Gin forum

spence21989
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

• 4 months later...

Have recently been on Fever Tree tonic. This stuff is seriously good. I normally use Schweppes Indian Tonic which for the price can not be beat (I am in Australia), but Fever Tree is just another step ahead.

Does anyone here use Tonic Syrups? Was thinking of having a dabble with these, or is it too much effort for little reward?

Have recently been on Fever Tree tonic. This stuff is seriously good. I normally use Schweppes Indian Tonic which for the price can not be beat (I am in Australia), but Fever Tree is just another step ahead.

Does anyone here use Tonic Syrups? Was thinking of having a dabble with these, or is it too much effort for little reward?

its not available everywhere here just yet, which is why i might take the plunge on a syrup, or at least try and source a case of Fever Tree. It gets expensive here by the 4-pack.

• 1 year later...

Picked up a bottle of Cutler's Gin which is made in Santa Barbra, CA.  The price was right and the weather is getting nicer, so I couldn't resist.  Anybody tried this before?

• 3 weeks later...

Anybody have a good Tom Collins recipe?  I know it is not a very complicated drink, but, mine never turn out the way I would like.  

Aaron Knoll's theginisin.com blog has one that works for us -

http://theginisin.com/gin-cocktails/the-tom-collins/

There are several comments below the post that are worth reading.  Play around with the amount of sugar and the type and tartness of the lime.  While I like lime, my wife is less enthused so I taste the lime juice before adding it and sometimes replace some of it with fresh lemon juice (Meyer lemons if we can get them) to cut the tartness.  I've also played around with different gins, changing only one variable at a time.  Currently, I'm partial to Leopold's Navy Strength or Green Hat plus well-ripened limes (dark green, not light green).  Quality soda helps, too.  On occasion, I've even used Fever Tree Bitter Lemon soda instead of lemon juice and reduced the lime juice.

• 5 months later...

Recently picked up a bottle of Two James Barrel Aged Old Cockney. Must say it is one of the best sipping gins I've tried.

• 2 months later...

Bluecoat Gin from Philadelphia in a shaker with crushed ice strained into stemless martini glass with olives hand-stuffed with Danish blue cheese.  I took off work yesterday after a grueling couple of weeks.  Grilled a couple of T-bones outside (weather was sunny and in the 70s here) and tried to replicate my last great steakhouse experience right down to the martini starter.  It was a good day!   

• 3 weeks later...
On March 5, 2014 at 6:11 PM, s8ist said:

Gotta join this thread. Next to whiskey, gin is my go-to, with a gin and tonic being my staple drink.

My preference is on the dry side, but not too dry. I like a good amount of juniper, but I like variations that have merit.

My current favorite gin is Uncle Val's Lot #15. Has anybody else tried it?

Other great gins I've had are, The Botanist, Junipero, St. George Terroir, Magellan (blue iris gin), Corsair

As for tonic, my current favorite is Q Tonic, followed by Whole Foods 365 brand.

On March 5, 2014 at 6:11 PM, s8ist said:

Gotta join this thread. Next to whiskey, gin is my go-to, with a gin and tonic being my staple drink.

My preference is on the dry side, but not too dry. I like a good amount of juniper, but I like variations that have merit.

My current favorite gin is Uncle Val's Lot #15. Has anybody else tried it?

Other great gins I've had are, The Botanist, Junipero, St. George Terroir, Magellan (blue iris gin), Corsair

As for tonic, my current favorite is Q Tonic, followed by Whole Foods 365 brand.

On April 25, 2014 at 6:55 AM, The Black Tot said:

I have tried the Uncle Val's, and at present it's my favorite, too!

I haven't gone whole hog with gin investigations yet, but UV's was a huge step up from Hendricks

tbt

Plus 1 for Uncle Val's. It truly is a very special gin.   Also Botanist is my wife's every day go to.  

• 1 month later...

Has anyone tried St. George or Hixson Gin?  A local grocery store has them on clearance for $21 and $15.  I'm primarily a gin and tonic drinker, with the occasional Tom Collins.  With summer approaching I will definitely pick up one of them to try.

2 hours ago, Golzee said:

Has anyone tried St. George or Hixson Gin?  A local grocery store has them on clearance for $21 and $15.  I'm primarily a gin and tonic drinker, with the occasional Tom Collins.  With summer approaching I will definitely pick up one of them to try.

I've followed www.theginisin.com for years.  It's sort of inactive right now (don't know what Aaron Knoll is doing, but he doesn't post weekly reviews like he used to - running out of gins?  I bet he has 200 reviews on there.  Selling his book?  I already own it).  He likes the St. George as do I.  I also like Leopold's, especially the Navy strength.  My basic gin for cocktails is Bombay Sapphire, but I have a half-dozen others I keep on hand depending on the cocktail I want to make.  Speaking of making, I have infused 100 proof vodka (Smirnoff works just fine) with gin-typical botanicals (read Amy Stewart's "The Drunken Botanist" for some choices and check out Jeffrey Morgenthaler's website for some recipes) to craft some of my own.

At $37, you could get both for the price of a 750 of Baker's.  I've also had good luck with local gins.  Wash DC is lucky - Green Hat gin is tasty as well as being reasonably priced. 

10 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

I've followed www.theginisin.com for years.  It's sort of inactive right now (don't know what Aaron Knoll is doing, but he doesn't post weekly reviews like he used to - running out of gins?  I bet he has 200 reviews on there.  Selling his book?  I already own it).  He likes the St. George as do I.  I also like Leopold's, especially the Navy strength.  My basic gin for cocktails is Bombay Sapphire, but I have a half-dozen others I keep on hand depending on the cocktail I want to make.  Speaking of making, I have infused 100 proof vodka (Smirnoff works just fine) with gin-typical botanicals (read Amy Stewart's "The Drunken Botanist" for some choices and check out Jeffrey Morgenthaler's website for some recipes) to craft some of my own.

At $37, you could get both for the price of a 750 of Baker's.  I've also had good luck with local gins.  Wash DC is lucky - Green Hat gin is tasty as well as being reasonably priced. 

Thanks Harry, I do like www.theginisin.com, however, I don't trust reviews that much.  I like hearing from normal drinkers about products.  Bombay Sapphire is my go to as well, so I feel confident that I will enjoy St George.

Recently began experimenting with gin martinis

so far St George dry rye gin dirty martini is my favorite

• 2 weeks later...
On May 17, 2012 at 3:26 AM, spence21989 said:

Any other gin lovers out there? I really enjoy gin and, unlike most microdistilled whiskey, I think that a lot of the microdistilled gins are a great value. Leopold's Gin is a favorite of mine and I have been itching to try their new Navy Strength Gin. Rob's Mtn. Gin is another great local one from Boulder. The gin industry has really been in a boom lately and its fun to see how much the gin shelves at liquor stores have grown.

I'm absolutely a Gin fan - the UK topped 1BN pounds sterling in Gin sales last October - with most of the growth coming from the newer craft brands. London Dry Gin has really taken off with lots of new micro-distilleries not just in England but also in Scotland

On April 6, 2017 at 11:08 AM, Golzee said:

Thanks Harry, I do like www.theginisin.com, however, I don't trust reviews that much.  I like hearing from normal drinkers about products.  Bombay Sapphire is my go to as well, so I feel confident that I will enjoy St George.

I'm a fan of a number of newer craft gins such as Botanist (out of Scotland), Ungava (out of Quebec, Canada) & Sipsmith (out of England). Fevertree has some great bitters to drink alongside these gins - their tonic is not as sweet as North American tonics.

Woody Creek is a fairly new craft distillery out of Colorado. Their gin, 100% potato vodka and 100% rye whiskey are outstanding.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I love gin, the St. George Dry Rye Reposado is a great bridge between Gin and Whiskey

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

In the past, I really enjoyed a nice G&T, my go to was Sapphire then I migrated to Hendricks.  I recently had a conversation with a client and he was mentioning a new Gin that he was really enjoying, Leopold if I recall correctly.  This conversation has my interest and I stumbled upon this thread.  

For my first bottle i am Thinking St. George Terrior or Uncle Vals.  Both are available at me local.  Any recommendations on where to start?  Looking for something of a sipper and to whip up a G7T

• 2 months later...

Had this a few times while in Scotland and found a bottle recently.  It's quickly becoming one of my favorite gins.

IMG_6149.JPG

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 11:49 PM, NDN98 said:

Had this a few times while in Scotland and found a bottle recently.  It's quickly becoming one of my favorite gins.

IMG_6149.JPG

Ugly Betty gains another admirer!

It is the name of the still used at Bruichladdich to make the Botanist. A bit of a relic as it started life as one the odd Lomond style hybrids of a pot and column still.  

On 7/11/2017 at 11:49 PM, NDN98 said:

IMG_6149.JPG

I like gin, and usually go for Citadelle as an off-the-shelfer pick, or the local 4th Ward gin when I want to support the homies.  But, I must admit that I have reached for this bottle many times, but not grabbed it yet.  It looks as it should be interesting, which is usually a sign it is at least worth a try.   I know that the "Wild Hair Itch" is going to get me to get it eventually !  :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

I like gin a lot but have not delved into it nearly to the extent that I have with single malts, bourbon, rye, cognac, and to some extent rum. I've only tried maybe 15 gins over the years. I'm curious what the knowledgeable folk here would recommend as "must tries" to extend my education? 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.