130 in limited quantities.

Heaven Hill says they are doing this partly to manage stock levels in the warehouses, temporarily suspending the bottling of the Elijah Craig 18.

If you are a fan of Elijah 18, get one now because there hasn't been a future date confirmed when this will be re-released.

There may also be future extra-aged single barrel limited editions of Elijah Craig - including a potential 21-year-old (or even older expressions)

If you're interested, here are more details and photos - Elijah Craig 20

Cheers, I'm looking forward to this release, how about you all?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.