Gin forum

spence21989
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

If you are of an "adventurous" nature :cool: then you might want to consider trying genever to make an "original" Tom Collins!

http://cocktailvirgin.blogspot.com/2009/08/original-collins.html

Geoff at Drink Spirits also wrote about it.

http://www.drinkspirits.com/genever/exploring-genever-bols-genever/

I rather prefer them to the typical Tom Collins. I suggest starting with Bols genever which is generally pretty available and I think quite good.

Oh, yeah. I'll concur. That Drink Spirits recipe is wonderful. As an alternative to the Bols genever, we have used the Bols Damrak when we get Meyer lemons. Oooh, I'm looking forward to Summer already. For sparkling water, we use Apollinaris or Poland Springs or Fever Tree in that order.

Just had the pleasure to open and taste a brand new bottle of Gin that I helped fund.

Four Pillars.

WOW. It will need further tasting, but so far, it will be right up there with the best Gin I have ever tasted. That its locally produced and that they guys who make it are passionate and more than willing to have a chat about it is even better.

• 3 weeks later...

Gotta join this thread. Next to whiskey, gin is my go-to, with a gin and tonic being my staple drink.

My preference is on the dry side, but not too dry. I like a good amount of juniper, but I like variations that have merit.

My current favorite gin is Uncle Val's Lot #15. Has anybody else tried it?

Other great gins I've had are, The Botanist, Junipero, St. George Terroir, Magellan (blue iris gin), Corsair

As for tonic, my current favorite is Q Tonic, followed by Whole Foods 365 brand.

• 1 month later...

Have been having a few Gin and Tonics lately. I am in Australia, and there is great small batch maker called Four Pillars. Highly recommend it if you get the chance to try it.

I know two things about gin, Jack and Squat. That being said, here in Minnesota we have a line of vodka and gin produced with local organic grain called Prairie Organic. I made my wife a few dirty martinis last night with the gin and it was pretty nice.

• 2 weeks later...
Gotta join this thread. Next to whiskey, gin is my go-to, with a gin and tonic being my staple drink.

My preference is on the dry side, but not too dry. I like a good amount of juniper, but I like variations that have merit.

My current favorite gin is Uncle Val's Lot #15. Has anybody else tried it?

Other great gins I've had are, The Botanist, Junipero, St. George Terroir, Magellan (blue iris gin), Corsair

As for tonic, my current favorite is Q Tonic, followed by Whole Foods 365 brand.

I have tried the Uncle Val's, and at present it's my favorite, too!

I haven't gone whole hog with gin investigations yet, but UV's was a huge step up from Hendricks

tbt

Not a fan of Hendricks myself. Nothing wrong with it except the proof, but of course there are a lot of them in that 80ish bracket now. When it comes to gin I draw the line at 94 proof.

• 4 weeks later...
Not a fan of Hendricks myself. Nothing wrong with it except the proof, but of course there are a lot of them in that 80ish bracket now. When it comes to gin I draw the line at 94 proof.

I'll keep more of an eye on the proof as I experiment with gins going forward...

tbt

Bombay Sapphire? I keep it around for emergencies, like when I want gin.

Hendricks works well in a cocktail with parsley. Don't laugh. As I posted elsewhere on SB, after eating roasted garlic at the bar, the bartender passed around bunches of parsley he'd filched from the kitchen - good breath/pallet cleanser. We had some left over. Put some in a shaker, bruised it, added Hendricks & some lemon (not too much) & simple syrup (not too much). Stirred with ice. Served it up with a few bits of parsley floating around. Was better than having Chef yell at us for wasting his parsley. Turned out pretty good.

I'd be interested in knowing what bar you were at, Harry. Sounds like a good bartender.

Picked up a bottle of Blue Coat in Philly. Waiting on my flight home and hoping my bottle survives in checked luggage.

Picked up a bottle of Blue Coat in Philly. Waiting on my flight home and hoping my bottle survives in checked luggage.

Bluecoat is very good, a traditional dry gin with a nice balance of juniper and citrus (maybe heavier on the citrus). Not lacking in proof. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Bluecoat is very good, a traditional dry gin with a nice balance of juniper and citrus (maybe heavier on the citrus). Not lacking in proof. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

I enjoyed a Bluecoat Martini at the bar in Capitol Grille my 3rd night in Philly. I decided to take some of that native spirit home with me. I got a TSA inspection notice in my bag, but no worries. The bottle made it home.

I'd be interested in knowing what bar you were at, Harry. Sounds like a good bartender.

Buck's Fishing @ Camping, Connecticut Ave NW. Jason made it for us (well, we helped), but don't let Chef know we use the parsley in drinks; kitchen'll want a cut. :shocked:

Oh, yeah, in my post above, it should be "palate" not "pallet". We don't clean pallets at the bar.

Edited by Harry in WashDC

• 1 month later...

Have any of you guys tried the Monkey 47? I picked up a bottle recently after it was much hyped at my local store, and it did not disappoint. It's pretty hard to describe in it's entirety, but I will say it's the only gin that I've picked up jasmine, citrus, juniper, dried berries, bay leaf and lemon zest, all in the same sip. I'll let the professionals do the talking, but I'd highly recommend picking up a bottle if you haven't already. Check this out : http://spiritsjournal.klwines.com/klwinescom-spirits-blog/2014/5/6/this-monkeys-gone-to-heaven.html

Very much enjoying the bottle of Leopold Bros. Navy Strength I picked up. Makes a hell of a martini.

Thanks, Happy. I looked right at it and passed even though I like Leopold Bros. products. I will not do that again.

• 1 month later...

A few weeks ago I stumbled across a few dusty bottles of Leyden's gin and an older label Plymouth gin.

From what I could gather on the internet, this stuff is a Dutch gin that came over to the US in the late 90's, and has since been re-branded Van Gogh gin. I later saw a Van Gogh gin at another store across town, but did not buy it.

The Leyden's tastes awesome. I could enjoy it neat. So I'm going to try a Van Gogh soon to see if it is truly the same stuff.

Since I last wrote in this forum I also tried Mayfair, with which I was not impressed, and The Botanist, which I do enjoy.

I have the feeling that Van Gogh may be my new gin of choice. I'll know more in the fall when I get back on land and do some more sipping.

tbt

• 1 month later...

got the martini itch and we had some St. Agur Blue Cheese in the fridge.

figured I'd try a new gin: St. George

Dirty Sue olive juice was made popular on Sex in the City

the gin is pretty good, btw!

give the cheese time to warm up and pull the pimentos

0eda1cf7-f479-49db-89a3-0ba982dad6b2_zpsa7b1d9d2.jpg

chill the shaker and glass. beaker for measuring like Walter White

3258199f-b6e8-4c48-a6ad-01bffcab1752_zpsbff9a3b9.jpg

get dirty stuffing the olives

9562dc61-b002-4314-9237-44820a1473c5_zps131b4e50.jpg

loaded and ready to go

d2b16822-7b24-4f53-ae9f-f0da6f0d8628_zps08bff8c9.jpg

liquid ingredients

11a236ad-763d-4dc3-bc3d-f4c847b5104e_zps70f1c389.jpgfda8732e-86fd-4b55-83c0-e6051232ba0e_zpsd5ea6d86.jpg

cheers!!

8709324a-b9b2-4ddf-8f53-bc09b978ea03_zpsddcadc3f.jpg

I just picked up a bottle this past weekend on the rave review of the owner of the shop.

I agree, it's fantastic stuff.

Made a G&T this evening with Val's Batch 22 (every bit as good as Batch 15) and then made another with Monkey. Monkey wins hands down. Probably the best G&T I've ever had!

Definitely going to have to pick up more of this stuff.

Anyone try Tanqueray Old Tom? I bought a bottle, but have a couple gins already open, so I'll save this one for when I'm down another. Thoughts? How similiar is to Malacca if you've had both

We had a visitor bring some Bluecoat Gin as a gift (he is from PA). It was much more vegetal than I remember it, but was a good change of pace from what I have been drinking lately.

A recent bourbon thread featured Henry du Yore whiskey. Turns out Ransom Spirits, Sheridan, Oregon, makes it. Ransom is more famous for its gins. Last night, because that thread piqued my interest, I ordered a Fitty-Fitty - one oz. Ransom Dry Gin and 1 oz. Ransom Dry Vermouth, some orange bitters and a lemon twist. I knew they made good gin. Now, I know they make good vermouth.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.