Tequila Forum

Max Power

Lots of different DM stuff. Which variation did you have?

It's Lot SLR 123, St. Luis del Rio. I like it a lot better now, after my wife bought me a bunch of tequila for my birthday. Compared to them, it's a real standout. I get a LOT of hot rubber tennis ball, and I mean that in the very best way.

Hosted a tasting the other night. Centinela round bottle was a stand out along with Don Pilar Añejo.

Hosted a tasting the other night. Centinela round bottle was a stand out along with Don Pilar Añejo.

Glad you still like it but I was fairly disappointed by the reposado I picked up a few months back and tried at a Wednesday tasting a couple of weeks ago. Maybe it will improve with a bit of time now that it is open but this particular day it seemed rather uninspired. Heck, the Joe Crow dressed up in a swanky bottle was a lot better and one of my favorite bargain bottles, El Mayor anejo, was better that particular day. It tasted, and looked, a bit thin and watery.

Glad you still like it but I was fairly disappointed by the reposado I picked up a few months back and tried at a Wednesday tasting a couple of weeks ago. Maybe it will improve with a bit of time now that it is open but this particular day it seemed rather uninspired. Heck, the Joe Crow dressed up in a swanky bottle was a lot better and one of my favorite bargain bottles, El Mayor anejo, was better that particular day. It tasted, and looked, a bit thin and watery.

It's a different tequila than many. It's floral, honeyed and fruity. Kind of like a Glenmorangie of tequilas. It's a mood tequila for me, but when in the right mood, it's perfect.

It's a different tequila than many. It's floral, honeyed and fruity. Kind of like a Glenmorangie of tequilas. It's a mood tequila for me, but when in the right mood, it's perfect.

Will have to try it again of course, perhaps on its own, but I don't recall it being any of that when we tried it. It was just light and thin without much of anything else. The fact that it is so light may have let it be overshadowed by other spirits that day.

Edited by tanstaafl2

Will have to try it again of course, perhaps on its own, but I don't recall it being any of that when we tried it. It was just light and thin without much of anything else. The fact that it is so light may have let it be overshadowed by other spirits that day.

I could see that happening with Centinela. The peppery bite of others could very well make it seem bland. The same could be said for more aged tequilas. It's often an early pour for me, so I may have to try the other way.

I could see that happening with Centinela. The peppery bite of others could very well make it seem bland. The same could be said for more aged tequilas. It's often an early pour for me, so I may have to try the other way.

The Dobel Maestro barrel pick we selected (it was not a standard off the shelf bottle which tends to be a bit more bland to me) was finished in French Oak so it definitely had some spice/pepper to it as well as retaining a fair agave taste despite both being aged and filtered. I was actually quite surprised and pleased with it especially considering the price. Don't know if it would be a regular pour as I don't much care if it is clear or colored but a very decent sipper. The El Mayor anejo held up against it but perhaps the Centinela just didn't have enough "oomph" to hold its own.

Not a real big Tequila drinker,nor a beer guy, however a few weeks back I took the wife out for lunch and decided to try something a bit different, a Dosarita, it was good and they gave me the recipe. I went out and bought the ingredients,and had me a few this past weekend,just for a change up from the bourbon thing.

2 parts Tequila, (I used Toro dorado Anejo)

1 part Triple sec

2 parts lime sour (I used Finest call, this was hard to find.. either on line, or I got it from a friend who ordered it thru his bar)

Pour all these over ice first then add a bottle of Dos equis, ( I then mixed them, which I guess you can or not)

Quite refreshing,drank 3 of these on Saturday, it was a good day.

I suppose it would work with a bourbon also,may have to try it next time.

If you like a good hangover keep using store sour mix! Always better to make your own if you can.

3 parts water

3 parts sugar

2 parts fresh lemon juice

2 parts fresh lime juice

Boil water and sugar to dissolve, let cool, add juice and shake.

Can vary the parts as you like. Some use a 1:1:1:1 ratio to simplify it or make it a bit less sweet.

Can use all lemon or all lime although I find a mix of the two works best to bring some nice tartness to the mix. Maybe a little more lemon and a little less lime for more tartness. Some add a touch of orange juice but too much can ruin it for me. Lasts about a week, maybe two, if refrigerated.

Finest Call brand claims it uses cane sugar and agave nectar and no corn syrup or additives so maybe it is ok. But I suspect it will be good for only a week or so as well once opened. Making your own is probably cheaper as well!

Not a real big Tequila drinker,nor a beer guy, however a few weeks back I took the wife out for lunch and decided to try something a bit different, a Dosarita, it was good and they gave me the recipe. I went out and bought the ingredients,and had me a few this past weekend,just for a change up from the bourbon thing.

2 parts Tequila, (I used Toro dorado Anejo)

1 part Triple sec

2 parts lime sour (I used Finest call, this was hard to find.. either on line, or I got it from a friend who ordered it thru his bar)

Pour all these over ice first then add a bottle of Dos equis, ( I then mixed them, which I guess you can or not)

Quite refreshing,drank 3 of these on Saturday, it was a good day.

I suppose it would work with a bourbon also,may have to try it next time.

Max Power, this Tequila Forum is great! I've been stuck at home for a few days while I had people remodeling the house. I had always wanted to read the whole thread beginning to end. So far, I've made it to the middle. I couldn't wait to post, and give you a big thumbs up on one of your recommendations. Around page 3 or 4 you gave a bunch of brands that were good buys. Like I did early with bourbon, I started to keep some notes. That way I'd have a list to take hunting. Anyway, yesterday I tried Ultimo Agave Reposado and was blown away. Man, that is some of the best Tequila I ever had in my life. I also tried some Jimidor Reposado, but in my opinion, was not even close. I consider Jimidor ok for cocktails, that's it. I've been looking for Muchote, that you like. At this point I'm not sure if we get it in Indiana or not. I can't get liquor shipped here. Good news though, quite a few of the other brands you recommend I can find. How is El Charro? If I love Ultimo, what else should I try? :grin:

Max Power, this Tequila Forum is great! I've been stuck at home for a few days while I had people remodeling the house. I had always wanted to read the whole thread beginning to end. So far, I've made it to the middle. I couldn't wait to post, and give you a big thumbs up on one of your recommendations. Around page 3 or 4 you gave a bunch of brands that were good buys. Like I did early with bourbon, I started to keep some notes. That way I'd have a list to take hunting. Anyway, yesterday I tried Ultimo Agave Reposado and was blown away. Man, that is some of the best Tequila I ever had in my life. I also tried some Jimidor Reposado, but in my opinion, was not even close. I consider Jimidor ok for cocktails, that's it. I've been looking for Muchote, that you like. At this point I'm not sure if we get it in Indiana or not. I can't get liquor shipped here. Good news though, quite a few of the other brands you recommend I can find. How is El Charro? If I love Ultimo, what else should I try? :grin:

Thanks for the kind words. I know that you technically can't get liquor shipped to IN, but I know a guy with HUGE selection that will do it. PM me if you want the details. I'll help make some recommendations from his stuff as well. Salud!

Thanks for the offer. I seem to be able to find quite a few different ones locally. I also don't pass up chances to hunt when I'm out of town. My sis-in -law lives in LA too. She'd probably help me out if I asked. So far I've see at least a half dozen or more of the lesser known ones you guys have liked.

I tried the El Charro Reposado. It's a lighter color than Ultimo, not quite as viscous. I think it's a decent Tequila with no rough edges.

I had some El Tesoro Blanco yesterday. Don't remember it being this good...

It's one that you probably appreciate more after having a few other tequilas. It's a bit vegetal, but has the right amount of agave sweetness and pepper at the end to round it out. I didn't like it as much initially as I do now either.

Bought a bottle of Centinela Anejo today. I looked at Corralejo, Corazon and even Corzo reposado's before deciding to try the Centinela. I really liked the Centinela Reposado. But I'm not actually digging this Anejo for some reason.

Bought a bottle of Centinela Anejo today. I looked at Corralejo, Corazon and even Corzo reposado's before deciding to try the Centinela. I really liked the Centinela Reposado. But I'm not actually digging this Anejo for some reason.

It's not a step above the repo. It's way to similar and the extra age probably takes away agave and adds nothing. I'd take the repo every time over añejo...but I'd still happily drink both. :D

u6age4u9.jpg

Just as watching Justified and Mad Men calls for KSBW, so too does The Bridge cry out for an appropriate bev. I'm not a tequila guy, but the one on the left was a nice re-introduction to it (having sat out on the spirit since '91), while its sibling on the right is one I'm slowly getting used to.

u6age4u9.jpg

Just as watching Justified and Mad Men calls for KSBW, so too does The Bridge cry out for an appropriate bev. I'm not a tequila guy, but the one on the left was a nice re-introduction to it (having sat out on the spirit since '91), while its sibling on the right is one I'm slowly getting used to.

Any other non-Sazerac options? Just wondering what you enjoy.

Any other non-Sazerac options? Just wondering what you enjoy.

Ha -- I took the plunge on this stuff *because* it was Saz! Last year, I got an ORVW KSBW, liked it of course, and wanted to see if I could pick up any of that flavor in the ORVW Corazon. I'm not certain that I can, but I really like that particular Corazon nonetheless. That led me to try Corazon's regular Anejo, which I wound up not liking much at first, though it is slowly growing on me. It's surprising to me how much these two Corazon Anejos differ.

While I don't much like smooth KSBW, it seems I do like smooth tequila. I'll be hitting my store later today--any reasonably-priced recs on where to go from here?

I picked up a Gran Dovejo K&L exclusive single barrel anejo the other day. I've tried drinking it a few times, and while the first sip is always good, it then starts to taste chemically. I haven't had too many anejos before, and it's possible that my tongue is confused by the intermingling of agave and barrel, but I'm struggling with it. I may buy a different anejo to compare it to. Has anyone else tried this?

I picked up a Gran Dovejo K&L exclusive single barrel anejo the other day. I've tried drinking it a few times, and while the first sip is always good, it then starts to taste chemically. I haven't had too many anejos before, and it's possible that my tongue is confused by the intermingling of agave and barrel, but I'm struggling with it. I may buy a different anejo to compare it to. Has anyone else tried this?

If you're in the SF area, get some Don Pilar añejo at Costco or another store. Great tequila for $40 or less. I really like Gran Dovejo as well and I know that it generally has a big cinnamon note. I'm not sure if that manifests as chemical, but interesting to note.

Ha -- I took the plunge on this stuff *because* it was Saz! Last year, I got an ORVW KSBW, liked it of course, and wanted to see if I could pick up any of that flavor in the ORVW Corazon. I'm not certain that I can, but I really like that particular Corazon nonetheless. That led me to try Corazon's regular Anejo, which I wound up not liking much at first, though it is slowly growing on me. It's surprising to me how much these two Corazon Anejos differ.

While I don't much like smooth KSBW, it seems I do like smooth tequila. I'll be hitting my store later today--any reasonably-priced recs on where to go from here?

Tequila can be massively variable from brand to brand. Can you get shipments into Ohio?

Tequila can be massively variable from brand to brand. Can you get shipments into Ohio?

I'm actually a Texan in the DFW area who gets to Mexico occasionally, so my tequila options are pretty open, I imagine. (I also happen to be an Ohioan refugee who returns the "old country" often to visit, hence my frequent posts on Buckeye topics.)