For the oak fans, Elijah Craig 20

callmeox
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I would advise anyone new to bourbon to steer clear of anything older than 12-years-old. Whiskey older than that is expensive because it's scarce and because it's very expensive to make, not because it's necessarily super good. Bourbon only gets reliably better up to about 12 years. After that it's hit or miss. Only one thing is certain. You'll taste a lot of wood. That's a good price, but you can get two bottles of Evan Williams Single Barrel for your $50 and you'll probably enjoy them more.

I would advise anyone new to bourbon to steer clear of anything older than 12-years-old. Whiskey older than that is expensive because it's scarce and because it's very expensive to make, not because it's necessarily super good. Bourbon only gets reliably better up to about 12 years. After that it's hit or miss. Only one thing is certain. You'll taste a lot of wood. That's a good price, but you can get two bottles of Evan Williams Single Barrel for your $50 and you'll probably enjoy them more.

I would definitely second that. Great advice. I like to have an older bourbon on hand just because it's different and I like variety (and don't mind wood). But I don't find myself reaching for them before standard BT, WT101, EWSB . . . the list goes on and on. Sometimes its hard to keep an older bourbon on hand because its hard to justify spending so much just for variety. The EC18 I can justify though, and it definitely fits the not necessarily better, but definitely oak-ier bill. It doesn't sound like I'll be able to justify the EC20.

I completely agree with Chuck and IowaJeff, but only in regards to Rye-recipe Bourbon.

I completely agree with Chuck and IowaJeff, but only in regards to Rye-recipe Bourbon.

I think the only wheaters older than 12 I've had are the PVW 15 and 20, and I definitely don't like the 20 any better. Maybe wheaters get an extra 3 years, but I'd have to try some other wheaters older than 12 to make that conclusion. Now if only I could find some . . .

All, or most, of the recently released EC 18s actually are 21 to 22 years old. Some people like them, but they're not "cherry" barrels like the EC20s are supposed to be. FWIW, I haven't enjoyed either of the ones I've had from '90.

Thanks for the info and advice.

• 1 month later...

I saw an Elijah Craig 20yo today, priced at $199.99 so I passed.

Later I looked up the st min and it's at $129.97.

I'm thinking about going back to see if I can get it at st min.

I find it amazing how quickly these sold out in Chicago. Thought the price hike would have them sittin for awhile.

Has anyone actually tried it yet? At that price, it'll be a long time before one will make it onto my shelf.

For a Jackson under that price I recently bought a VB17, VR21 and a VR23 (or alternately, 3 EC18s [2 were from 90 tho] and any one of the former). You choose.

Yeah, a slew of closeout prices and I went a bit wild! Sure don't enjoy seeing top-dollar marketing from HH - EWB and EC12 are favorite pours to my novice palate.

Edited by MauiSon

• 4 weeks later...

Holy crap! I was expecting maybe 80 bux for the extra 2 years...but GEEZ!!!! Don't think the 20 year old is going to make it to my collection at that price. i can get a whole mess of better stuff for that cost.

I find it amazing how quickly these sold out in Chicago. Thought the price hike would have them sittin for awhile.

Not going to be finding their way into my liquor cabinet either. Some of the old 18s were too woody for me, can't imagine the 20.

I dunno tho. The Detroit Zoo is getting new beavers in the fall. If they invite me over, EC 20 might make a good housewarming gift. They would probably enjoy it.

Yeah, but, those old EC18's (June 1981's weren't they?) that were woody were actually 23 years old, sometimes they were good and sometimes they were like drinking ash.

I would however like to hear what people that have tried this EC 20 have to say about it.

I would however like to hear what people that have tried this EC 20 have to say about it.

You actually want informed opinions? Picky picky picky!

Does this EC 20 have a barreled on date like the EC 18's?

If was barreled in 1992 I'd roll the dice on it.

Does this EC 20 have a barreled on date like the EC 18's?

If was barreled in 1992 I'd roll the dice on it.

I've got an EC18, barreled 3/28/91, that I would not hesitate to pick up again if I found. Great balance between EC12 and wood. Possibly more wood from the extra two years, but probably not ashy. JMHO though.

• 3 weeks later...

Just picked up an EC20 with a barrel date of 3/15/91 from barrel #8. I am comfortable with a bit of wood so I hope this one proves to be of decent quality. Got mine for a bit less than I have seen here at $119.99. Still, it is a pretty expensive gamble if it proves to be less than stellar which it sounds like is a possibility.

Anybody happen to try this particular barrel yet? I plan to save mine until a few bourbon drinking friends can gather for a little tasting.

I have not tried that barrel, but I do have a bunch of EC18's, barreled 3/28/91, that are phenomenal. I hold hope that yours is just as good.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.