New TPS Bowman

Old Lamplighter
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I stopped by the distillery earlier in the week and was told the new batch of Abraham Bowman should be released approximately June 1st. 17 years old and 140 proof (bourbon).

The lady I talked to said it would be at the gift shop and in VA ABC stores. I didn't ask about TPS or other distribution points, sorry. When I go back to get the new bottles in a week or 2 I'll ask and let everyone know

I stopped by the distillery earlier in the week and was told the new batch of Abraham Bowman should be released approximately June 1st. 17 years old and 140 proof (bourbon).

Got mine last weekend but can't bring myself to open one yet. In the last year or so, it seems that once a bottle is opened, it's life expectancy is of a decreasing nature.

Got mine last weekend but can't bring myself to open one yet. In the last year or so, it seems that once a bottle is opened, it's life expectancy is of a decreasing nature.

When that happens I suspect there's a leak in the bottle!

When that happens I suspect there's a leak in the bottle!

Yup, usually you can spot it right near the top where the cork should be. I find placing a generously-sized glass underneath to catch the leak works well for me. When the glass gets full though, you need to empty it to make more room.

So preliminary consensus so far is that the 1994/17yr is "HOT" but what about the 1993/18-19yr?

So preliminary consensus so far is that the 1994/17yr is "HOT" but what about the 1993/18-19yr?

The 1993 is HOT also. I hope they both just need a little time, or maybe this is the one I finally cut with a little water.

The 1993 is HOT also. I hope they both just need a little time, or maybe this is the one I finally cut with a little water.

I tried the 17 year on Thursday, after being open for two weeks with about 1/6 of the bottle empty. I cut it down to about 50% and it still was blazing hot. I think it's a combo of the "off" alcohols like isopropanol and the extreme astringency from the wood. Maybe it's mostly the wood, I don't know, but man, that thing is a beast.

My first pour of Barrel #11 was extremely hot, even after cutting. But, I didn't measure the water and didn't wait very long. My second pour I cut by 1/3 - 2:1, then let it sit 30-40 minutes before drinking. It was still warm, but greatly improved. A lot of dark fruit.

I definitely agree that the 17 year is a bit hot and astringent, but I like the 19 year quite a lot. I found that when I add much water it brings out more of the wood (too much wood) so I drink it at or near barrel proof with very, very small sips. As Clingman mentioned, lots of dark fruit and the wood isn't overbearing.

Of the Abe Bowman bourbon I've had I'd rank them 1) Gift Shop 18 2) TPS 19 ...bit of a gap... 3) TPS 17

Tasting the 1993 as I type. This is a beautiful bourbon. Nose is full of vanilla and molassis. Initial taste is a little hot. Let your mouth get adjusted to the higher proof and the next taste is a vanilla explosion followed by cream and brown sugar. Awesome vanilla finish that lasts. I hate I only have on bottle of this!

Thx for all the feedback - makes me wish I'd gotten a bottle of the 1993.

I am thinking of letting my 1994 bottle sit uncorked for a while and see if that makes a difference.

The 18 yr 138.6 is great at barrel proof IMO. I didn't find it to be hot at all. I found it be very approachable, and thus potentially dangerous. :cool: It's one of the best barrel proofers I've had in quite some time. I have only had about 60mls of TPS 19yr. I found it to be considerably hot, even with a few drops of water added. In all fairness though... A few more pours may be needed to offer a more conclusive opinion. As I don't have a bottle... I will have to call in a favor. :lol:

Okay, I watered down the 17 year to 52% and let it sit for about 2 hours. Most of the heat was gone after that long in the glass. It tasted, as Clingman had mentioned, like dark fruits. I also got cinnamon and cedar wood, like I do with WTRB, and also a super-sweetness that tasted artificial, like Splenda, or maybe natural like stevia. At any rate, while it actually was pretty decent, IN NO WAY was it worth the money to me. I'd rather have bought 2 FRSB and a gyro wrap.

Just got back from the Distillery with a couple of bottles of the 3rd release of Abraham Bowman. Its 17.5 year old bourbon at 147.5 proof. I'll open one this weekend and post some tasting notes. Bottles have been sent to Virginia ABC stores so should start showing up there soon.

Just got back from the Distillery with a couple of bottles of the 3rd release of Abraham Bowman. Its 17.5 year old bourbon at 147.5 proof. I'll open one this weekend and post some tasting notes. Bottles have been sent to Virginia ABC stores so should start showing up there soon.

That is a lot of proof...... assume it is a small batch as was last years....

That is a lot of proof...... assume it is a small batch as was last years....

It is a small batch. I was also told that of the Abraham Bowman currently floating around, this small batch (unsurprisingly) most closely resembles the TPS 17 year.

I am headed for my 2nd dance with TPS Bowman 19 tonight. Getting warmed up with a manhattan.

Opened the 17. Every time i drink it neat or with water my mouth goes numb. Novocain!

A cube of ice mitigates the heat. Depending on the size of the cube ill pull it out after the whiskey comes down a few degrees and takes on some water.

The dialogue here is supporting my own experience with the Bowman bourbons , and is leading me to think that they don't age particularly well. Some private selection barrels I've tasted of the Bowman Brothers that were 8 yrs are extremely good, and far better than the older John J Bowmans I have tried. The hotness that many experience with the barrel proofs is also evident in the 100 proof regular version of the older JJB. I'm thinking that there is a drop-off in drinkability as the age increases.

The dialogue here is supporting my own experience with the Bowman bourbons , and is leading me to think that they don't age particularly well. Some private selection barrels I've tasted of the Bowman Brothers that were 8 yrs are extremely good, and far better than the older John J Bowmans I have tried. The hotness that many experience with the barrel proofs is also evident in the 100 proof regular version of the older JJB. I'm thinking that there is a drop-off in drinkability as the age increases.

I didn't find the gift shop version to be hot right out of the bottle, or a 100 proof 14 year old I have open. I definitely found the party source barrel #1 to be hot. I had to let it sit for a couple months and then dilute a large batch down to 115 proof. It drinks beautifully now. Might just take some tinkering if you don't mind doing the homework. Although, your experience with the 100 proof would suggest otherwise.

So, I did a taste of the 19 year tonight with a mini ice cube, heat was gone and the flavors were solid. No idea what proof I cut it back to, but I quite liked it compared to drinking it neat.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.