Rum Forum

Bmac
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

While visiting the Miami Rum Fest it was clear that the classifications of the Rum being judged were senseless and in fact were probably completely driven by marketing departments of large manufacturers. Wouldn't you think that classifying any Rum that has something added as Flavored Rum accurate? So any Rum with sugar added would be classified as a flavored Rum.

Thank you for this. I am really hoping that more people start pressing these distillers/producers to start producing pure product. The fact of the matter is, the lay person thinks sugar cane is used to produce rum. Therefore, the product must be sweet. Of course this can't be further from the truth as well all know. Now, if you want to make a product that is sweetened, by all means, do so, but put it on your label. Some of these "super premium" rums sell for well over $100+. Who wants to pay that much for what amounts to nothing more than a liqueur?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

I was wondering what your experiences were, if any, of taking 151 overproof rums on planes. The official rule is anything over 75% alcohol (what an inconvenient limit! Agh!) gets confiscated by the TSA.

In practice, do they notice? Has anyone here got any success or horror stories of them either not caring about your overproofs, or them taking it all?

I've got a bunch of overproof bottles that need to make it to the UK from the US.

Hey guys,

I was wondering what your experiences were, if any, of taking 151 overproof rums on planes. The official rule is anything over 75% alcohol (what an inconvenient limit! Agh!) gets confiscated by the TSA.

In practice, do they notice? Has anyone here got any success or horror stories of them either not caring about your overproofs, or them taking it all?

I've got a bunch of overproof bottles that need to make it to the UK from the US.

Don't know that I have ever taken one but unless they are looking I would be surprised if they noticed. I presume they are going in checked luggage? The only thing that might draw attention would be if you had a lot of bottles in one suitcase. Could always rebottle it in a bottle with lower proof on the label I suppose unless the bottle was important for some reason.

Yes, the rebottling is an option but I was hoping it wouldn't come to that.

They would be in checked luggage.

I struggle to imagine them checking the proof on each bottle they find - I think they're more looking for seals on bottled liquids.

I'd probably bring 3 at a time, since bringing 3 bottles into the UK is pretty standard.

Yes, the rebottling is an option but I was hoping it wouldn't come to that.

They would be in checked luggage.

I struggle to imagine them checking the proof on each bottle they find - I think they're more looking for seals on bottled liquids.

I'd probably bring 3 at a time, since bringing 3 bottles into the UK is pretty standard.

I guess there is only one way to find out!

I guess there is only one way to find out!

I suppose you're right. I'll report back on this issue in July.

I suppose you're right. I'll report back on this issue in July.

So tell us, what bottles are you taking on your excursion?

So tell us, what bottles are you taking on your excursion?

Just some of the new Hamilton Demerara 151. I'm going to start learning some classic tiki cocktails over in the UK. I have some of the older (not the good one) Mosaiq Lemon Hart 151 reproduction as well. I might try that first, in case they do in fact get confiscated.

Ron Abuelo 7 last night after dinner. Nice stuff for the price. I kinda dig the bottle too which has an understated elegance to it. In a side by side tasting, it mopped the floor with Flor de Cana 7 which I find thin and disappointing.

Its been a long winter, and a crappy spring, so finally on a very nice Saturday, mojito ingredients were brought out. Ventured into something new, and used a "local" agricole blanc, from 11 Wells, Maelstrom Rhum.

I know, a agricole from Minnesota, how can that be? Well, it is, by a large stretch I may add, but it's works ok.

Nose falls short of Rhum JM, and it's a bit harsh at first open, but settles out in the glass upon additional ingredients, has that agricole funk to it that lets you know it's not Bacardi.

Still better than most whites.

B

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody try the Smooth Ambler Revelation Rum yet?? I saw this at Binny's today and it spoke to me to bring it home.

Doesn't seem to be much out on it yet, but I'm a sucker for the aged and different. I figure if they can pick some pretty good barrel on the whiskey side, they likely will do the same for this.

B

Anybody try the Smooth Ambler Revelation Rum yet?? I saw this at Binny's today and it spoke to me to bring it home.

Doesn't seem to be much out on it yet, but I'm a sucker for the aged and different. I figure if they can pick some pretty good barrel on the whiskey side, they likely will do the same for this.

B

I've had it and loved it. You will like it. It's a bourbon drinkers rum for sure

B

If you read back a few pages, I believe I posted at least one set of tasting notes. Bottom line: it's great. I love it. Ideally I'd like to branch out to other non messed with rums, but if I can't, more bottles of this will do in a pinch.

If you read back a few pages, I believe I posted at least one set of tasting notes. Bottom line: it's great. I love it. Ideally I'd like to branch out to other non messed with rums, but if I can't, more bottles of this will do in a pinch.

Found it. Appreciate the top.

B

The Revelation from SA is the best Jamacian I have had that is available in the US.

Gotta like a bit of pot still funk to appreciate it. Digging the Cockspur 12, Mount Gay Black Barrel and the Clement 10 just lately. Also thinking the Clement Vieux Agricole Select Barrel is an absolutely great bottle for the price.

This is the Agricole line up from a recent Rum tasting we had here.

post-4064-14489822422153_thumb.jpg

No clear winner from the agricole line up. All the Clement's were popular with a couple people favoring the 6yr over all the others. Others preferred the 10 or the single cask. The Macouba and Mangustan are both worthy although neither was picked on top by anyone, they were always near the top. It all comes down to how much you like the wood influence against the grassy, earthy note of a young agricole.

Bough my first bottle of rum after trying the El dorado 12 year at a rum bar in town. The el dorado 12 was hard to find in the Cleveland area. Had to order online. Was eying up the el dorado 15 and 21 but decided to explore more of the 12.

Cheers!

I recently picked up a dusty Cruzan Single Barrel Estate bottle. It's the older bottling/label which looks like a wine bottle.

This one has a bottle number of 68193, handwritten barrel number 85244. I can't find any info on these numbers online.. does anyone have a clue of age? Post-2000 for sure since it has a "2000 World's Best Rum" sticker on it...

Maybe I have to contact Cruzan directly. Thanks in advance!

• 2 weeks later...

Noticed that there was now a 23yo Kirk & Sweeney rum on the shelf as well as an 18yo in addition to the original 12yo. The 23yo was under $50 as I recall. Doesn't seem to be much publicity about it though. The original 12yo was sourced from Bermudez in the Dominican Republic and was decent if a pit pricey and packaged in a swanky bottle as most products from 35 Maple Street (Masterson's rye, Bib n Tucker bourbon) seem to be. Claims to be a full 23 years and almost certainly has some coloring (and probably sugar) added.

I would be curious to know if this is also from Bermudez. it says Santiago de los Caballeros on the bottle like the 12yo which is where Bermudez distillery is located so presumably so. Sadly it is bottled at a heavily watered down 80 proof like most rums.

http://www.35maplestreet.com/spirits/kirk-and-sweeney-rum-18/

http://www.35maplestreet.com/spirits/kirk-and-sweeney-rum-23/

Nothing really noteworthy on the website.

Might be time for a blind tasting with the sugar daddy line from El Dorado!

interesting. Thread doesn't seem to want to go to the last page so I can view and check the post I just made.

And with the edition of this post now it does.

I feel ignorant for asking but in last Sunday's paper there was an article about "craft" rums from Louisiana gaining a foothold in several states. I apologize that I can't find the names that I jotted down but I am curious as to whether or not any of y'all have tried them and if so would you recommend them?

I feel ignorant for asking but in last Sunday's paper there was an article about "craft" rums from Louisiana gaining a foothold in several states. I apologize that I can't find the names that I jotted down but I am curious as to whether or not any of y'all have tried them and if so would you recommend them?

I know of the Old New Orleans distillery which makes a white, 3yo and spiced rum but have never had any of them. Wasn't aware Louisiana was a big rum producer but certainly could be.

There are a few down there. Here is an article about them. http://www.countryroadsmagazine.com/cuisine/regional-cuisine/south-louisiana-s-craft-distillery-boom

http://bayourum.com/rums/

http://www.dpdspirits.com/home/

http://oldneworleansrum.com/

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.