WSR now NAS

jburlowski
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

With requisite price hike, presumably? I feel like I should pick up a case right now while it's still $20 a bottle.

I certainly would as the "requisite price hike" will no doubt come surely sooner than later. Wow, $20 is a great price. Maybe the retailer will give you a further break on buying a case. I have seen it in my riding circuit for $24-30. I hope all of this doesn't start a 'run'. I may have to go get it @ $24 while still there and while still $24...lol

Or how about Weller 12 Star?

I'm sure that's already in the works. I only like age stated whiskey, so here's another one I won't buy.

Joe :usflag:

Or how about Weller 12 Star?

We laugh...but, what will it be called since it is has always been "Weller 12"? Taking this discussion a step further, what are the chances the label will be be ditched altogether? Otherwise, why would they market two (2) NAS 90 proofers in WSR and what is now known as Weller 12? IIRC, WSR has been around a lot longer and is much more well established than the Weller 12 label.

We laugh...but, what will it be called since it is has always been "Weller 12"?

They could alway leave Weller 12 alone and just move it up market and price it as a premium for those willing to pay more for the age statement.

They could alway leave Weller 12 alone and just move it up market and price it as a premium for those willing to pay more for the age statement.

Weller 12 Lot C. With corresponding price increase and availability decrease.

I don't see the price going up that much in price (no more than 5 or 10 at the most) seeing that the van winkle 10 years are available for 5-10$ more.

Probably just trying to create more demand for it by limiting its availability.

I don't see the price going up that much in price (no more than 5 or 10 at the most) seeing that the van winkle 10 years are available for 5-10$ more.

Probably just trying to create more demand for it by limiting its availability.

Of course that means you are assuming that the Van Winkle 10 year

1. Doesn't also go up in price

or

2. Doesn't go NAS :bigeyes:

Of course that means you are assuming that the Van Winkle 10 year

1. Doesn't also go up in price

or

2. Doesn't go NAS :bigeyes:

I can't speak to number 1 but number 2 is laughable. The Van Winkle business model is built on solid branding and very limited availability. Removing an age statement would directly undercut the brand, and ease supply when they don't really want to.

If the Van Winkles get thin on 10 y/o stock, they'll either release less of it, or find another source. I'm pretty sure they've done both in the past.

I can't speak to number 1 but number 2 is laughable. The Van Winkle business model is built on solid branding and very limited availability. Removing an age statement would directly undercut the brand, and ease supply when they don't really want to.

If the Van Winkles get thin on 10 y/o stock, they'll either release less of it, or find another source. I'm pretty sure they've done both in the past.

My point wasn't that either of these were going to happen or even a possibility. All I was trying to say is you can't assume a price on Weller 12 based on the price of ORV (of any other product for that matter),

Who are they going to source from? Maker's? hehehehe

To continue the derailing of this thread...

On the distillery tour I attempted to get a sip of the barrel proof expression, but (having already taken a sip of the white dog) our tour guide wouldn't let anyone in my group hold the glass of barrel proof Maker's. Then he disposed of it after talking about it. :hot:

bought a handle of OWA and 1L size of WSR, both old label style this afternoon. The new dusties....

To continue the derailing of this thread...

On the distillery tour I attempted to get a sip of the barrel proof expression, but (having already taken a sip of the white dog) our tour guide wouldn't let anyone in my group hold the glass of barrel proof Maker's. Then he disposed of it after talking about it. :hot:

That would have called for a citizen's arrest.

We laugh...but, what will it be called since it is has always been "Weller 12"? Taking this discussion a step further, what are the chances the label will be be ditched altogether? Otherwise, why would they market two (2) NAS 90 proofers in WSR and what is now known as Weller 12? IIRC, WSR has been around a lot longer and is much more well established than the Weller 12 label.

Don't forget the discontinued Weller Centennial. Maybe that's one reason they're keeping the Weller 12 around. Food for thought.

Don't forget the discontinued Weller Centennial. Maybe that's one reason they're keeping the Weller 12 around. Food for thought.

Very good thought...let's hope you have something there.

bought a handle of OWA and 1L size of WSR, both old label style this afternoon. The new dusties....

I was also thinking about picking up some old label Frankfort owa and wsr. Still plentiful but...:rolleyes:

I was also thinking about picking up some old label Frankfort owa and wsr. Still plentiful but...:rolleyes:

I don't bother with the old label Frankfort OWA anymore, unless it's from the '09 or earlier than '04ish. The new stuff is just so good!

Old silver label Weller 12 is a totally different story, I grab them whenever I can.

There is plenty of WSR with the 7 year label here in SC. But writing that OWA with or without the year statement is just a better juice.

I popped a WSR7 and for a 90 proofer, it packs some nice spicey notes. I really liked it a great deal. Had the Weller 12 right after...really nice, but not sure I liked it any more than the 7.

I saw some of the NAS WSR on the shelf today right next to some with the AS. It's a shame that we can no longer be certain that the WSR (and especially the OWA) is aged at least 7 years.

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.