Tequila Forum

Max Power

5year from the phallic bottle ;)

I ended up selling that bottle at the Tourist drain the bar party. I'm 50/50 on whether they were interested in the tequila or not.

Still nursing bottles of Dos Lunas Anejo and Corrido Anejo to make them last as long as possible, but I pulled both out and had decent pours of each while cranking some Neil Young & Crazy Horse last night. I sure will be bummed when these two bottles are gone. El Tesoro Reposado (old label/bottle courtesy of Brother Luther's tip) on deck for tonight.

Still nursing bottles of Dos Lunas Anejo and Corrido Anejo to make them last as long as possible, but I pulled both out and had decent pours of each while cranking some Neil Young & Crazy Horse last night. I sure will be bummed when these two bottles are gone. El Tesoro Reposado (old label/bottle courtesy of Brother Luther's tip) on deck for tonight.

did some reviews tonight on Vida Añejo and Herradura Double Barrel Reposado. Very much enjoyed them both.

did some reviews tonight on Vida Añejo and Herradura Double Barrel Reposado. Very much enjoyed them both.

So does this Herradura get run through the diffuser or do you think it is it produced differently? I keep reading how B-F doesn't use the diffuser on Herradura and limits it to the Pepe Lopez mixto line but it seems a question mark at best.

So does this Herradura get run through the diffuser or do you think it is it produced differently? I keep reading how B-F doesn't use the diffuser on Herradura and limits it to the Pepe Lopez mixto line but it seems a question mark at best.

Without any actual proof, I can't say for sure. I've had standard Herradura that I'm absolutely convinced is diffuser juice. This did not seem to have the medicinal aspects that diffuser tequila seems to have. I know that Herradura doesn't use diffuser on the premium offerings and I suspect this is the same. NOM 1437 Don Roberto also has both on site. I've had some things from there that have been wonderful and others that have been clear diffuser juice. All I know if that I'm not generally a huge fan of Herradura because of the inconsistency, but this one was pretty solid. Vida was the better of the two, but they were hard to compare because the profiles were completely different.

Definitely not a show stopper, but I've been enjoying the heck out of some Camarena Reposado lately. For ~$20 it's a good sipping tequila IMO, and I generally don't like spirits that aren't brown.

Eric

Definitely not a show stopper, but I've been enjoying the heck out of some Camarena Reposado lately. For ~$20 it's a good sipping tequila IMO, and I generally don't like spirits that aren't brown.

Eric

Solid value out of that brand. I've had my share of it too. :)

Solid value out of that brand. I've had my share of it too. :)

It goes for $15 here quite often. I've pretty much always got a bottle in the cabinet. It's an "off profile" tequila to be sure - but I really enjoy it.

It goes for $15 here quite often. I've pretty much always got a bottle in the cabinet. It's an "off profile" tequila to be sure - but I really enjoy it.

Good distillery overall. NOM 1456 makes a good bunch of tequilas that well out perform their price. Camarena reposado might have a bit much vanilla for me as a mixer, but as a value sipper it's solid. The blanco works as a great budget mixer.

buvanysa.jpgmy local store got in a single barrel of tequila today, told it was a mix of anejo and extra anejo finished in French oak. Pretty good and nice peppery finish

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

buvanysa.jpgmy local store got in a single barrel of tequila today, told it was a mix of anejo and extra anejo finished in French oak. Pretty good and nice peppery finish

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by tanstaafl2

A local store is also doing one of these. I got to help choose among the samples and I think we ended up with the French oak version as well. Sounds like it may be May before we see it though.

French Oak does nice things for tequila. Hell, it makes a Cofradia distilled product palatable for Casa Noble...it can pretty much work miracles. Check out Excellia if you want a quality distilled product in French Oak. I like Dobel just fine, but it's not in the same league as Excellia. I'd love to try the unfiltered Dobel products that are finished. Cuervo is trying to do craft products with the market share loss from their garbage brands.

Don Pilar XA has also enjoyed some time in French Oak.

Edited by ChainWhip

I'm revisiting the Don Lorenzo Reposado tonight MP & it's really hitting the spot... Nice peppery notes supported by agave and light wood influence - maybe my tastebuds are warming up with the spring weather we're enjoying. ;-)

I'm revisiting the Don Lorenzo Reposado tonight MP & it's really hitting the spot... Nice peppery notes supported by agave and light wood influence - maybe my tastebuds are warming up with the spring weather we're enjoying. ;-)

That's interesting. My first taste with Don Lorenzo, I was kind of underwhlemed, but every time since I've really enjoyed it. The notes from being 65% reposado and 35% XA are both evident and creates a nicely balanced drink. Salud!

Thoroughly enjoyed my new bottle of Siete Leguas reposado. (Well, not the whole bottle!) Made for a wonderful post-Mexican dinner drink last night.

Thoroughly enjoyed my new bottle of Siete Leguas reposado. (Well, not the whole bottle!) Made for a wonderful post-Mexican dinner drink last night.

It's one of the can't miss brands out there. Top to bottom, great flavor and great value.

Agreed. The Anejo is the default bottle I get family to mule back with them from Mexico when they go for vacation...

Looking to explore Mezcal, specifically something I can drink neat but also not feel guilty about including in a cocktail. Any recommendations appreciated.

Looking to explore Mezcal, specifically something I can drink neat but also not feel guilty about including in a cocktail. Any recommendations appreciated.

Del Maguey Vida would be one that I think fits the bill. Wahaka has a stronger smoke element, but is also highly regarded. There's a lot of other people that can probably give you better advice than me on this, but from the Mezcal enthusiasts I know, Vida seems to be a good one for the type of what you're asking for.

Del Maguey Vida would be one that I think fits the bill. Wahaka has a stronger smoke element, but is also highly regarded. There's a lot of other people that can probably give you better advice than me on this, but from the Mezcal enthusiasts I know, Vida seems to be a good one for the type of what you're asking for.

Thanks Max!

Padpad

Picked up the Del Maguey Vida and it's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks again Max.