Gin forum

spence21989
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

yeah, I've been enjoying Miller's in my martinis lately as well...that is a nice smooth gin. It's been awhile since I've tried the Corsair, I'll have to give it another whirl.

I'd third the Miller's recommendation -- my personal favorite for gin-related uses. I'll have to try the Corsair's sometime, but need to reduce my gin collection 4-5 bottles by attrition first.

• 3 weeks later...

Stopped into a liquor store downtown over the weekend, and they had just received a new gin out of New York, called Comb 9; it is apparently distiller from honey. It makes a pretty good martini, I was concerned there would be some sweetness given the source, but ther wasn't. Definitely worth a try. I'll try for more detailed tasting soon.

I drink gin perhaps two or three times a year. This hot summer seems to suit it. I made my own blend of gins, poured over rocks, added bitters and some water.

It's really good and it reminds me that the old Victorian standby of gin-and-water had an inherent logic.

Gary

http://www.whiskyreviews.blogspot.com/ A nice couple of reviews by Ralfy. Since I really don't like the strong juniper taste in most gins, he notes that regular Bombay Dry gin is

without that strong note and is more orange and fruit notes.....it might be one for me to consider. It seemed to very easy on his palate to drink neat. Hendricks as well....

Edited by Jono

http://www.whiskyreviews.blogspot.com/ A nice couple of reviews by Ralfy. Since I really don't like the strong juniper taste in most gins, he notes that regular Bombay Dry gin is

without that strong note and is more orange and fruit notes.....it might be one for me to consider. It seemed to very easy on his palate to drink neat. Hendricks as well....

Jon, if you're looking for something that's not as junipery, Corsair's might be right up your alley. It's more vegetal, than junipery. Very drinkable with a squeeze of lime, or just plain.

Thanks for the recommendation Joe. So far, gin has remained the on spirit I have yet to really embrace.

• 4 weeks later...

Just picked up and sampled the Leopold's gin today. Nice drink. Where many gins have a very pronounced, sharp, and "glossy" flavor profile, this is less so. Not "muted", as in faint, as the flavors are there. But rather, "matte", as compared to "glossy". I know that makes no sense at all, but it's all I can come up with. :D There is this Necco wafer flavor thing going on, but as yet, I can't ID which color. Maybe, I should go buy a pack. Anywho, it all adds up to a very nice gin, that I am really enjoying.

• 4 weeks later...

Made a martini with my new bottle of Bulldog gin, and quite enjoyed it. Complex without anything overpowering. Smooth, tasty gin. Get some.

I keep a few bottles of nice gin around. My favorite for the last years is Martin Miller's 90 proof Westbourne. I've also got bottles of Voyager and Plymouth Navy Strength.

Finally, I've got a handle of Gordon's for those who don't give a crap.

• 1 month later...

If I had to choose one brand, it is Beefeater. I grew up with it and for me it defines London Dry.

However, I like (who knew?) to blend my own and currently in the glass is a blend of Gordon's (about 50%), Beefeater Orange, regular Beefeater, a craft Old Tom gin from Oregon, and three vodkas (Grey Goose, a Polish brand and Stoli). The craft gin had a ton of juniper, the Beefeater Orange was sweet, the Gordon's dry/junipery and correct, the vodkas tasty (for vodka) and neutral, to blend and display the assertive flavours of the others.

It's all a big dryish gin taste with notes of orange, juniper, sweetness and a tangy dryness.

Very nice drink, I like it without ice on its own, just a skosh after a beer.

Gary

I know I've posted this before at some point, but my wife is English and her family drinks Boodles exclusively. It was reportedly Winston Churchill's brand of choice and he knew a thing or two about drinking, so I'm good with Boodles as my go-to gin when I'm making g&t's.

Grabbed a St. George gin sampler the other day. Have tried the dry rye and the botanivore. The botanivore made an exceptional g&t, and the dry rye made a very interesting negroni. Haven't gotten around to the terroir yet, but looking forward to it.

Grabbed a St. George gin sampler the other day. Have tried the dry rye and the botanivore. The botanivore made an exceptional g&t, and the dry rye made a very interesting negroni. Haven't gotten around to the terroir yet, but looking forward to it.

i love the st. george's. nice stuff. love their absinthe too.

ever try an old tom gin from ransom? very nice to sip neat. very different.

We have some of that. Did not care for it initially and haven't gone back to it since. Been about a year ago. Will have to break it back put and give her another go.

We have some of that. Did not care for it initially and haven't gone back to it since. Been about a year ago. Will have to break it back put and give her another go.

it did take me a bit to come around on it too. very, very different for sure.

i love the st. george's. nice stuff. love their absinthe too.

ever try an old tom gin from ransom? very nice to sip neat. very different.

Yes, much more like a whiskey than a typical gin. Ransom also makes a very nice Martinez with Carpano, maraschino liqueur and a dash of Boker's bitters!

• I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

After a few decades of dedicated research I have concluded if I can only have one gin in my cabinet it will be Plymouth.

• I like it 1

• 3 months later...

My friend, whom I have been educating on bourbon for the last few months, suddenly revealed that he is a minor gin guy and gave me a gin 101 lesson. He lined up some basics - New Amsterdam, Tanqueray London Dry, Tanqueray Rangpur, and Bombay Sapphire, and we tried them neat and with diet tonic water.

Suffice to say, I was impressed with all of them. With tonic water, I like the Rangpur, and neat I liked the Bombay Sapphire - but the sub-$15 New Amsterdam was simple and good too, especially for the price. Price and taste taken together, I think I might have to take up gin as a second liquor of interest.

You guys see this question with whisk(e)y all the time: What commonly available gin recommendations to you have for a new gin drinker trying to cheaply but effectively expand his range?

Edited by CoMobourbon

To fully appreciate gin I think it is worth including both Plymouth and Old Tom gin in your exploration. There is only one "true" Plymouth gin called Plymouth gin naturally enough! So that is easy.

There are two fairly regularly available old Tom gins but they are fairly different. Hayman's Old Tom is more the classic version. Ransom Old Tom is a delightful malty Old Tom style and a wonderful spirit made in Oregon (they also now make a young straight bourbon which I haven't tried but probably deserves a taste at least).

Ransom gin also serves as a lovely introduction to the world of genever/jenever, the Dutch big brother of more traditional London style gins like Tanqueray, Bombay and even the California based New Amsterdam. Without at least trying jenever I don't think you can have a really complete gin experience. Bols is the biggest name and a good place to start but there are others worth checking out as well, including Genevieve, a pot stilled spirit of wheat, barley and rye mash, from Anchor in San Francisco.

Yes, it can be as addictive as bourbon...

• I like it 2

Bombay Blue, dry Vermouth, a little lime juice, shaken with ice, and two or three garlic stuffed queen olives.

There are damn few drinks better than that.

Wow, thanks for the quick responses guys!

I will try be sure to try

-Beefeaters (pretty cheap and available around me)

-martinis and close variants (that pretty much what you were describing, right Alden?)

-a genever/jenever

(At $32+, Plymouth seems a little too expensive for a new cheap gin drinker like me, but thanks a lot for the reference nonetheless. My friend's birthday is coming up.)

Edited by CoMobourbon

Wow, thanks for the quick responses guys!

I will try be sure to try

-Beefeaters (pretty cheap and available around me)

-martinis and close variants (that pretty much what you were describing, right Alden?)

-a genever/jenever

(At $32+, Plymouth seems a little too expensive for a new cheap gin drinker like me, but thanks a lot for the reference nonetheless. My friend's birthday is coming up.)

Yes, I was describing a martini. Gin is a completely different experience than bourbon. Enjoy!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.