Four Roses LE 1B 2012

AaronWF
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Four Roses warehouses at Cox's Creek are all single story units so the temperature variation between the lowest barrel and the highest barrel in any warehouse is a fraction of what you see elsewhere.

I'll take a crack at the barrel code:

SN = Warehouse 'S' North

81-2F = Rick 81, second row up, 6th barrel back from the aisle (or 6th barrel put into the rick).

The difference between the second and third level of barrels is roughly 3 feet.

I have bottles from barrel SN 81-3O at 54.3% that have not been opened (yet).

Edited by callmeox

You are correct Mr. Ox. There is a north and south door for most of the warehouses, only 4 or 5 are E/W instead. Inside the door is a long row of ricks, 6 high, and 23? barrels deep. So it would be Warehouse S, North door, Rick 81, second row up, 6th barrel. I can't remember if its 6 from the aisle, or 6 from the wall, but I think it is from the aisle, lettered A-W.

So you will never have an X, Y, or Z barrel.

The point was well made that the barrels from the 3rd shelf seem to be higher in Abv than barrels on the 2nd shelf. Question is, does new make go into the barrel at different Abv or does a few feet above and below make that big a difference?

I'll take a crack at the barrel code:

SN = Warehouse 'S' North

81-2F = Rick 81, second row up, 6th barrel back from the aisle (or 6th barrel put into the rick).

I've never been to the 4R distillery, so I now know more about my bottle than I ever thought I would. Thanks!

They fill barrels from a large tank, so different barrel/different proof would not be the case. Seems like just the difference in barrels.

The proof is set in the bulk delivery tank using water, a large balance (scale) and a high tech piece of cardboard.

I can't imagine that the difference in proof is due to row that it is in and our sampling data is very small to come to that conclusion.

I got 4 bottles and I wish I would have gotten more.

Sometimes I think Mr Rutledge is a God.

And there are times that I think he is the Devil,....ya know after being "served" to many.

I got 4 bottles and I wish I would have gotten more.

Sometimes I think Mr Rutledge is a God.

And there are times that I think he is the Devil,....ya know after being "served" to many.

Oscar...

Been savoring the new FRB LE and (sorta) agree: either a minor god or (thank you so very much) a major devil. :cool:

So with that endorsement it's safe to say it's better than 2011 release? Also, how would you rank it next to Marriage 2009?

So with that endorsement it's safe to say it's better than 2011 release? Also, how would you rank it next to Marriage 2009?
Edited by jburlowski

Certainly better than the 2011 (which was good in its own right). But the 2009 Mariage (a.k.a. the nectar of the gods)? No... but that's almost an impossible to reach standard.

Look: anything out of FR these days (especially one of the special LE releases) is going to be better (IMO), than 90%+ of the current bourbon releases.

Yes. they're that good.

Edited by Josh

What John said. ^^^^^

This is where I currently stand with the LE Singles in case anybody gives a rat's ass: 2009>120th>2012>40th>2011>100th

Look: anything out of FR these days (especially one of the special LE releases) is going to be better (IMO), than 90%+ of the current bourbon releases.

Yes. they're that good.

I totally agree with this. I think FR consistently puts out the one of the best products out there.

I guess I understand why I see the 100th all over the place around here.

There were those who liked it, but it was just too woody and too dull for me.

Being that these are all 1B releases, you can expect on average 200 bottles from each year's release to be identical (as in, a barrel yields roughly 200 bottles) and the other 3000+ bottles to be different. My 2012 LE1B began like a champ and finished like a withered prune; the last 1/3 of the bottle, over only a 4-5 week period lost its finish entirely. This is the opposite experience to what I found with the '11 LE1B I had. That one started out hot and impenetrable, then opened up over the course of 6-8 weeks into a mind-blowingly profound delight. I really wanted to write a review of the '12, but by the time I sat down to do a formal tasting, all the joy had been whisked from the bottle - deeply disappointing.

My 120th Ann bottle was very, very tight when I opened it. It was all wood. It loosened up over the course of a month or two, but I wasn't quite patient enough with it, as of the second half of the bottle, only the last 1/3 or so was great. But it got better and better over time. My 100th Ann bottle was a rockstar all the way through, though to be fair, it was the first LE I had.

The moral of my story is try them all. FR has one foot in the past, one foot in the future, and its gigantic dong humbly hovers over all current competition...

FR has one foot in the past, one foot in the future, and its gigantic dong humbly hovers over all current competition...

I was just describing them the exact same way the other day.

Finally made it to Atlanta...55.3% / SN 81-3J

Dude! We're barrel bros!

Being that these are all 1B releases, you can expect on average 200 bottles from each year's release to be identical (as in, a barrel yields roughly 200 bottles) and the other 3000+ bottles to be different. My 2012 LE1B began like a champ and finished like a withered prune; the last 1/3 of the bottle, over only a 4-5 week period lost its finish entirely. This is the opposite experience to what I found with the '11 LE1B I had. That one started out hot and impenetrable, then opened up over the course of 6-8 weeks into a mind-blowingly profound delight. I really wanted to write a review of the '12, but by the time I sat down to do a formal tasting, all the joy had been whisked from the bottle - deeply disappointing.

My 120th Ann bottle was very, very tight when I opened it. It was all wood. It loosened up over the course of a month or two, but I wasn't quite patient enough with it, as of the second half of the bottle, only the last 1/3 or so was great. But it got better and better over time. My 100th Ann bottle was a rockstar all the way through, though to be fair, it was the first LE I had.

The moral of my story is try them all. FR has one foot in the past, one foot in the future, and its gigantic dong humbly hovers over all current competition...

Dude! I am having the same experience! My 2011 when I opened it was just so damn hot. After a month or so I revisited it, and found it remarkable.

Whiskey is a strange and sometimes forgiving beast @_@

FR has one foot in the past, one foot in the future, and its gigantic dong humbly hovers over all current competition...

If I'm reading this correctly, 4R is giving the competition a Roman Helmet?

If I'm reading this correctly, 4R is giving the competition a Roman Helmet?

Well you can go there if you like, but my initial image casts FR as more of a giant spanning time whose large swinging dong of the present dwarfs the competition. I don't see frat rules in effect, but to each his own...

• 1 month later...

Just picked up a bottle the other day.

I'm with Oscar on this one.

My Bourbon of the Year.

Now I just got to pick up a couple of more bottles.

Just picked up a bottle the other day.

I'm with Oscar on this one.

My Bourbon of the Year.

Now I just got to pick up a couple of more bottles.

Could not agree more!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.