For the oak fans, Elijah Craig 20

callmeox
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Elijah Craig 20 will be released nationally to replace Elijah Craig 18 (for now) in late May / early June 2012. It will sell for $130 in limited quantities.

There may also be future extra-aged single barrel limited editions of Elijah Craig - including a potential 21-year-old (or even older expressions)

$130?! Binny's EC18s from last year were 21-years old. I didn't buy one, but I did not hear great things about them. I picked up a Liquor Barn bottling a few weeks ago that is 22-years old. My first pour was alright, I'm sure it will open up a bit, but age is not necessarily the friend of these highly variable barrels.

In fact, the 22-year old EC18 I just popped reminds me very much of the Vintage 21yo bourbon I have open. That's a bit of a tangent, but if you've had the V21 bourbon, I would bet that's the kind of profile you can expect from the forth-coming older ECs.

Or maybe HH will put their better barrels into their $130 EC bottles and we'll see new Vintage bottlings later this year and next?

$130? Why? I just bought a bottle of EC18 and it was $37 plus tax. For two more years in the barrel they want $90+? And, as many have noted over the years, EC18 has often been 20+ years old anyway. What am I missing here?

Since I'm not a fan EC 12 or 18, passing on the 20 at $130 will be easy. I have to believe that at price point, they won't be gobbled up by us enthusiasts, limited or not.

Since I'm not a fan EC 12 or 18, passing on the 20 at $130 will be easy. I have to believe that at price point, they won't be gobbled up by us enthusiasts, limited or not.

I agree. If it were 20 years old, barrel proof, and un-chill filtered then I'd consider picking up a bottle to try, but at 90 proof this is going to be an easy pass. I wonder if this would have been released at this price (or at all) if the first gift shop barrel didn't win Whisky Advocate's "American Whiskey of the Year" award which is prominently displayed on the bottle label.

I got the 2nd bottling of EC20 after it won American Whiskey of the Year and didn't care for it much. Definitely not $150 worth. It will be easy to pass on this. Surprisingly, I like the EC12 more than the 18 and probably even the 20.

I got the 2nd bottling of EC20 after it won American Whiskey of the Year and didn't care for it much. Definitely not $150 worth. It will be easy to pass on this. Surprisingly, I like the EC12 more than the 18 and probably even the 20.

I can agree that the 2nd bottle was not nearly as good as the 1st barrel. However, the 1st barrel was amazing. I still recall the 27 as being one of my favorites. Hopefully, we'll get a bourbon that is quite solid.

The ~$90 extra over EC18 (which I bought one bottle of, on sale, for $33) will definitely keep me away. I wonder how popular it will be at such a price.

I figured they would change the pricing or discontinue the EC 18 eventually. I just bought 3 bottles of the 18 for $35. They were all barrelled in April of 1990 and just hit the shelves, so unless they were tanked or something it is probably what will soon by EC20 for $130 for $35.

I'm not sure what they were selling at the BHC gift shop, but the label attached is for the new limited edition 20-year-old that's supposed to be the same as the "American Whiskey of the Year" winner and, though there are only 1,300 bottles, available in about 36 states. It's shipping now.

More here.

post-5-14489817910958_thumb.jpg

I'm not sure what they were selling at the BHC gift shop, but the label attached is for the new limited edition 20-year-old that's supposed to be the same as the "American Whiskey of the Year" winner and, though there are only 1,300 bottles, available in about 36 states. It's shipping now.

More here.

That's a huuuuuuge barrel :)

Ha Ha. This release is from 80 barrels, but the same batch as last year's award winner, which was drawn from a single barrel.

I can agree that the 2nd bottle was not nearly as good as the 1st barrel. However, the 1st barrel was amazing. I still recall the 27 as being one of my favorites. Hopefully, we'll get a bourbon that is quite solid.

Yeah, the send barrel was a bit of a letdown after the first one which, as you all know, I loved.

This could be the future guys

Havent you noticed how scottish single malts (and also japanese) has raised in "profile" the last 5 years with silly bottlings at silly prices ? (just google Dalmore Constallation for a little peek of the bourbon future)

The general price level, bar the bottom shelf standard single malts has raised considerable the last 5 years, and special bottlings are very often hyped "limited" editions. Most here would know the prices of current Springbank 21yo relative to the prior release and also the prices of Ardbegs.

Whisky is getting popular worldwide and the supply can't follow the demand at the moment. With expanding markets in China, India etc. the're is no problem selling quality malt whisky these days

And I predict the focus will soon turn to bourbons which at the moment has a huge advantage in the quality for money ratio. The world will discover this for sure

And the big companies wants their share of the pie for sure. I don't think they care a bit about the oldtimers buying this and that bottle for 30$ when they can sell everything they produce at 60$

I am probably just accellerating this by telling everybody to stock up now while everything is (more) affordable :-)

Steffen

This could be the future guys

Havent you noticed how scottish single malts (and also japanese) has raised in "profile" the last 5 years with silly bottlings at silly prices ? (just google Dalmore Constallation for a little peek of the bourbon future)

The general price level, bar the bottom shelf standard single malts has raised considerable the last 5 years, and special bottlings are very often hyped "limited" editions. Most here would know the prices of current Springbank 21yo relative to the prior release and also the prices of Ardbegs.

Whisky is getting popular worldwide and the supply can't follow the demand at the moment. With expanding markets in China, India etc. the're is no problem selling quality malt whisky these days

And I predict the focus will soon turn to bourbons which at the moment has a huge advantage in the quality for money ratio. The world will discover this for sure

And the big companies wants their share of the pie for sure. I don't think they care a bit about the oldtimers buying this and that bottle for 30$ when they can sell everything they produce at 60$

I am probably just accellerating this by telling everybody to stock up now while everything is (more) affordable :-)

Steffen

We've been living in the nightmare for about 4 years now. I remember getting BTAC's for as little as $33/btl if you bought a "case" (3 bottles) around 2006.

We've been living in the nightmare for about 4 years now. I remember getting BTAC's for as little as $33/btl if you bought a "case" (3 bottles) around 2006.

Nightmare? No, Randy, current prices (EC20 excluded) are just the naked in public dream.

Let's look at some SMS prices (from K & L, rounded up to nearest dollar)

Highland Park 50 year old $16,000

1964 Bowmore White, 43 year old $6,000

1981 Glenmorangie Pride 28 Year Old $$3,500

Laphroaig 40 year old $3,000

Okay, those probably aren't a fair comparison; after all nobody in their right mind would age bourbon that long.

Let's look at some SMS in the 18-21yo range (again, K&L)

Macallan "Fine Oak" 21 Year $250

Rosebank 21 Year Old $250

Longrow 18 year old $200

Balvenie 21 year $190

Macallan 18 year old $150

Springbank 18 year $130

Now, some high end bourbon.

Four Roses 2012 Limited Edition Small Batch $87 (K&L)

Colonel E.H. Taylor, Jr. Tornado $75 (K&L)

Vintage 17 year Bourbon $68 (K&L, OLCC)

PVW 20yo $102 (OLCC)

BTAC (any of them) $82 (OLCC)

But with the EC20 we're heading into the low end of those comparably aged Scotch malts.

(BTW, it's on the June OLCC list, $134).

I'm afraid it's a harbinger. I expect prices in the $150-250 range before long.

And that, my friend, is the naked in public being chased by a pack of howling velociraptors dream.

One unhappy fact that the distillers will have to face - although there are probably a few morons willing to pay those prices for NAS bottlings, I doubt there are enough to achieve the sales volume the distillers want. Most people willing to spend $250 on a bourbon are going to insist on an age statement.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone had a chance to try this? My local store got it in stock, I'm eager to try but 2 years for an extra $90 is quite a bit. $130 will buy me a LOT of bourbon. My local bar should be getting a bottle soon so maybe I'll have to buy a pour first.

A friend sent me a couple samples of the original barrel and it was fantastic. By the way thanks friend. He also sent a sample of later barrel which I haven't tried yet.

Quick question...I bought my very first bottle of EC18 earlier this year and I haven't opened it yet. The label says it was barrelled in 1990. I have seen several posters that have claimed that some of these EC18s are older than 18 years, and assuming mine was bottled after 2008, that is certainly true with mine. How can I find out when it was bottled?

A friend sent me a couple samples of the original barrel and it was fantastic. By the way thanks friend. He also sent a sample of later barrel which I haven't tried yet.

How do I get such wonderful friends? Most of mine can't even show up to 'date' within a 30 minute window... let alone be bothered to go a post office and send something. :lol:

Hello all,

I am relatively new to the site and bourbon and have not yet tasted any EC of any age, however there is a place in my area that says they have a single barrel 21 year EC for $49.99. I think at that price I may have to pick up a bottle and give it a try.

Paul

Hello all,

I am relatively new to the site and bourbon and have not yet tasted any EC of any age, however there is a place in my area that says they have a single barrel 21 year EC for $49.99. I think at that price I may have to pick up a bottle and give it a try.

Paul

All, or most, of the recently released EC 18s actually are 21 to 22 years old. Some people like them, but they're not "cherry" barrels like the EC20s are supposed to be. FWIW, I haven't enjoyed either of the ones I've had from '90.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.