Old Rip Van Winkle 23 Decanter - Pappy

Tony
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Howdy All:

I hope you are doing great.

I have a line on the Old Rip Van Winkle 23 Decanter set from last year.

Can anyone comment on how awesome it is? It seems like it is a different bourbon then the standard Pappy 23.

Also would I be crazy to buy this and drink it? If I get it should I just put it in the bunker until one of my kid's gets married or my first grandchild or something like that?

Appreciate any thoughts.

Best regards, tony

I have heard the juice is good. Supposedly they cherry picked a few Pappy 23 barrels to make the gift set. It's only worth buying if you can afford it.

And yes, by using the ORVW 23/114 avatar and never trying it, I am a poser. But in my defense, I own one. And at one point in time I owned three of them. Damn you Dave G :) . I hope I'm around when you open one of yours.

The ORVW is awesome, but of course, it's also very pricy. Still, if you have the money to spend, I would recommend it.

I did a side by side ORVW and Pappy 23 when it came out (see link below) and the ORVW blew Pappy away. Old Rip is about 10% higher abv, but it's just an overall better bourbon (than the C series Pappy 23 I compared it to).

http://recenteats.blogspot.com/2010/03/whiskey-wednesday-battle-of-really.html

Completely subjective. If dropping $3-400 is an afterthought for you, let 'r rip. I think I've only read two reviews of it and both were positive. This is different juice than the PVW 23 (which I like LESS than any of the other PVW products). I have two ORVW23s that I've set aside for a special occasion. Don't ask what will meet threshold for cracking one of them open, I don't know.:shocked:

I have two ORVW23s that I've set aside for a special occasion. Don't ask what will meet threshold for cracking one of them open, I don't know.:shocked:

That sound like a good thread topic, as I'm sure many of us have something similar.

B

The ORVW is awesome, but of course, it's also very pricy. Still, if you have the money to spend, I would recommend it.

I did a side by side ORVW and Pappy 23 when it came out (see link below) and the ORVW blew Pappy away. Old Rip is about 10% higher abv, but it's just an overall better bourbon (than the C series Pappy 23 I compared it to).

http://recenteats.blogspot.com/2010/03/whiskey-wednesday-battle-of-really.html

Thanks for that, great review and now I want it even more.

Best regards, tony

I would say that if you can afford the bottle, then it is definitely a great bottle to have in your collection. I opened mine a month or so ago and did a vertical with the entire Van Winkle line with some friends. The ORVW 23 was by far the favorite of the bunch, but given the cost, most of my friends decided that tasting it once was enough.

Thanks again everyone for the thoughts.

I was talking with my wife last night. She has recently started liking bourbon a bit, I think from all my talk and distillery tours I have dragged her on. She says to me "you know there is a special year coming up where we will both be celebrating our 50th birthdays and our 30th wedding anniversery. This would be a great thing for us to celebrate with".

Needless to say that just set the hook. I went and picked it up today. Now I just need to hide it in the back so I am not tempted to open it ahead of time.

Best regards, tony

I was talking with my wife last night. She has recently started liking bourbon a bit, I think from all my talk and distillery tours I have dragged her on. She says to me "you know there is a special year coming up where we will both be celebrating our 50th birthdays and our 30th wedding anniversery. This would be a great thing for us to celebrate with".

Needless to say that just set the hook. I went and picked it up today. Now I just need to hide it in the back so I am not tempted to open it ahead of time.

Best regards, tony

Congrats and enjoy! And if you figure out what to do with the box after you finish the whiskey, let me know.

Best regards, tony

Not the decanter, the big wooden cube. I guess I can sit on it while I drink my Pappy.

Footstool? :grin:

If anyone has an empty decanter or wooden box they don't want, please PM me.... I'd be happy to work something out :)

Best regards, tony

You are a lucky man. My wife can't even bare to smell it. Funny, the only one she said smell good/fine was actually the VVOF.

I am always in the mind of drinking instead of collecting as well. But then again, mine is sitting on the shelf waiting to be open once I go through some of my many open bottles. I've been using the glasses as I really like them personally. I actually broke one and Julian was nice enough to send me a replacement!

If anyone wants to sell me the glasses please PM me as well.

Cheers

--Hugh

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am also trying to acquire a (full) decanter. If anyone knows of one anywhere around Texas let me know.

Yes & No...I am somewhere in between personally - but, something everyone has to decide for themselves as to what "worth" means to them individually according to their own circumstances and personal factors.

Now, did I dodge that question pretty good and answer it like a politician?..lol

Near 7 Mile and Newburgh?

Will, I know the place that you are talking about. They did have one at one time.

The place that I am referencing with the current decanter is on the west side of the state.

I paid $349. I have yet to crack one open. Saving them for a REAL special occasion. I know where a couple are still sitting. At the prices they're asking... My guess is that they'll be collecting dust for a while. Maybe I'll go back and get them in the next decade.

The answer is yes, it's worth. These were released in late 2008, early 2009. Only 1,200 distributed nationally. Quite possibly the most delicious bourbon (I haven't opened mine and am assuming it's heavenly).

eBay prices range from $650 - $800 on a bad day. If you can find one for under $600 I would say get it, because you won't see another one and someone else most likely will snatch it up.

Even if you didn't want the decanted, glasses and box, you could probably flip those after you've consumed the juice to recoup a 1/5 of your money.

If you have the money to spare I would say buy it. If down the road you ran into a tight spot and needed the money, you could off load the thing for more than you paid for it without a doubt.

Just one man's thoughts, do as you will.

Ryan, they were actually released in late 2009 not 2008...no biggie but just to keep the facts straight. ;)

I never bought one of these and sometimes I regret it as it would have been nice to have for the collectable nature of it. I've talked to multiple people who have had the bourbon and all have said that it's not a $350 bourbon...granted some of the cost is in the presenation. At the time I made the decision to put that $350 that I would have spent on it into 6 bottles of Pappy 15 that are resting in my bunker for later consumption. I'd be willing to bet that I'll get more enjoyment out of those 6 Pappy 15's then I would have out of a single ORVW 23. :D

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.