Tequila Forum

Max Power

Thanks Kane and Joe. Those are helpful perspectives. What’s a good beginner blanco? Maybe stick with the Tres Generaciones as a basis for comparison?

1 hour ago, Charlutz said:

Thanks Kane and Joe. Those are helpful perspectives. What’s a good beginner blanco? Maybe stick with the Tres Generaciones as a basis for comparison?

Some affordable stuff you should be able to find very easily: "Fortaleza" is always a crowd pleaser, and its blanco also has a higher proof version if you can find it. I'm partial to "Partida" and "El Tesoro". Now I'll shut up and let the more experienced folks chime in :)

This recent post I made in the non-whiskey thread might be of some use in thinking about choices. I don't know if the list in the linked article is exhaustive (or even 100% accurate!) but it is the best info I have.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had a flight of tequila with dinner tonight and they brought it with sangrita. There’s only one discussion of sangrita here, about 5 years ago. I found it too spicy to be a good palate cleanser, though I did like the flavor. We were having a variety of taco and other plates so plenty of spice and variety already. I’m a tequila novice and enjoyed comparing the three varieties. 

2B044766-42E8-4FCD-86BF-4AD9D7936E05.jpeg

On 3/11/2018 at 6:16 PM, Charlutz said:

I just picked up a TG anejo at 40% off at a closing liquor store!

I stopped drinking tequila when the celebrity's got into the distillery game. Most of it tasted like urine from rapid alpacas. Lately, though, I had a craving for a genuine, handmade, margarita. After reading up on some reviews and analysing medals, I found very decent resposado, Espolon. Very smooth and pleasant. No medicinal notes. A very easy sipper.

AWWFB40.jpg

• I like it 2

Yeah, that's a good one.

If you can find - Olmeca Altos or Ultimo Agave; those are good too, around the same price range.

A lot of the big name tequilas you see everywhere are swill, no matter how much they advertise.

• I like it 1

• 3 weeks later...

So my wife is my Tequila drinker and has helped me educate my palate in this regards.  She prefers the Anejo Tequilas with Patron Anejo as her go to in this regard.  So as a gift, I gave her a bottle of Gran Patron Piedra and she graciously allowed me a taste.  This is a lovely product.  Very complex and on par with the high end bourbons.  It is not a regular drinker at its current price point but for a special bottle, it is worth it.

I have also explored the Mezcals a bit as I prefer the peaty scotches and like the Montelobos product.  I like their tag line “Tequila to heal the sick, Mezcal to raise the dead.”  

Have to break out the Tequila for Cinco de Mayo tomorrow.  Also happens to be my Birthday.   A Twofer!

• 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Sipping on some tequila tonight. This was recommended to me, and I’m very glad I picked it up. This is a very flavorful, soft sipping tequila. Damn good. 020F019D-9C6E-4F5E-BB64-6DB2839EEFB2.thumb.jpeg.5fab67cf5401c9906c5f784c0e7a54d9.jpeg

• I like it 2

• 2 weeks later...

I bought my wife a bottle of Tres Barricas.  Based on the information, it contains a blend of three tequilas aged for 4 years each: Tennessee Whiskey barrels, Tawny Port barrels, and Ruby Port barrels.  My wife thought it to be very unique with the ruby port really shining through.  I thought it was  very smooth and would agree with her that Ruby Port has the strongest contribution to the flavor.  She would put it on the shelf and drink it when the mood was right for something a bit different.

9C01814F-78D2-4F78-9FE8-80D161FE4510.jpeg

• I like it 1

I bought my wife a bottle of Tres Barricas.  Based on the information, it contains a blend of three tequilas aged for 4 years each: Tennessee Whiskey barrels, Tawny Port barrels, and Ruby Port barrels.  My wife thought it to be very unique with the ruby port really shining through.  I thought it was  very smooth and would agree with her that Ruby Port has the strongest contribution to the flavor.  She would put it on the shelf and drink it when the mood was right for something a bit different.
9C01814F-78D2-4F78-9FE8-80D161FE4510.thumb.jpeg.5dcc18c85859f10e6ee5cc8857553909.jpeg

That sounds pretty interesting!

Yep, both of us thought it quite good if a little out of typical tequila anejo taste profile.  The whiskey barrel influence does not come through very strong so if you are looking for that caramel note, it will be more subdued in this one.

• I like it 1

• 3 months later...

Well hello there, Tequila forum. Long time listener, first time caller. 

Enjoying my first bottle of Casa Noble Anejo this evening. 

• I like it 2

• 3 weeks later...

Ok. I have not thought about this forum for awhile. But tonight it is time to bring out my favorite tequila and relax for the evening. 

6B40D49A-8964-4620-BBDC-C58A4A347F82.jpeg

• I like it 1

I got curious about a 100% agave Tequila I saw on sale - Exotica Reposado.  So far, my review is positive, not sorry I picked it up.  Nose is typical herbal agave notes.  Viscosity is nice.  Taste is more herbal agave, with a little honey sweetness (not too much) and a touch of citrus and black pepper on the finish.  Overall, fairly standard mid shelf Tequila Reposado, along the lines of Jose Cuervo Traditional.

On 11/8/2019 at 1:19 AM, Kane said:

I prefer their blanco, but was in the mood for something warmer and sweeter.

00000PORTRAIT_00000_BURST20191107201512936.jpg

I tried the Reposado and Anejo recently and found I preferred the Reposado so picked up a bottle of that. Will try the Anejo again some time. 

Picked up a bottled of Tapatio Reposado today, caught my eye on an otherwise uneventful shopping trip... 

On 11/7/2019 at 11:19 PM, Kane said:

I prefer their blanco, but was in the mood for something warmer and sweeter.

00000PORTRAIT_00000_BURST20191107201512936.jpg

There's nothing like a good anejo at 8:15 in the morning. Clearly the scrambled eggs were just out of the picture.

Anyway, pro tip - you have to get part of your body in the shot and use 24h time on the clocks for it to work as an alibi.

• I like it 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A cool find during the move-- artifacts from my tequila days, with three unopened bottles to boot. I always loved these annual box RDLF releases.

IMG_3621.thumb.jpg.574a1b2e43011953fffa91133a564ddf.jpg

• I like it 3