What Bourbon Should I Purchase Today? - Spring/Summer 2012

Rockefeller
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

One thing I'll say for BarrelChar, for a guy with only 70 posts, I'd say most of us have read every one of them.

One thing I'll say for BarrelChar, for a guy with only 70 posts, I'd say most of us have read every one of them.

He'd have more posts if the Russians hadn't censored certain threads. :shithappens:

On topic - What does the crowd say about Noah's Mill vs. Rowan's Creek? :slappin:

My current recommendations are here.

Interestingly, that post has received a lot of hits, several times more than the posts around it. How to interpret that? One way would be that many people are more interested in simply being told what to do than they are in taking the time, and doing the work, to learn about something so they can make their own selections.

I agree that taking recommendations can be a shortcut (that doesn't always work) but what are you to do when you breeze into a liquor store and see all these bottles staring back at you? Some would ask the salesman "what's good?" Others will look online for a score or a thumbs up. The obvious choice is to start with something that at least on other person recommends. Not everyone buys 50-100 bottles of whiskey a year like the crazies on this board (myself included)

As far as people preferring to be told what to do... I agree with chuck as well. They do! in all things luxury at least. hence the popularity of name brand things (levi's, gucci, nike, louis vitton, etc) people don't normally go out and learn about the quality and craftmanship of jeans before they buy a pair. or who stopped making which jeans when, and which ones come from China etc, they just buy the pair that suits their price and has a good reccomendation or shelf appeal. we can't expect the public to do more than that on all things they buy. People buy crappy coffee all day long at starcrooks. If people knew the quality they were getting for the price i believe most would make other choices. So i think chucks point makes sense and i don't think anything he has said should be considered inflammatory. That is just silly.:lol:

A certain version of OF Birthday Bourbon was described by same as tasting like diaper, many followed suit, I personally found it to be one of the best unique OFBB releases.

Geez Christian, I thought I was the only one who liked the '09 OFBB :grin:

Gary

Buy one you haven't tried. If you like it, buy more and put them away. Then, move onto the next. Repeat.

That's my philosophy right there. Try stuff as much as possible and when it really hits the spot...fill up the bunker.

It's interesting how an experienced palate can give you renewed appreciation for both high-end and bargain whiskey. Cowdery's remark had to do with the Google search function and how drinkers wanting quick access to informative opinions have easy short cuts at their fingertips. Add the whiskey speculation boom, and a post like his might be a holy grail.

Sure, Cowdery blusters, but that's no reason for BarrelChar to bitch. Those of us who care enough to read these pages find a rich context for bourbon and American whiskey, and that context is a big part of how we enjoy our juice.

And I don't come here for bitchiness. If somebody wants a word with someone else, there's a PM function for that, keep it out of the conversation.

I like this thread, it's a great catch-all for the sprinkles of threads dedicated to one particular comparison at a time, so it's very relevant.

He'd have more posts if the Russians hadn't censored certain threads. :shithappens:

On topic - What does the crowd say about Noah's Mill vs. Rowan's Creek? :slappin:

If you have a problem with the moderators or the decision to kill certain threads then man up and contact them directly to lodge your protest. Jim and his volunteers are all available via PM.

In the interim, do us all a favor and drop the passive-aggressive Russian schtick. It only adds to the recent surge of negativity.

If you have a problem with the moderators or the decision to kill certain threads then man up and contact them directly to lodge your protest. Jim and his volunteers are all available via PM.

In the interim, do us all a favor and drop the passive-aggressive Russian schtick. It only adds to the recent surge of negativity.

This message seems like a perfect candidate for PM. I wonder why you opted not to use it.

And I am majority German, part youdonwannapissoffanian.

Just for the record, I'm Irish, not Russian. :thankyousign:

If you have any questions check this link.

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17704

Thanks, Joe

No questions. I've read the rules plenty of times in the year I've been a member. I have the right to post humorous (to me, at least) commentary on the moderation of the boards. The mods have the right to remove that content. Any user has the right to challenge my humor. Mods have the right to remove that content, too.

And since no one took the bait to get this thread back on topic, I'll try again. I was serious the first time I asked, and I'm serious this time. What does the crowd think about Noah's Mill vs. Rowan's Creek?

Many of the posts here attempt to validate the notion that "unless you read as much about whiskey as I do, you're taking shortcuts and just want to be told what to do." Reading a "Bourbons to Buy Now" list is not much different than reading a review. It part of the education process. It doesn't make the reader a lemming, and it certainly doesn't justify implying so on an advice-seeking thread entitled "What Bourbon Should I Purchase Today?" Questioning such comments isn't a a personal attack or breach in decorum.

This debate reminds me of a thread a while back where a guy asked for a list of "Best Dusties." Rather than just help him out and post a link to previous posts, some users viciously attacked him for failing to read every thread and having the audacity to ask such a duplicative question. We were all beginners at one point. There's no reason to dump on newcomers who don't spend hours a day to studying the minutiae. Bourbon is rapidly expanding and we ought to welcome enthusiasts of all kinds, even if they make mistakes with message board rules or only buy a few bottles a year.

Some people love whiskey but aren't going to peruse the threads of Straightbourbon, subscribe to Malt Advocate, join whiskey societies, trade bottles or try everything at the bar. Most people have limited budgets and don't enjoy a constant stream of free samples from the industry. To suggest they "want to be told what to do" displays a kind of attitude that's just not necessary or helpful. Plenty of people read "Car & Driver's Ten Best" list but don't subscribe to the magazine or know how to fix a carburetor. That doesn't make them worthy of derision.

When Sku releases his "whiskeys of the year" list, I read it--not because it's a shortcut--but to help prioritize my purchases using the top picks from somebody with a great palate. Maybe some people will only read that article and none of his other reviews. So what? Is that worse than the guy who just buys Beam Black every time and never reads a word about whiskey, or the guy who's memorized each of the percentages in the ten Four Roses mashbills?

We ought to be happy people are reading these articles, not mocking their methods of information acquisition as insufficient. Also, that original article was about discontinued/soon-to-be-limited whiskeys to start hoarding, so even if you'd already tried Wild Turkey 101, you might be interested in an article like that. That, as much as anything, could help explain the increased traffic.

Oh, and by the way, what bourbon should I purchase today? 2012 Four Roses LE 1B or SB?

Is it me or do you just try and argue both sides? Some doesn't have time to do the research yet they don't want to be told what to drink/buy? Pick a side for gods sake or shorten your thoughts as your getting lost in your own argument! Are you by chance in politics? ;)

Oh, and by the way, what bourbon should I purchase today? 2012 Four Roses LE 1B or SB?
Has the 2012 hit the shelves already?

I don't think so Gus...I think they rollout the LE SB around the time of the sampler IIRC!

And since no one took the bait to get this thread back on topic, I'll try again. I was serious the first time I asked, and I'm serious this time. What does the crowd think about Noah's Mill vs. Rowan's Creek?

I think I'm in the minority here, but I'm not a big fan of Noah's Mill - it always tastes hot to me. It the only bourbon to which I will ALWAYS add ice instead of water. I've tried the 15 year and the NAS...this bourbon just doesn't do it for me.

I've seen it in Atlanta, Gus. Haven't picked one up yet though.

I think I'm in the minority here, but I'm not a big fan of Noah's Mill - it always tastes hot to me. It the only bourbon to which I will ALWAYS add ice instead of water. I've tried the 15 year and the NAS...this bourbon just doesn't do it for me.

I picked up both and tried them. I didn't get excessive heat from Noah's Mill, but certainly this bottle was over-oaked. Rowan's Creek was...run of the mill. :slappin:

I liked Noah's Mill. It was full of oak, but for a 15 year, that should be expected to an extent. I thought it had a really rich aspect to it that almost made it chewy. It was a nice change of pace. I like the 4R ones with a bit more fruit/spice taste, but I thought NM was decent.

I picked up both and tried them. I didn't get excessive heat from Noah's Mill, but certainly this bottle was over-oaked. Rowan's Creek was...run of the mill. :slappin:
I liked Noah's Mill. It was full of oak, but for a 15 year, that should be expected to an extent. I thought it had a really rich aspect to it that almost made it chewy. It was a nice change of pace. I like the 4R ones with a bit more fruit/spice taste, but I thought NM was decent.

My current bottle of NM has been open for quote some time (NAS version) so I'll give this one a try again in the near future. Maybe it will finally hit the spot for me.

I liked both when I first tried them but have tired of them quickly. I can only get them when I go to KY. No more are coming home with me.

So, I was on my way to the train last night (Penn Station) and I stopped in the liquor store next to track 16. I noticed they had 2 of the bourbons for sale that are on my list to try.

Elijah Craig 12yo or Buffalo Trace

They are pretty close in price at this store $26 and $30. I have never tried either of these.

Thanks in advance

Dave

So, I was on my way to the train last night (Penn Station) and I stopped in the liquor store next to track 16. I noticed they had 2 of the bourbons for sale that are on my list to try.

Elijah Craig 12yo or Buffalo Trace

They are pretty close in price at this store $26 and $30. I have never tried either of these.

Thanks in advance

Dave

I like both of these, although I like EC12 better.

EC12, in my view, is fairly sweet but not cloying. I get cherries and raisins It almost has a liqueur quality to it. Standard BT is a much younger whiskey but is pretty good. It has a bit of a smoky, charred taste and I get a coconut/banana note.

EC 12 by a country mile. It's a well-integrated mix of sweet vanilla, dried fruit and oak; a solid value that tastes good from the first pour and gets better over time.

Buffalo Trace is one-dimensional, sour and decidedly bottom-shelf for something aged around 9 years. It gets even worse after the bottle has been opened for a while.

I'll be the odd man here and say BT but only by a nose. EC12 is a little to hit or miss, for me, and I only buy it when it's on sale. That said, I don't keep BT on hand, either, but the one bottle I had, I really liked.

I think as a general rule I prefer the profile of EC12, though. So I'm going to disagree with myself:rolleyes: and recommend EC12.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.