Old Rip Van Winkle 23 Decanter - Pappy

Tony
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Sorry Rod...just posting what information I have been given regarding the ORVW 23 decanter. My logic most times is flawed, but this time I would have to say, I would make the same decision today that I made 2 years ago and that doesn't happen very often!:rolleyes:

Sorry Rod...just posting what information I have been given regarding the ORVW 23 decanter. My logic most times is flawed, but this time I would have to say, I would make the same decision today that I made 2 years ago and that doesn't happen very often!:rolleyes:

Bob... My guess is that when I eventually crack one open I will be like... "Hell yeah! This is the best bourbon I have ever had!" I suppose that would be the appropriate reaction given the price, packaging and aura surrounding this bottling. Sometimes our expectations and preconceived ideas influence our taste buds.

What I'd really like to do is taste it blind, and totally not expecting it. Then see if it stacks up to the price paid. So... Who has one open on their bar? Samples? Anyone...? Anyone...? :lol:

I have to say even though I'm not a big collector this presentation is a different deal than just a bottle of bourbon. I have a set and I'm very pleased I bought one. Even the price looks good now that some rip-off artists are selling the regular Pappy 23 for $400 a pop. Your current Van Winkle collection is not complete without this set and with only 1,500 produced not everyone will get one. My 2¢.

I have to say even though I'm not a big collector this presentation is a different deal than just a bottle of bourbon. I have a set and I'm very pleased I bought one. Even the price looks good now that some rip-off artists are selling the regular Pappy 23 for $400 a pop. Your current Van Winkle collection is not complete without this set and with only 1,500 produced not everyone will get one. My 2¢.

I bought one of these a couple of months back when I stood in line early one morning at The Party Source in N.KY for their fall 2011 Van Winkle release when they some how had 2 sets available at regular retail prices. At the time I was very naive as to what was a good deal verse a one time opportunity as I was just really trying to figure out this new bourbon habit I had developed!

Fortunately, I convinced myself to buy the decanter set and it has been the single most unregrettable bourbon purchase I have made to date. At the time I was under the impression that the decanters were an annual release, which I was informed they were not while standing in line (thanks to some new bourbon friends!).

I'm not sure what the special occasion will be when I finally crack it open, but I am anxiously awaiting that day! Whatever it is, it will definitely include my close bourbon friends because there is nothing better than sharing a magnificent bourbon with good friends who appreciate it!

there is nothing better than sharing a magnificent bourbon with good friends who appreciate it!

For me, finding someone to appreciate good bourbon is no easy task. It's always pearls before swine whenever I offer something top shelf. I have given up on bringing "good" bottles to my local friends' houses because I just can't watch it go down in a shot glass followed by a beer...

I'm glad that I've found a few guys that I CAN enjoy good whiskey with, even if I have to travel a ways to do so.

• 2 weeks later...

This is probably in vain, but does anyone else have a retail lead on one of these? I figure because of their price they might not be all evaporated like the Pappy Van Winkle's, but I thought I'd check.

I passed up a bottle a while ago for $400 and I've regretted it since.

I stated this here before, but since people are chiming in, I'd also like to find one of these.

A guy can dream, can't he - would love to procure a bottle. I had the chance to pick one up a little over a year ago. I cannot count the times I have kicked myself for not grabbing one.

I think any of us who passed on these back in the day would love to get there hands on a bottle. I know i would.

I think any of us who passed on these back in the day would love to get there hands on a bottle. I know i would.

the store owner said it was 2 young fellas from AL with an SUV packed full of whiskey in the blacked-out window rear compartment & backseat. They told him that it was all purchased that day from stores all over town. They said they had spent $4-5K but he said it looked to be at least $10K from what he saw. They told him quite openly that they could not get such things in AL and bought it all for resale to collectors.

holy crap! there are no "professional" dusty hunters willing to cross state lines and buy up dusties in bulk in order to sell for profit?:bigeyes:

holy crap! there are no "professional" dusty hunters willing to cross state lines and buy up dusties in bulk in order to sell for profit?:bigeyes:

oops! that "no" should be "now".

A liquor store just outside of Nashville just sold their last ORVW 23 decanter for a reported 699.00. The distributer purchased it. tim

A liquor store just outside of Nashville just sold their last ORVW 23 decanter for a reported 699.00. The distributer purchased it. tim

Snagged mine just outside of nashville about a month ago for $400.

Snagged mine just outside of nashville about a month ago for $400.

Jealous. :cry:

I love the thrill of driving 300 miles to pick up a rare few bottles like I've done in the past. If I knew a store in the west/mid-west that had a bottle, I'd totally make a road trip out of it.

Jealous. :cry:

I love the thrill of driving 300 miles to pick up a rare few bottles like I've done in the past. If I knew a store in the west/mid-west that had a bottle, I'd totally make a road trip out of it.

It most definitely was a road trip. Left at 9am and returned about 6pm. 3 hr drive each way with a stop in nashville to eat and visit with my brother.

Normally I wouldn't go out of my way to pick up bourbon. But, for this, I would have driven further. It's a sight to behold.

The whole package is really cool. I havent opened mine yet. picked mine up when it was released after much indecision. (can bourbon really warrant this kind of price?) I should have bougt two.

• 4 weeks later...

Found this tucked away in a locked case in the corner of a shop covered in dust. I never even saw it, the gf pointed it out to me knowing i like the pappy stuffs and she had never seen one of these. I think there was a whopping 45 seconds from the time I saw it until the time i paid for it. I still get butterflies thinking i finally got one, and at MSRP!!!!!

camerazoom2012021120341.jpg

camerazoom2012021120344.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.