What Bourbon Should I Purchase Today? - Spring/Summer 2012

Rockefeller
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I haven't seen any at that price but if they're still out there I would amend my recommendation.

Speaking of PHC...

Celebrating some good news, so I thought I might pick up a bottle I wouldn't normally buy. I haven't tried either of these, but I've enjoyed PHC Wheated edition, as well as PWV20.

PHC 27 - $140

PVW23 - $225

Vintage 17 + PHC Congnac - $145

Trey

Speaking of PHC...

Celebrating some good news, so I thought I might pick up a bottle I wouldn't normally buy. I haven't tried either of these, but I've enjoyed PHC Wheated edition, as well as PWV20.

PHC 27 - $140

PVW23 - $225

Trey

Speaking of PHC...

PHC 27 - $140

PVW23 - $225

Trey

Speaking of PHC...

PHC 27 - $140

PVW23 - $225

Trey

I would do the Vintage 17 and Congac. Both very nice bourbons but quite different. The PHC 27 is a fantastic price. Lowest I have seen is $199. I think think the two for same price is ye best option.

PHC 27 is the better value, V17 and PHC Cognac is what I'd rather drink.

AFAIC, the Vintage 17 is not celebration worthy. I'd go with the PHC 27.

The vintage 17 is good, but not in league with the others. Your prices are fantastic! 25-35% less than what I can do. I'd buy them ALL at those prices and skip a round of golf this month!

Speaking of PHC...

PHC 27 - $140

PVW23 - $225

Trey

I haven't had any of the above, but that is a fantastic price on the PHC 27.

I bought this WT today and there are about 6 more at this shop. Should I get the others for $25 each? I think it's from 1984. I'm not a WT fan but maybe I could trade them.

What do you think?

There are a few other dusties too but they are behind plexi and the guy isn't about to let me in.

post-7144-14489817892306_thumb.jpg

This weekend, while in Ky. for the sampler/gazebo/cookout, I bought some Early Times 354 bourbon to compare to a 1980 bottle of same that I have. Also bought a bottle of E.H. Taylor tornado bourbon!

Thomas

I bought this WT today and there are about 6 more at this shop. Should I get the others for $25 each? I think it's from 1984. I'm not a WT fan but maybe I could trade them.

What do you think?

There are a few other dusties too but they are behind plexi and the guy isn't about to let me in.

Hidden

Alright, I guess I'll share my pick-ups from Sampler weekend. I feel very fortunate to live in the land of Binny's, and have gathered over the last year or so that I've been on these boards that Binny's affords the Chicago area one of the best markets for whiskey (or perhaps alcohol in general) in the US if not the world. So although I like shopping for liquor wherever I am, it's rare that it's a step up from my everyday.

Well I found some nice ones in Bardstown and, later, Louisville. In Bardstown I picked up a CEHT Tornado for $68, which while better than the $75 I got it for at Binny's, is still above what I consider its value. Still, the bottle I've already had was very tasty, and I'm interested in trying one from a different distributor that may be from a different batch. I also feasted upon a FRLE1B '12 for $75 vs. the $80 Binny's commands (not to mention the almost 10% tax rate around here), and I'll also note that I haven't even seen this on the shelves quite yet. I'm sure it's due soon, but I figured it made sense to get a jump on it for cheaper than I'll ever find it here anyway.

Rounding out Bardstown were two bottles of HH BiB 6yo for around $10 each. I've read quite good things about this bottling. I'm very interested in experiencing more of what the HH profile has to offer, so I figured I'm in for a $10 experiment, and I might as well pick up a back-up should I like it, as it's not available in Chicago as far as I know.

I'll mention here also that I picked up 2 bottles from the FR gift shop, both 17yo OBSVs. There were two barrels (#8 and #9 since last November) available so I got one of each. I've sampled both, and it may go without saying, but they are more than worth their $57 price tag. MUCH more.

In Louisville I couldn't resist a bottle of WTR101 (it's disappeared from my regular Binny's shelves and from most shelves in Chicago in general) for $20 and I sprung for a Liquor Barn barrel of EC18 barreled 5/30/90 because it was barreled in the same month as one of my favorite 1B ever, the Binny's EC18 5/15/92. After the Gazebo my open bottle bar is too, too full to open another bottle, so I'll have to wait to clear out one or two before I crack this one, but I'm chomping at the bit!

Pappy Van 15 Year - Last bottle at Surdyks in Minneapolis!

I'd say buy it! :lol:

Should I buy the 2009, 2010, or 2011 Sazerac 18 for $99?

Or are any of them worth it? I've read a lot lately on how the flavor tapers off rapidly.

Or are any of them worth it? I've read a lot lately on how the flavor tapers off rapidly.

$99 is a bit high so I would go with the oldest...2009

I would say yes. I haven't had the '09, but the '10 and '11 are gorgeous. I might give the 2011 the edge.

They do tend to taper off rather quickly, but we're talking months, not weeks. Drink it over 6 weeks or so, and it should sing the entire time.

I wrote a review of the 2011 if you're interested - you can find it through my blog link below.

• 2 weeks later...

Bernheim Wheat for $27.99, Dickel Barrel Select for $32.99, Rowan's Creek for $38.99 or Rock Hill Farms for $39.99?

Bernheim Wheat for $27.99, Dickel Barrel Select for $32.99, Rowan's Creek for $38.99 or Rock Hill Farms for $39.99?

I'd go with RHF, though I've never had it (just about the only BT bourbon I have yet to taste).

I'd also go with RHF because it's the only one if those I like at all, and that is about $7-8 cheaper than it is locally.

WR on sale for $30

Blanton's from '07 for $52

OWA 7/107 (handle) from '00 for $40

THH for $65

EWSB '94/'95 $28

WTKS '02 for $40

Which ONE would you pick and why?

WTKS.... because I've only ever had one pour of it. Ohio sucks.:smiley_acbt:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.