Birthday Bourbon '03

bourbonmed
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Location, location, location...

Old Forester B-Day bourbon will come in 2 'flavors' this year. Lots 90J17 and 90D27, both from 1990, show the importance of maturation environment, namely how location can create different ranges of flavors in the same bourbon.

One lot was stored on the 1st floor of the warehouse (cool) and the other was exposed to the heat of higher floors. L & G hopes to have 1,000 cases of one and 450 of the other. Bottling starts in July.

Happy B-Day friends and neighbors!

Omar

So now I am going to have to buy TWO bottles of Birthday bourbon this year just to get the basics. . . sheesh, I can hear my wallet crying already. . .

Seriously, if its as good as last year, I can't wait!! grin.gifgrin.gif

TomC

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />

L & G hopes to have 1,000 cases of one and 450 of the other. Bottling starts in July.

Bobby, here's the scoop:

Last year, they bottled nearly 500 cases (6 bottles per case). L & G promptly sold out of this inaugural limited edition in 2 days.

This year they'll triple the amount of cases by having the two releases at once. Even so, that's less than 8700 bottles available worldwide.

They'll use the same cool bottle as last year w/ some label design changes.

Omar

I was wondering if the bottle style would change or not. Thanks for the info on this one Omar. smile.gif Will all these great offerings this year ever cease! wink.gif

I like the bottle enough, but it takes up too much valuable real estate in my liquor cabinet. I was hoping they would change it. Hell, just give it to me in 2 liter bottles smirk.gif

Haha, yeah I was kinda hoping they would change it as well jeff, but hey as long as the product is as superb, it's all good with me. wink.gif

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />

Let's hope not!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the info Omar!

Just today I received a call from Binny's regarding a recent order. They told me that I was getting the last 2 bottles of '02 Birthday Bourbon that they had in stock. So we'll all need to look elsewhere for more. I plan to stock up better on the '03 version.

Chuck,

At that price, maybe their supply will last until the February 2004 warehouse clearance sale, around which I am already planning my future purchases. (This year I paid full price for Hirsch 16 in January, only to see it on sale for $53.99, IIRC, a month later. Of course, one never knows what will be on sale, but wait-and-see looks like a good strategy to me.)

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Bill, welcome back!

The '03 Birthday version(s) will be out Sept. 2 -- at least in Kentucky. Just one more reason to consider a pilgrimage to the holiest of bourbon shrines, Bardstown, on the 3rd weekend in September.

Omar

I agree, Dave. That is about $17 more than I paid in Alabama, "the home of high liquor prices".

Tim

• 1 month later...

I just received an order from Binnys and had ordered one bottle. The 2002 botling was sent. Still waiting on the 2003.

Well, you're in luck. The 2002 OFBB is the best bourbon I've ever tasted.

Tim

• 1 month later...

New info on the upcoming 'Birthday' vintage bourbons from Old Forester.

- One is 'Spring 1990' (93 proof)

- The other is 'Fall 1990' (89 proof)

Labrot & Graham promises the unique character of the 1990 vintages will not be replicated again. Release date is Sept. 2nd.

Hint to our Commonwealth of Kentucky members: Availability should be way better than last year, but if supplies are limited next month, you represent our best chance to get a taste at the fest. grin.gif

Omar

Great news Omar! Question though, do you know which one is the more 'limited' one based on your previous numbers?

Hiya Mark,

L & G didn't specify which one was 450 cases. Both are quite limited when compared to the standard 86 or 100 proof Forester expressions. Let's hope they have them in the stores this time.

Omar

You're not kidding! And if the stores do get them in, Bobby may make a day out of driving to them all! grin.giflol.gif I'm sure we'll score some somewhere or our KY friends will hook us up! wink.gif

If he has enough money to clean out the state of OFBB after stockpiling 21 bottles of Stagg, then I need to quit my job and go work with him. tongue.gif

Wow, only a couple weeks away toast.gif I do have a problem with this "double" release though. Now I feel like I have to stock up plenty of both of them. Do we know anything about the price points? Will each have a distintive label? Will the proof be the same? I need answers please confused.gif

I'll get some I'm sure, There was still some around about a month after release if you didn't mind driving all over Louisville for it. I don't think I'll corner the market for sure. I guess my plan is to get one of each, pop the tops and decide which one to hoard, Or Plan "B", buy as much as possible of the small order first and then go for the other one. grin.gif I suppose the moving of FRSB to spring is a good thing when viewed from September 2.

I suppose the moving of FRSB to spring is a good thing when viewed from September 2.

laugh.gif hahahaha... maybe they coordinated so that the consumers of these 'special' bourbons (us) have a chance for their bank accounts to recover in between releases... grin.gif

-Chris

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.