Four Roses LE Small Batch 2012

callmeox
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Just saw a CL posting of someone trying to sell a FR LE SmB 2012 for 3x ... with a link to Hansell's blog. Oh boy.

*sigh*....

~added filler to meet minimum text requirement, ignore~

I passed up 3 bottles of this a few weeks ago after not being able to find any for months. I went back with cash in hand and, you know how the story goes, it was gone. Much to my surprise, I found one bottle last night at an off-the-beaten path store and braved the snow in Lexington to swoop it up. I can say that I prefer it more than anything other than GTS that I've tasted this year, including PVW15 and 20. My only regret is that I don't have all 4 bottles that I've seen.

I saw 4 on the shelf last week. I have one unopened in the bunker already, but am considering grabbing another one.

Whatever. Maybe more demand of 4R will take some heat off the VW craze.

Back on topic, should I pick up the 2012 over the 2011 if I could only get one?

I have both and just opened the 2011 last night. Even though I only had one small pour I was quite impressed. It's definitely more refined than the standard offerings and one that I would seek out on a yearly basis. I have yet to open the 2012. I keep telling myself I have too many open bottles. I think tomorrow might clear out a little space on the bar.

FR SB LE just saw the light of day here. Had a pour neat and it took me forever to get around to tasting it. The nose on this is intoxicating. Once I did take a sip I was mightely impressed. This is as close to a perfectly balanced bourbon as you're likely to get. Neat, the flavors are intense and the proof stays with you forever. After the swallow and exhale, the caramel seems to cook on your tounge .. not unlike tossing spices in a hot skillit and standing by to get the flavor release in the air. It's hard to even think about adding water .. but add a bit of water I did .. just a tad. Amazing! The mint that was subdued by the more powerful caramels and concentrated floral richness comes to the forefront. What was a rich drink with great depth suddenly becomes bright and exciting yet all of the complexity remains. This stuff is a damn good pour. I find what Rutledge and Four Roses accomplishes with yeast to be simply amazing. You can't possibly get all of these flavors from a charred white oak barrel ... it just can't be possible.

I think RestaurantMan is correct in that the 17 year old is driving this magical, mystical bus .. but .. there's a whole lot going on with the yeast mix. It's $89 here ... same as the JPS Single Barrel SW Juice that wowed me recently. Both are on top of my list .. but I'll have to give a nod to this Four Roses offering simply as a salute to the artful talents of Rutledge.

Amazing. And I'll second the many who call this bottle the bourbon of the year!

Finishing off the (drinking) night with some of this and it's great. The 2011 is a darn good pour as well but I would say the 2012 is more balanced. Two of my favorites in the bar right now.

Does anyone know if the limited editions are available in the gift shop at 4R? I'm going to take a trip out there this weekend with some out-of-town relatives and want to know if I should plan on spending some nickels while I'm there.

Call the gift shop and they will let you know what they currently have available.

Does anyone know if the limited editions are available in the gift shop at 4R? I'm going to take a trip out there this weekend with some out-of-town relatives and want to know if I should plan on spending some nickels while I'm there.

I can't say for sure, but I seriously doubt that they do. My experience with the 4R gift shop is that they will have three different single barrel bottles at cask strength and each priced at $57 and tax, regardless of age. I called a month before my visit and bought two 17s and a 13, but when I arrived they had two 11s and an 12. It will vary from month to month.

I had a pour of this once again this evening and I have to say this is the one bottle of my current opens that surprises me every time I pour it,I seem to pick up subtle and different nuances in this bottling each time I revisit it.I enjoy everything about it yet nothing is an over the top standout either,it's not overly bold just well balanced and has so much going on is what I truly enjoy!I would absolutely say this is my pick of the year and my favorite comfort bourbon when I want to be wowed and don't need to over think things,it's nice to sit back and just let it go through the motions.

Anyone else besides me not think this was the greatest thing since sliced bread?

I've read nothing but rave reviews and everyone singing its praises but it just didn't quite do it for me. Don't get me wrong, I like it. But I don't LOVE it. And I appear to be in the far minority here.

I enjoy FR as much as the rest of you but this isn't the profile I tend to gravitate towards when I reach for a bottle of FR. I much prefer the sweeter, fruitier FR's, the OESO's, etc. Something about that K yeast really kicks up the spices for me and damn near turns it into a rye. The 2012 LE SB is one of the spiciest FR's I've ever had. Very nice, but just not in my FR wheelhouse.

Just wondering if I'm on an island here (suspect so). Definitely not my BOTY.

Anyone else besides me not think this was the greatest thing since sliced bread?

I've read nothing but rave reviews and everyone singing its praises but it just didn't quite do it for me. Don't get me wrong, I like it. But I don't LOVE it. And I appear to be in the far minority here.

I enjoy FR as much as the rest of you but this isn't the profile I tend to gravitate towards when I reach for a bottle of FR. I much prefer the sweeter, fruitier FR's, the OESO's, etc. Something about that K yeast really kicks up the spices for me and damn near turns it into a rye. The 2012 LE SB is one of the spiciest FR's I've ever had. Very nice, but just not in my FR wheelhouse.

Just wondering if I'm on an island here (suspect so). Definitely not my BOTY.

I feel similar. It's a really good whiskey, just not my favorite. I think my biggest hold back on it is that I got the 17 yr gift shop bottle at the same time. IMO, the 17 year is superior and is what makes the Ltd Ed so interesting. Having a bottle of the 17 yr by itself has really spoiled my opinion of the Mariage bottle since it is so hard to measure up against. I would trade the '12 Mariage for the 17yr all day long. The Ltd Ed small batch vs. single barrel jargon gets me confused so I will just refer to the Small Batch as it's old name Mariage.

My luck seems to have run out on finding any more of the 2012, but I have found a few bottles of the 2011 for $73. That's a pricey purchase for me, but I love my one and only bottle of 2012 that I am tempted to get the 2011. Other than the comment that the 2012 seems more balanced, is there any consensus about whether the 2011 is worth that coin?

My luck seems to have run out on finding any more of the 2012, but I have found a few bottles of the 2011 for $73. That's a pricey purchase for me, but I love my one and only bottle of 2012 that I am tempted to get the 2011. Other than the comment that the 2012 seems more balanced, is there any consensus about whether the 2011 is worth that coin?

I would say that is a very fair price. If you don't get it I'm sure someone else will before too long. As you already know, when they're gone they will be gone. Then you will kick yourself for not having bought it.

I would say that is a very fair price. If you don't get it I'm sure someone else will before too long. As you already know, when they're gone they will be gone. Then you will kick yourself for not having bought it.

Agreed. I missed out on the 2012, but did pick up a bottle of the 2011. I think it is a darn fine bourbon, and worth the $79.99 I paid. I was going through it at such a fast clip, that I had to move it all the way to the back of my cabinet to keep some around. I get a fair amount of cherry from it.

Also, to Bradley's point, when I went back to pick up another bottle or two of the 2011, it was all gone (mind you, this was after the 2012 was named WOTY, so it was a long shot at best).

I feel similar. It's a really good whiskey, just not my favorite. I think my biggest hold back on it is that I got the 17 yr gift shop bottle at the same time. IMO, the 17 year is superior and is what makes the Ltd Ed so interesting. Having a bottle of the 17 yr by itself has really spoiled my opinion of the Mariage bottle since it is so hard to measure up against. I would trade the '12 Mariage for the 17yr all day long. The Ltd Ed small batch vs. single barrel jargon gets me confused so I will just refer to the Small Batch as it's old name Mariage.

Only most people on here praising it were doing so well before it had rcvd said accolades and rewards.

I've been drinking so many wheaters and sherried scotches lately, it's hard to appreciate something that isn't on the sweeter side. Will need to retrain.

No doubt. And I'm not saying it doesn't deserve it. I just think it's a tad over hyped.

"The greatest American whiskey you can drink this year" is going to lead to disappointment in some. There's no way around that.

To paraphrase Chuck:

Two people drink the same whiskey. One loves it, the other hates it. They're both right.

"The greatest American whiskey you can drink this year" is going to lead to disappointment in some. There's no way around that.

Don't read reviews without a heaping helping of salt and you're good.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.