New TPS Bowman

Old Lamplighter
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

The 17 year is opening up after a month (or close to it). I had a very, very small sip neat after the early painful encounters, and it's a lot softer. I swear I got seeded blackberry preserves. Nice to meet you in a more civil state, Mr. Bowman!

That's encouraging! Have too many bottles open but my 17 is on deck.

Open about a month prior to your first pour

Finally got around to popping open the new 17 year release at 147 proof. I compared it to the second release (138 proof and 18 years) as I had a bottle thats been open for a couple of months. I had them side by side both neat and on the rocks. The new one neat is a little powerful for me, the alcohol burn really comes through and overpowers a little bit. The nose definitely has big fruitiness to it. On the rocks it flows a little easier and has a nice oakiness with somegood fruit in it. A very long finish. Excellent stuff! That said when I had the 18 year that had been open for awhile it was incredible. It has really mellowed some and had an enormous dark fruit taste to it. Big and bold with a long finish as well. Amazing what a little air time did to this one. I love both of these and can't wait for the new release to sit open for a month or so to see how it changes as well.

Exceptional bourbons to my palate!

Finally got around to popping open the new 17 year release at 147 proof. I compared it to the second release (138 proof and 18 years) as I had a bottle thats been open for a couple of months. I had them side by side both neat and on the rocks. The new one neat is a little powerful for me, the alcohol burn really comes through and overpowers a little bit. The nose definitely has big fruitiness to it. On the rocks it flows a little easier and has a nice oakiness with somegood fruit in it. A very long finish. Excellent stuff! That said when I had the 18 year that had been open for awhile it was incredible. It has really mellowed some and had an enormous dark fruit taste to it. Big and bold with a long finish as well. Amazing what a little air time did to this one. I love both of these and can't wait for the new release to sit open for a month or so to see how it changes as well.

Exceptional bourbons to my palate!

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone else pop open their John J Bowman 100 proof yet? I got mine in the mail today and couldn't resist. This is TPS barrel 45. It's great from the first pour. It's got a fantastic oaky nose and a nice balanced sweetness to it.

Anyone else pop open their John J Bowman 100 proof yet? I got mine in the mail today and couldn't resist. This is TPS barrel 45. It's great from the first pour. It's got a fantastic oaky nose and a nice balanced sweetness to it.

John J Bowman 1B is readily available by me and its a regular pour because its so good. I got both a barrel 45 and barrel 51 as I'd never tried 2 distinct barrels side by side to see the difference. Both are very good. The 45 has a longer finish and a little more dark fruit flavors whereas the 51 has more rye spiciness in the finish and a little less fruit. Definitely within the goalposts of the same flavor profile but still pretty cool to taste the differences in barrels one after the other

I've been really enjoying the TPS 17. Papaya, rum, and wet leather with a nutmeg and white pepper spice.

• 1 month later...

Anyone got a chance to try either or both of the newer JJ Bowman barrels 45 & 51 from TPS? I have not sprung for any as of yet. Supply seems ample at present to wait a bit and hopefully get a review prior to laying out the $$.

Anyone got a chance to try either or both of the newer JJ Bowman barrels 45 & 51 from TPS? I have not sprung for any as of yet. Supply seems ample at present to wait a bit and hopefully get a review prior to laying out the $$.

Sorry, I'm not capable of complete break down of flavors of an experienced palate. But I will say this: I've killed a bottle of barrel 45, and it is a sweet, smoky, oakey deliciousness. Will definitely buy another bottle or 2

Drinking a 51 right now. If I had to only have 1 I would go with the 45. But it's too much fun to have em both. I'll be getting 2 more 45's and 1 more 51's

Number 45: nose is big time maple syrup, sweet bacon& banana. Favors are cinnamon, vanilla, Burned orange, brown sugar, caramel, chocolate. Stil hot but worth the impact

Edited by Restaurant man

Barrel 51: nose comes off with lots of spice and heat, cedar cigar box + little bit of fruit. flavors are clove, tobacco, cinnamon, cardamom, dark stewed cherries, it's hot for sure but in a totally acceptable way

I love barrel 45. It's been one of my favorite bourbons this year so i bought 2 more for the bunker. I never had the cask strength Bowmans, it may pale compared to those, but it's pretty great for a 100 proofer imo. I love the balance between the sweetness and just the right amount of heat/spice. It's up my alley I guess.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.