Gin forum

spence21989
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1 hour ago, BourbonDude said:

I like gin a lot but have not delved into it nearly to the extent that I have with single malts, bourbon, rye, cognac, and to some extent rum. I've only tried maybe 15 gins over the years. I'm curious what the knowledgeable folk here would recommend as "must tries" to extend my education? 

I am a gin enthusiast and generally prefer it to bourbon or scotch during the summer months.  My favorite gins are The Botanist, Henrick's, Edinburgh Gin, Waterloo Antique (an aged gin that can be sipped neat), and Rock Rose Gin.

• I like it 1

Thanks for the quick response and your recs. Of those, I've only tried the Henrick's, which I thought was excellent. I'll start trying them soon. Of those, is there a favorite or standout  that I should start with? I seem to prefer the heavier, more intense, fully flavored spirits whether it's scotch, bourbon, rum, Armagnac, or whatever. And to some extent I'm willing to sacrifice elegance and smoothness, and even complexity sometimes for that intensity of flavor. 

Edited by BourbonDude

For "small" producers, I watch for Leopold Brothers (Denver), Ransom (in Oregon which also makes some good vermouths), Green Hat (Wash DC), and St. George's.  Each makes several styles and proofs.  "Local" distillers are always popping up, and gin and vodka are usually the first offerings as they don't require aging so don't be afraid to shop locally.  Two English producers I prefer are Plymouth (which sells "Plymouth Gin", a particular style, and Sloe gin) and Hayman's (Old Tom style although Ransom also makes an excellent Old Tom).  Black Friars has a Plymouth style that is available in Wash DC.

Of course, these are in addition to the several named in the last few posts.  I do prefer gins 90 proof or more and also keep several Navy Strength offerings (Leopold Bros. is first among equals) on hand.

It can be an entirely new rabbit hole to Plunge Into!

Kinda depends on what you like. Can exlplore Genever, aged Gins, and lots of more botanical forward Gins somewhat  like the St George above.

i like the Botanist from Bruichladdich, as well as genevers which tend to be more malty and oerhaps more interesting to a whiskey drinker. Bols is ok and probably easiest to find. 

Aged gins like St George Dry Rye are a bit more common now and interesting when you can find it.

Woody Creek, a small craft distillery out of Colorado, makes a wonderful gin if you can find it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the recs, everybody.

I've tried Bols and a few genevers in the past, and I used to live not far from St. George in the East Bay, but most of those are new. It will be fun trying them and learning about all the new gins out there.

Edited by BourbonDude

• 2 weeks later...

Just tried a new gin, the Blue Line Gin from the Blue Line Brewery in Saranac Lake, NY. 

Very nice, although not a typical gin flavor profile on my palate. Instead of juniper and piney or resiny flavors, I get more of a menthol flavor, on both the nose and the palate. It's still a pleasant tasting experience and I can recommend you try it if you can find it at a bar before buying a bottle.

Our party tried it at the White Face Lodge in Lake Placid and our group liked it so much (mainly as a mixer or with a bit of ice; I tried mine neat) they drank the entire remaining stock at the bar, and they were still out the following day when I went back to try a second shot. :-)

Edited by BourbonDude

• 3 months later...

I tried Smooth Ambler Barrel Aged Gin at a local liquor store yesterday and I was very impressed with it as a sipper. The barrel aging has muted some of the strong juniper and citrus notes of the typical gin, so I'm not sure how it would hold up in a G&T, but I really liked it for a sipping gin, so a bottle somehow followed me home. [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

So I recently discovered gin and tonic as a drink and have been going through tonic water and lime  at a rather astonishing rate. I haven't tried many different gins and nothing fancy (New Amsterdam, Beefeater, Bombay Sapphire, and Tanqueray) but I know that from this point I'm always going to have a gin on hand. 

On 12/1/2017 at 11:08 AM, lcpfratn said:

I tried Smooth Ambler Barrel Aged Gin at a local liquor store yesterday and I was very impressed with it as a sipper. The barrel aging has muted some of the strong juniper and citrus notes of the typical gin, so I'm not sure how it would hold up in a G&T, but I really liked it for a sipping gin, so a bottle somehow followed me home. emoji3.png

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Try it in a negroni, I find a nice barrel aged gin works real well with the campari and verrmouth. It's like sort of the midway point between a negroni and a boulevardier (which is a negroni made with bourbon or rye). 

• 1 month later...
On August 5, 2017 at 12:37 AM, NDN98 said:

I am a gin enthusiast and generally prefer it to bourbon or scotch during the summer months.  My favorite gins are The Botanist, Henrick's, Edinburgh Gin, Waterloo Antique (an aged gin that can be sipped neat), and Rock Rose Gin.

I agree as my wife goes through Gin like I go through Bourbon.   Our Favorite is indeed Botanist.   Neat we like Monkey 47.  

• I like it 2

Just recently got back from the liquor store with some Hayman's Sloe Gin and Death's Door Gin. I've concluded I rather like the fennel in the Death's Door and that I like my sloe gin on the rocks with a lime wedge, tonic need not apply.

• 2 months later...

Enjoying some Final Four basketball and my favorite Texas gin23162132d684e804f79d4b758570b7fe.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just picked up a bottle of Drumshanbo Gunpowder Irish Gin. It's real nice, reminds me of Hendrick's in that it's smooth and soft and the botanicals are really nicely balanced. The bottle looks great too (which may or may not have been why we bought it).

29955277_10105253808198220_1039258574_o.jpg

• I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sampled this today. One of the smoothest I've ever had straight from the bottle. The aromatics were damn near heavenly. 

Anyone else try this before?

fQoqGY7.jpg

• I like it 1

I believe it shows up in some of the cocktails in the local cocktail haunts I frequent. Don't think I have had it by itself though.

Until more recently, to me gin was just gin. Of course that was being alcoholically dishonest! Thanks to my cousin I discovered Nolet's gin which seem to be great either in a GnT or on the rocks/neat. Recently I also discovered a whiskey barrel gin from a newer distillery in my state...unfortunately they're expensive, but it is also fine on the rocks.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.