Birthday Bourbon '03

bourbonmed
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Manhattan, so far as I could tell, was Birthdayless as of yesterday. I checked Warehouse and Astor Place, both of which have two of the three original BT Antiques still on the shelves, but no OFBB. Mr. Wright's says its distributor has no idea if it'll even be available to them. frown.gif Looks like festival time for my first sampling, too.

Well it's too late again, I just bought the last case of OFBB in the state of Ky. grin.gif

Disclaimer, Unless you were on the chat last nite disregard the above message bs.giflol.gif

Bobby, Jeff:

You haven't cleaned up the shelves in the southern part of the state, i.e. Bowling Green, have you? skep.gif

Omar

This Thread , very active a week ago, isn't seeing too much action now. What would fix that? I think once folks have their very own bottles in hand the urge to post will again be a strong one. I stopped at a liquor store today just to see if they had OFBB. They didn't and the lady behind the counter, I could see her eyes glazing over as I recounted the story of Mr George Garvin Brown, etc.I guess anything more than Give me a half pint of Jim Beam, A pack of Winstons and a Coke, can I write this check for 10 dollars over, will cause that!I won't say she could have cared less, but at the same time, she was unconcerned about the whole thing! horseshit.gif

This Thread , very active a week ago, isn't seeing too much action now. What would fix that?

Well, at least for my situation, it's exactly what you speculated: no Birthday Bourbon '03 available. It's depressing actually--this whole limited release phenomenon is just like reliving the Stagg drought. I even made a trek to DC to see if my favorite high-end liquor store had PLANS to get some. I bought two bottles of the '02, and while at the register I inquired if they would be getting the '03. The guy gave me that glazed look you described when I told him there would be two releases this year. I don't think he even understood that it is a 'vintage' bourbon!

It's been touched on before...but I think we fanatics have to make peace with the fact that we're a rare breed (no pun intended!) Retailers don't have the slightest clue.

banghead.gif

OneCubeOnly,

Don't despair fellow bourbonian. If your liquor store is clueless, call the Old Forester distributor in your state. Louisville's East End was supposed to get a bunch of the Spring cases. Maybe the stores are ordering a little at a time, for fear of getting stuck w excess inventory. Mike, can you update us from L'ville?

The KY release date of the Fall Vintage is holding firm, December 8th.

Omar

The guy gave me that glazed look you described when I told him there would be two releases this year. I don't think he even understood that it is a 'vintage' bourbon!

I was pleasantly surprised when in Florida this summer the clerk of the ABC store was really interested. It happens he was the beer manager and really interested in his selection of beers but also wanted to learn more about spirits. I praised a few bourbons they had but mentioned several that I thought they might be able to get. He introduced me to the spirits manager but that guy was not quite so enthusiastic. A lot of those types seem to be interested in hot sellers and then 1 or 2 items to recommend for top shelf.

Omar,

I'm not Mike, but I can tell you the Party Source on Shelbyville Road has a couple of cases ($31.99). And Evergreen Liquors (also on Shelbyville Rd.) has over a case, but they want $33.99.

AND...

Guthrie @ Toddy's Liquors has agreed to hold 5/6 bottles until the the Festival for ya'll, but he wants $36.99.

No one will go home dry... drink.gif

Bj

BTW,

I found a cache of Weller 19 (Antique Collection) at a shop in Lexington. If anyone's interested, before it all disappears, I can deliver at Festival Time.

cool.gif

Thanks for supply scoop Brenda.

Ed, Jim Butler is a huge fan of the Weller 19. Send him a PM in case he's not checking forum today.

Omar

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.