What Bourbon Should I Purchase Today? - Spring/Summer 2012

Rockefeller
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Thought this thread could be in the same spirit as the buy / pass-up threads. Often I find myself faced with two or more tempting whiskey choices to add to the collection, but sadly budgeted myself for only one bottle. Hopefully people can add their 2c to make these either-or decisions easier.

I'll start.

Either:

Parker's Heritage Cognac at $80

or

4R Single Barrel Cask Strength at $60 (K&L bottling)

Those are two really solid choices right there. I'm finding my preferences run more towards the 4R camp -- but having never had the Cognac finish, hard to say.

I've found great liberation in quitting the Pappy hunt. It went from the thrill of the hunt to general fatigue and exhaustion. When it's not fun, I'm out.

So what should I buy --

A handful of Ritt BiB or Redbreast 12 CS?

I agree with Tico and I'm not even a huge fan of the PHC Cognac. Don't get me wrong, I think it's very good, but not one I'm bunkering. The FR SBs I've had from TPS and Binny's range from average to phenomenal. What would prompt me to pick up a PHC over a FR, however, is that in a couple years you'll most likely be able to find a great cask strength bottling of FR, but the PHC Cognac will be gone forever.

The PHCognac it is!

So what should I buy --

Ritt BiB. Seems like the better value and more limited item.

Parker's Heritage Cognac at $80

or

4R Single Barrel Cask Strength at $60 (K&L bottling)

It might depend on the 4R recipe. I tend to prefer the 4R that sit at less than 110pf straight from the barrel, though I imagine if K&L only has one recipe on their shelf, you can bet it's delicious.

I love the PHC Cognac and would definitely encourage you to pick one up if you've not had it yet. 4R will keep rolling out gorgeous bourbon, but when the PHC is gone, it's gone for good.

So what should I buy --

I think we've been through this. Redbreast CS all the way!

Okay, here are two in the same general price range that I've had my eye on but never tried. Should I pick up the: WR Double Oaked OR Rock Hill Farm.

Thanks.

What makes the RHF bottle a decanter? Couldn't I just call the OWA bottle a decanter if i put a glass stopper in it?

What makes the RHF bottle a decanter? Couldn't I just call the OWA bottle a decanter if i put a glass stopper in it?

Anywho, back to David's question. David, you can try the Double Oaked tomorrow at GBS.

As a carry over from the What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today thread, I'm looking at Baker's, Booker's, and KCSB, all significantly marked down. I'm thinking I would like to pick up two out of the three.

I've had Baker's and I like it quite a bit. I haven't tried the other two yet.

As a carry over from the What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today thread, I'm looking at Baker's, Booker's, and KCSB, all significantly marked down. I'm thinking I would like to pick up two out of the three.

I really like all 3, but thanks to SB, when all things are equal I tend to lean towards the higher proof, so I would go with the Bookers and the KCSB if I had to choose 2.

Looking for a change of pace.

WhistlePig for $59 or Bernheim Wheat at about half the price?

Whistlepig, hands down. It is a good whiskey and that is a good price.

I haven't had a chance to try WP but I'd be more tempted to get it at that price. That being said I have the Bernheim and I like it a lot myself. It's been a while but I recall it having a real fruity taste, like banana. The price when I picked it up was only $35 but they recently bumped it up to $41, I won't be paying that much for it, but I'd get another at the $30 to $35 range.

Went with a WP. Figured the original release from Canadian stock was more limited.

I'd go with the Baker's and the Booker's myself. The KCSB just didn't trip my trigger.

Four Roses 2011 LE Single Barrel vs Four Roses 2011 LE Small Batch.

They are both the same price. I'd naturally lean toward the one that's higher proof, but I've read differing opinions of both of these and now I'm confused.

Four Roses 2011 LE Single Barrel vs Four Roses 2011 LE Small Batch.

They are both the same price. I'd naturally lean toward the one that's higher proof, but I've read differing opinions of both of these and now I'm confused.

The 1B is a thick, heavy rainbow jolly rancher that takes a few months to really open up. The SmB is a tantalizing seductress of honey, melon and wood. I'd have to give it to the SmB for being a bit more accessible. If you want something to sit open on your bar for a few months, go with the 1B, but if you want instant gratification, go with the SmB.

Buy one you haven't tried. If you like it, buy more and put them away. Then, move onto the next. Repeat.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.