What Beer Are You Drinking? - Fall 2011

jcg9779
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Never heard of that, quite interesting. It's hard to get mexican beer here in Germany, despite Sol or Corona. A friend of mine lives now in Mexico City, when I visit him, I will have some beer for sure, haha!

Intrigued by the ads I've seen for it lately, I picked up a six-pack of Guinness Black Lager. I had one over the weekend, and going with another one now. Strange metallic taste underneath. Generally, boring otherwise. I won't be rushing to pick this up again.

Intrigued by the ads I've seen for it lately, I picked up a six-pack of Guinness Black Lager. I had one over the weekend, and going with another one now. Strange metallic taste underneath. Generally, boring otherwise. I won't be rushing to pick this up again.

Same for me, Joe. The Guinness Black Lager is boring and weak compared to so many superior German black lagers. Try Kostritzer Schwarzbier next time around for a real treat!

Even the irish complain about that Guinness is not what it used to be, haha! I still like it, straight from the tap it's a treat!

Fixin' to head over to the neighbors house for a catfish fry, and warmin' up with a Bell's "Hell Hath No Fury" Ale. Really good.

Not a trendy micro-brew but along with turkey enchiladas that I made I had a few bottles of cold Grolsch.

But after dinner I did pour a Bell's Cherry Stout, very nice.

I have been enjoying KY bourbon barrel ale after a recent trip to Ky. Love this stuff!! It should be available in my local market within a month. The stout is already on the shelf. Tim

Today I scored a bottle of 2011 Sam Adams Utopias. I will try to hold off tasting it until my daughter and son-in-law come down next week.

When I asked the clerk to sell me one, he was incredulous that anyone would pay that much for a beer :cool:. This shit had BETTER be good. :rolleyes:

We have a new burger joint with attached bar, called Grease Monkey that has good food and decent ales.

Today, I tried a bottle of Hop Stoopid, which was good, and a bottle of Rahrs Ugly Pug which was very good.

Today I scored a bottle of 2011 Sam Adams Utopias. I will try to hold off tasting it until my daughter and son-in-law come down next week.

When I asked the clerk to sell me one, he was incredulous that anyone would pay that much for a beer :cool:. This shit had BETTER be good. :rolleyes:

You can rest sure it is Mark!

Leif

Today I scored a bottle of 2011 Sam Adams Utopias. ... This shit had BETTER be good. :rolleyes:

I'm pretty much counting on it, but it's good to have verification.

I'm also confident that my daughter and her husband will like it, as they don't appear to be big fans of mass-marketed yellow water. At any rate, it will be nice to see what their opinions are as well.

A Sam Adams "Old Fezziwig Ale" as Mrssmokinjoe and I put up the outdoor Christmas decorations. This is from the Holiday Sampler pack that they put out every year. For years the weak one (IMO, anyway) in the box was the Cranberry Lambic. I just hated it. Last year, I think they went with the Black Lager to replace that? It was much better. This year, it's a coffee flavored beer. I believe they call it "Black and Brew"? It's OK, but I really love this Fezziwig Ale.

Cheers!

Leif

I'll second this. I think it's quite delicious with tons of complexity. My only qualm is that it's overpriced; I could have phenomenal bourbon + phenomenal brandy + phenomenal barrel aged beer all for the price of a bottle of Utopias. That said, everyone should try it at least once. (Admittedly when I finish off my bottle, I may purchase another. So loose are my convictions in terms of money spent for good beverages.)

I have recently become enamored of Liefmans Goudenband. I have been conditioned to respond negatively to the term Saison, as the Saisons I have tried have been way too tart and/or sweet for my taste in beer. The Goudenband is not a saison, but it has a corner of the tartness I've associated with saison. It's a brown ale that achieves an amazing balance of malt/tart/bitter/sweet.

I explained to my wife that it was kind of in between a beer and a wine, even though that describes a beer I would normally have no interest in. This stuff just hits the spot for me. At 8%, polishing off two bombers on a Sunday afternoon make me feel good, real good. I think it would also go well with rich or strongly flavored foods, as the mellow tartness can deftly cut through big flavors.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.