Tequila Forum

Max Power

This arrived today via a buddy who just got back from MX. 7 Leguas D'antano, their Mexico-only 5 year extra anejo. I've been hoping to get one of these for a while!

post-7933-14489817906772_thumb.jpg

This arrived today via a buddy who just got back from MX. 7 Leguas D'antano, their Mexico-only 5 year extra anejo. I've been hoping to get one of these for a while!

Woohoo! Nice one, Luther. Enjoy!:grin:

I've been wanting to try that for a while. I need to get down to Mexico again so that I can get a bottle.

back from Costco

Lookin' forward to some fine margs per Max's rec

IMAG0750-1.jpg

It's a good mixer for an anejo. Lots of nice complimentary flavors. I almost bought a bottle today on my trip to Costco. For $20, you can't lose.

probably not fair, but we poured the Kirkland anejo ($20) and the Clase Azul reposado ($100) and did a blind taste test. I found the Kirkland thin with a strong alcohol smell. The CA was way smoother and sweeter. We'll have to see how the Kirkland does in a margarita; otherwise it's $20 down the drain--literally.

smallkirklandvclaseazul.jpg

probably not fair, but we poured the Kirkland anejo ($20) and the Clase Azul reposado ($100) and did a blind taste test. I found the Kirkland thin with a strong alcohol smell. The CA was way smoother and sweeter. We'll have to see how the Kirkland does in a margarita; otherwise it's $20 down the drain--literally.

smallkirklandvclaseazul.jpg

I actually like the Kirkland Anejo neat, but putting it next to Clase Azul is unfair in every way. It should be a fine mixer.

I actually like the Kirkland Anejo neat, but putting it next to Clase Azul is unfair in every way. It should be a fine mixer.

This. They're not in the same class. It's like trying to compare JB White Label to PVW15. It's not really a fair fight.

Clase Azul is in the class of tequilas that is VERY sweet. That might be the type you like best. NOM 1472 makes them a bit more earthy and often with more fruit. I really like Kirkland as an aged mixer for the price, but I'd never expect it to as good as something that costs 5x as much.

Starting early on a beautiful day here in Chicago. Was hoping my order from Hi Time Wine Cellars would arrive today but it looks like tomorrow's the arrival day, so I'm sipping on some Gran Centenario Reposado and an ice cold Bohemia. This will be a fun evening!

Starting early on a beautiful day here in Chicago. Was hoping my order from Hi Time Wine Cellars would arrive today but it looks like tomorrow's the arrival day, so I'm sipping on some Gran Centenario Reposado and an ice cold Bohemia. This will be a fun evening!

Similar circumstances here, Hank. Sippin' on Tres Generaciones Anejo and ice cold Modelo.

sob is coming over tonight. We'll probably mix it up with tequila, bourbon and scotch. Small tastes of a lot of things. Maybe a blind tasting bracket or something.

I know that we'll drink Angel's Envy, Balvenie Peated Cask 17 year and Aberlour A'Bunadh. Everything else is up in the air.

I've got a shipment coming from Hi Time tomorrow as well. Both nights should be good ones.

sob is coming over tonight. We'll probably mix it up with tequila, bourbon and scotch. Small tastes of a lot of things. Maybe a blind tasting bracket or something.

I know that we'll drink Angel's Envy, Balvenie Peated Cask 17 year and Aberlour A'Bunadh. Everything else is up in the air.

I've got a shipment coming from Hi Time tomorrow as well. Both nights should be good ones.

Sounds like a great night ahead. Wish you guys were closer so I could join you. Have fun!

Sounds like a great night ahead. Wish you guys were closer so I could join you. Have fun!

A fine night of tasting with SOB:

1. Embajador Mezcal

2. Angel's Envy

3. SB Blend

4. Aberlour

5. Balvenie 14 Caribbean Cask

6. Glenfiddich 15

7. Balvenie 17 Peated Cask

8. Great King Street

9. OF Birthday Bourbon

10. Elijah Craig 18

11. Crotalo Anejo

12. Cuervo Tradicional Reposado

13. JLP Reposado

14. Partida Anejo

15. Fina Estampa Blanco

16. Pura Vida Blanco

17. Don Julio 70th

18. 4 Copas Blanco

19. Chaya Blanco (15-19 done in blind tasting)

20. Aberlour 12

21. Tequileno 50th Ann. Anejo

22. El Ultimo Blanco

Obviously everything is a small sampling, but really a great variety of tastings done tonight. Twins victory and good basketball. A good night all around.

What Chicago burb are you in? My in-laws are in the Lake Geneva, WI area. A tasting may be possible at some point...

I'm in the near western suburbs and can see the Sears Tower from my corner on a clear. As I always say, "Have liver, will travel!":lol:

Did your shipment come on Saturday? What did you crack open?

Did your shipment come on Saturday? What did you crack open?

Yes and no. After waiting around at home until 1:30, hoping the shipment would arrive, I had to leave the house to take my son to his baseball game. My wife returned home one half hour later but the Fed Ex guy showed up literally minutes after I took off, so we missed him and now I have to wait until Tuesday.:hot: Made do with loads of Bohemia and the better part of a bottle of Hornitos.

Doing some sampling and reviewing tonight.

Seis Hermanas Blanco

Reserva de Mexico Anejo

Corzo Reposado

Viva Mexico Reposado

Marques de Valencia Reposado

Good stuff.

My whiskey shelves have been getting too much love lately, so I decided to pick up a Milagro Barrel Select Reposado this afternoon. I got suckered in by the fancy bottle, but I like the "normal" Milagro, so I figured it was worth $44 + tax to find out. It's very nice tasting.

Question: I noticed a "gurgling" sound when pouring this bottle, and peeked inside the long, thin bottle neck to see a three holed "aerator" in there. Is this standard to include on nice tequila bottles? What is it?

My whiskey shelves have been getting too much love lately, so I decided to pick up a Milagro Barrel Select Reposado this afternoon. I got suckered in by the fancy bottle, but I like the "normal" Milagro, so I figured it was worth $44 + tax to find out. It's very nice tasting.

Question: I noticed a "gurgling" sound when pouring this bottle, and peeked inside the long, thin bottle neck to see a three holed "aerator" in there. Is this standard to include on nice tequila bottles? What is it?

A lot of bottles have them. I've never found that it makes that much of a difference.

bunk - did you get the shipment and crack anything open last night?

The shipment arrived in the early evening and I had commitments that kept me out too late to have a drink when I got home. One thing I will say is that the Fortaleza, Corrido and Dos Lunas bottles are beautiful to look at (especially the Fortaleza) and look wonderful in my glass cabinet. Even the Muchote bottle has a charm of its own, with the emphasis quite obviously geared towards simplicity. I'm really looking forward to sampling all of them and think I'll start with the Fortaleza Blanco and Muchote Reposado tonight. Tomorrow night will be the anejos, Dos Lunas then Corrido as the finale. Funnily enough, this tequila purchase is actually quite reminiscent of the feeling I had when I fell head-long into bourbon, back to the time when my first waking thought of each day was what to sample later that evening. I must be suffering from tequilarexia nervosa!:lol:

Max Power (Kevin) gets a free drink for his recommendation of Muchote Reposado. The stuff is truly excellent! A friend and I sat out on the back deck last night and enjoyed a few Mexican beers and a couple of pours of the Muchote and we were both really impressed with the amazingly big nose and terrific finish. But what struck us both most was how viscous this tequila is--silky and rich with legs longer than Elle Macpherson's. And what a beautiful balance of sweet agave and peppery spice, all for $25! Get it!!

Max Power (Kevin) gets a free drink for his recommendation of Muchote Reposado. The stuff is truly excellent! A friend and I sat out on the back deck last night and enjoyed a few Mexican beers and a couple of pours of the Muchote and we were both really impressed with the amazingly big nose and terrific finish. But what struck us both most was how viscous this tequila is--silky and rich with legs longer than Elle Macpherson's. And what a beautiful balance of sweet agave and peppery spice, all for $25! Get it!!

If you liked that, I know you'll love to Corrido Anejo as well. Muchote is a top 3 value tequila. In blind tasting brackets of 16 good tequila, it finished 2nd only to the Corrido Anejo in March. For $25, it can hold its own with anyone.

Did you try the Fortaleza last night too?

If you liked that, I know you'll love to Corrido Anejo as well. Muchote is a top 3 value tequila. In blind tasting brackets of 16 good tequila, it finished 2nd only to the Corrido Anejo in March. For $25, it can hold its own with anyone.

Did you try the Fortaleza last night too?

Dangit, Hank! You had to up and mention Elle McPherson's legs. Now, I'm going to have to go out and get another bottle of tequila!! Glad it's only 25 bucks, though.

:toast:

PS: If you by chance see Adriana Lima as a descriptor in your next liquor experience, please let the bottle be inexpensive...Because I will be buying it by the case! :D