BTAC and Van Winkle nonsense

fitzharry
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

It wasn't a ton of work for me. Yeah, I had to drive out of town, but I went with a friend and we had a pretty good time. Two Staggs, three Saz18's and one each of everything else. I'm happy.... wifey isn't. I'm gettin' nuttin' for Christmas.

Two Staggs, three Saz18's and one each of everything else. I'm happy.... wifey isn't. I'm gettin' nuttin' for Christmas.

No - Christmas came early!

I frankly stopped giving a shit about the BTAC back in...oh wait, I never really cared. Stagg is always good, WLW is good some years and mediocre some others, Saz 18 is boring and Handy is mad overpriced. Of the Van Winkles, I like Pappy 15 but not enough to make myself crazy looking for it. I always try to have some Old Rip 107 on hand tho'. And the VWFRR is also a favorite.

I'm not really a collector either (I don't have the room even if I wanted to be) so I don't feel compelled have a complete set of something. Not to say that I won't stock up on stuff I love, but I do intend to drink (or trade for something I'll drink) every bottle I have in the bunker.

No hateration of collectors or BTAC/Van Winkle fanatics intended, just ain't my bag.

...Saz 18 is boring ...
There is a marked difference in older Saz18 vs latest releases. I was fortunate to score two older bottles and it was truely amazing, like wow, like unbelievable. I sold one to a friend and now try to get her last half bottle back.

There is a marked difference in older Saz18 vs latest releases. I was fortunate to score two older bottles and it was truely amazing, like wow, like unbelievable. I sold one to a friend and now try to get her last half bottle back.

Interesting! I'll keep that in mind next time I see one on the shelf!

Which year did you have?

Probably the 2008 that Jim Murray fell out of his chair over?

Josh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting! I'll keep that in mind next time I see one on the shelf!

People blame the time in tank. Since it went to stainless, some feel that it's losing it's edge, although Hansell seems to feel that it's getting better, based on his reviews.

Tell ya what, while I don't think Saz18 is the best stuff out there, I would say that "boring" may be a bit much, but what can I say to someone who doesn't understand the joy of WT101Rye?:rolleyes: :rolleyes::lol: :lol:

OK, I'll come clean, the only one I've had was one at ACDetroit's house and that was 2-3 years ago. Knowing Tony, it was probably a fairly early release. It did not fare well next to the other stuff I tried that night, including a black Label Old Rip of some sort and an ETL BUB.

As for the WT rye, I'd rather watch another LSU/Bama game than drink that again...

Which year did you have?

Bottled 2001. Distilled 1983. This Saz18 is one of the best whiskeys/whiskys I've ever had.

Bottled 2001. Distilled 1983. This Saz18 is one of the best whiskeys/whiskys I've ever had.

I would like to try that one. Do you have any of the newer releases to compare it to? I would be very interested to hear your thoughts on the differences.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm on board with FitzHarry. My journey has taken me right back to where I started: mid shelfers. For a while it was fun chasing hard-to-find bottles but eventually I realized that I rarely drink the "good stuff" and I no longer care about having them in the cabinet.

Hopefully several of them will find new homes soon.

last week I found the entire BTAC collection in a local store for $75.99 per and left them all where they lay. The 2011 this-or-that may be the best bourbon that ever hit the shelves, but I'll be just fine without it.

I agree that the whole thing has become rather silly. I hear horror stories from retailers about how tough it is for them, which prompted me to come up with this plan for my imaginary liquor store:

Unfortunately, it is simply not always possible to please the neurotic, OCD, border line paranoid-schitzophrenics who make up our dedicated customer base. We already have 10.5 million people on our standby list for the Buffalo Trace Antique Collection and the fall releases of Pappy Van Winkle. We have just been notified by Buffalo Trace that we will only be getting one bottle of each of these, so there will, unfortunately, not be enough for everyone. Therefore, we have come up with what we think is a fair way to distribute these very coveted bottles.

Step 1: Lottery. We will pick 150,000 names out of a hat. This will involve the procurement of a very large hat.

Step 2: Quiz. Each of the people who are picked out of a hat will be sent a detailed quiz about these bourbons. Please be familiar with the mashbills, provenance, romantic histories of the various brand ambassadors and other characteristics of these whiskeys.

Step 3: Triatholon. The 10,258 best scorers on the quiz will compete in a triatholon.

Step 4: Cage Match. The top two competitors in the triatholon will engage in a cage match. The winner of the cage match will get the bottle. If it is a tie, the tie will be broken by a game of backgammon.

Remember, you can sign up for more than one bottle, but you will have to participate in each step for every bottle you sign up for, even Eagle Rare 17.

The good news is that everyone who participates gets a free bottle of Rain Vodka!

http://recenteats.blogspot.com/2011/10/important-customer-notice-buffalo-trace.html

That Rain vodka is very popular with a certain board member. You might start a new craze!

I have not bought any of the BTAC in the last 2 years. Lots in the bunker. I stocked up when it was 42 to 50 $ per. I passed up both ryes at the NH state store at $ 55, too much for me. So much good stuff out there at 15 to 30 $, can't justify the price. I thought the new 10 yr jefferson rye at $30 was good stuff.

I agree, the prices and allocations are getting out of hand. Just saw the Van Winkle 10/90 and 10/107 both priced at 70 bucks...? 15 year was $120 and 20 was about $160. Count me out. Picked up some Lagavulin 12 cask strength for $50 instead. I wonder who is doing their pricing, ha!

Yep. Stopped at a store in Dallas I had never been to today. They received NINE bottles total, with a waiting list of 89 people. They used a lottery format - drawing names at random to see who got the bottles.

Looks like my regular sources in Fort Worth didn't get ANY. So I'll have to make do with what I have for another year. Oh well. :smiley_acbt:

At least there are plenty of other bourbons I like that are not ridiculously scarce.

I thought I was the only one that was getting discouraged with high prices and very limited opportunities to taste the highly sought after bottles. Recently I read where a woman sprayed her fellow Wal-Mart shoppers with pepper spray to get that prized last Xbox. I bought a can of the bear spray stuff. You know, the big fire extinguisher size bottle. Now I go into the stores ready to discourage others that would snatch the last bottle before I can wrestle them out of the way.

In all my cyclic years of hope and disappointment, I have only scored one bottle of PVW20 and GTS. They taste great and I sip slowly. I probably won't last long enough for the laws of probability to fall in my favor again.

I joined SB so I could at least read about those fabled bourbons. What I've learned here and in practice is the best bourbon in the world is the one in your glass. The rarest bourbon in the world is that last nanoliter in the bottom of your last bottle.

Here's to the best!

What I've learned here and in practice is the best bourbon in the world is the one in your glass. The rarest bourbon in the world is that last nanoliter in the bottom of your last bottle.

That's what I did Friday (12/9)..New Jersey got it's Pappy order..friend at worked took me on a state tour...20miles for 20Yr...then 10mile for 20yr, 15yr and 12yr.

Never had this Brand...Let's see over Christmas what I got into..:lol:

We perpetuate the truths and myths, and even the unknown about the Pappy bottlings, and the BTAC. We raise questions, and there is interest. We sing its praises and give it huzzahs, and that in turn raises interest. Seems to me we propagate everything ourselves. The end justifies the means I guess. :rolleyes: We give the lurkers and profiteers all the ammunition they need so as to profit from our mistakes. Sad but true.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.