WSR now NAS

jburlowski
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Noticed at the store to say that the new bottles of WSR no longer have an AS. (Or maybe the marketing flacks at BT will say "there was no room on the label".)

Looks like the supply not meeting demand is now the reality that was seen coming...or is it the history of BT being very successful with other nas products.

Well, according to my conversation with Kris Comstock when the OWA went NAS...we can now worry. :bigeyes:

Well there's a tidy excuse for a run on the Binny's AS WSR that's sill pretty plentiful on the shelves...

OK, this is just me talking.....Just my opinion, as I'm sure there will be many that are contrary to it......But....:22::22::22::22::22::22::22::22:. I reckon I'm in the minority, but WSR is The Most Boring bourbon in our enthusiast crosshairs. Not one redeeming quality to my fine tastes ;), other than when it's deeply discounted to $9.99. And even then, I don't buy it. But, here's my concern. IMHO, the Weller Antique has survived going to NAS to this point. I'm just hoping that this move isn't a sign of the brand continuing to take hits, and the OWA taking another hit, too. If so, I'll leave all the WSR for whomever cherishes them, but will attempt to put my fair share of OWA away in my bunker.

Ahh boy. This sucks.

I hope we are not to the point the bourbon is so popular that quality does not matter. OWA Nas is my favorite EDP.

OK, this is just me talking.....Just my opinion, as I'm sure there will be many that are contrary to it......But....:22::22::22::22::22::22::22::22:. I reckon I'm in the minority, but WSR is The Most Boring bourbon in our enthusiast crosshairs. Not one redeeming quality to my fine tastes ;), other than when it's deeply discounted to $9.99. And even then, I don't buy it. But, here's my concern. IMHO, the Weller Antique has survived going to NAS to this point. I'm just hoping that this move isn't a sign of the brand continuing to take hits, and the OWA taking another hit, too. If so, I'll leave all the WSR for whomever cherishes them, but will attempt to put my fair share of OWA away in my bunker.

Right fellas. The Van Winkel brand is the answer, here, I think. BT will hit a grand slam by selling Weller product under VW labels at 2-3 times the price. Heck, maybe 3-4X's...I would do the same thing if I were in their shoes. Great business sense if you can pull it off. They've certainly been laying the groundwork from a marketing perspective the last year, or so. It's a business...We shouldn't forget, it's a business...

The Van Winkel brand is the answer, here, I think. BT will hit a grand slam by selling Weller product under VW labels at 2-3 times the price. Heck, maybe 3-4X's...I would do the same thing if I were in their shoes. Great business sense if you can pull it off. They've certainly been laying the groundwork from a marketing perspective the last year, or so. It's a business...We shouldn't forget, it's a business...

Assuming Julian owns the VW label, I'd have a hard time seeing this happen. Still a green newbie, but I'd guess the production on the Weller brand is much larger than that of VW (which I don't think BT owns anyhow). I've read too many interviews with JVW to think he'd sell out and take production up like that.

That said, I have a hard time consistently finding Weller products, so I'd guess demand is the driver here. YMMV

Right fellas. The Van Winkel brand is the answer, here, I think. BT will hit a grand slam by selling Weller product under VW labels at 2-3 times the price. Heck, maybe 3-4X's...I would do the same thing if I were in their shoes. Great business sense if you can pull it off. They've certainly been laying the groundwork from a marketing perspective the last year, or so. It's a business...We shouldn't forget, it's a business...

"It's a bizniss, it ain't unicef."

-Joe Dirt

I get all that. I just remain on the "killing the golden goose" side of the equation.

VW has been hyped very well by the marketing people. Now comes the real test, in the information age can premium prices be maintained when people find out that 'SW all Gone'?

Anyways, forget all this premium nonsense, now I'm gonna have to start hoarding things like OWA and Saz Jr. and Weller 12. Now it's like I have to chase the regular stuff let alone the ltd. expressions.

Maybe it's time to switch to vodka and forget all this nonsense. :grin:

Assuming Julian owns the VW label, I'd have a hard time seeing this happen. Still a green newbie, but I'd guess the production on the Weller brand is much larger than that of VW (which I don't think BT owns anyhow). I've read too many interviews with JVW to think he'd sell out and take production up like that.

There is only one wheat mashbill recipe being distilled at BT that is going into both the Wellers and the Van Winkles (that are comprised of BT distilled). It is ageing barrel selection that will then separate them. There are prior posts here from Julian himself hinting as to when the ORVW and then Lot B changed to BT distilled. It is now going on 10 years since their formed relationship and the demand for the ageing barrels has increased because of that relationship. Only BT knows when their wheat recipe production increased and if it was only 3,4 or 5 years ago there is going to be shortages till ageing stock catches up.

No doubt... If WSR is now NAS. One has to wonder... Is Weller 12 next?

Here's hoping since "12" is in the name that we're in the clear there.

I get all that. I just remain on the "killing the golden goose" side of the equation.

VW has been hyped very well by the marketing people. Now comes the real test, in the information age can premium prices be maintained when people find out that 'SW all Gone'?

Anyways, forget all this premium nonsense, now I'm gonna have to start hoarding things like OWA and Saz Jr. and Weller 12. Now it's like I have to chase the regular stuff let alone the ltd. expressions.

Maybe it's time to switch to vodka and forget all this nonsense. :grin:

Jimmy can help you with that vodka thing. :D

The total number of people on the planet who know of S-W, and care about S-W, is equal to the number of members on this site...halved. The VW brand name is what's important now. And, the Van Winkle's themselves have little say in it. BT is driving that bus now. They'll keep the legend going, because it furthers the effort. The information age you refer to is full of the fluff of the brand, and little of the truth of S-W/VW. Did you hear that David Chang video? That's it in a nutshell. You think the S-W discussions on dates, provenance, distillate are f&*$d up now? It will only get worse. BT will see to that. These guys are good. Very good. Please don't take this to mean I think this is a bad thing, or that BT are bad people. Not in the least. I love BT. It's just how business is done. They are following a tried and true model. It's been successful thousands of times across a wide spectrum of bussinesses, and will be successful a thousand more times. Heck, it's been done in the bourbon industry for decades. And finally, don't think the Van Winkle's are being dragged into this kicking and screaming. My guess would be that the opposite is true. There's a lot of money to be made for everyone when it works. And, they've fought the good fight for a lot of years. And, brought us a lot of great whiskey during that time. I'll bet it wasn't easy. They could have mailed it in a long time ago. But, whiskey is in their blood.

It's a business. Steel, plastic, cars, TV's, widgets...bourbon.

Julian P. Van Winkle will be to his whiskey, what Ettore Boiardi is to his pasta...

And I just had to love wheaters. :skep: There goes that to hell in a hand basket. :cry:

And I just had to love wheaters. :skep: There goes that to hell in a hand basket. :cry:

"Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine." :D

So, we'll have to start referring to WSR 7yr now?

Presumably BT feels pretty confident they can match the flavor profile without 7-year whiskey, right? While I'm not happy about this, I've been pretty happy with their performance on OWA. Maybe this won't be a bad thing. Maybe ...

So, we'll have to start referring to WSR 7yr now?

Presumably BT feels pretty confident they can match the flavor profile without 7-year whiskey, right? While I'm not happy about this, I've been pretty happy with their performance on OWA. Maybe this won't be a bad thing. Maybe ...

Ohh it's a bad thing.

The question is if brand dilution can survive the long game. Since 'merica has not quite grown up in terms of palette evolution the answer is 'probably'.

But that wall 'o diminishing returns' is a steep slope indeed when the thrill is gone, or the bloom is off the rose, or uhh the "chrome ain't so shiny no more".

Then again, there IS the 'wax which shall not be named'. And the disneyfication of 'merica shall continue, and:

'the marketers shall inherit the earth' (deansheen 3:16)

So I guess the point has already been proven. Death to good bourbon, long live good bourbon.

"Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine." :D

Yeah. "Here's looking at you kid."

No doubt... If WSR is now NAS. One has to wonder... Is Weller 12 next?

That is the logical line of thought but not something that will likely happen right away...but, who knows? BT apparently has done a pretty darn good job with OWA so I guess they have become emboldened to move on down the line. Just another label to fall in line with the continuing trend of age statements being a thing of yesteryear.

While OWA has been successful thus far, WT101 is a miserable failure in this regard IMHO. A preliminary thought: I wonder if the wheaters are easier to match taste profile? Another question: how far will this proceed? If we look 10 years down the road, will there be no age statements except on the ultra-premium labels? Sounds like northbound prices on those. Of course, it could backfire in terms of price on the NAS and we see those numbers plateau...we can only hope for the best...lol

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.