What are you cookin on the smoker?

cigarnv

Oh baby.
20190903_184648.thumb.jpg.e005ebc2c0d2a54ecaf581353baedb30.jpg

Wow that looks fantastic. Us Yankees from the western southern tier region of NY do something called Cornell chicken which I believe is similar to Alabama white chicken. I’d like to try a good Alabama chicken.

On 7/28/2019 at 9:44 PM, HoustonNit said:

Damn you guys are making me hungry.

Yeah not for everyone but I saw a local pizza place was putting canned sardines with lemon juice in the wood fired oven as an app. Figured I’d try it on the kettle grill. I really enjoyed this.

IMG_7516.jpg

IMG_7517.jpg

That is genius!

What trump was the smoke, and how long?

• I like it 1

That is genius!
What trump was the smoke, and how long?

I think the beauty of this is I don’t think you can really overcook or undercook. Really just put it in the corner when your cooking something else and pick it up at the end. Obviously if your smoking a brisket you probably need to only put it on for the last hour of maybe when your adding some wood for smoke.
  • I like it 1

On 9/8/2019 at 8:39 AM, HoustonNit said:

I think the beauty of this is I don’t think you can really overcook or undercook. Really just put it in the corner when your cooking something else and pick it up at the end. Obviously if your smoking a brisket you probably need to only put it on for the last hour of maybe when your adding some wood for smoke.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Chicken Drumsticks for Sunday birthday party followed by three racks of ribs. One rack did not survive to the picture. They came out fantastic. 

E8079165-C638-4296-8E14-B93A86D1CE7D.jpeg

4855DE64-4F5C-4B61-AB00-68197E15EED9.jpeg

• I like it 1

Chicken Drumsticks for Sunday birthday party followed by three racks of ribs. One rack did not survive to the picture. They came out fantastic. 
E8079165-C638-4296-8E14-B93A86D1CE7D.thumb.jpeg.755ffb4a3d134eb08454e4068d642b5b.jpeg
4855DE64-4F5C-4B61-AB00-68197E15EED9.thumb.jpeg.211df76c2c44cc18b0a46c1db1aa86cd.jpeg

Gimme all your ribs! Seriously those look great.
  • I like it 1

Grilled venison steaks. Gotta make some room in the freezer. Down to some tenderloin, steak and a pack of burger

20190929_124140.jpg

• I like it 1

3 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Grilled venison steaks. Gotta make some room in the freezer. Down to some tenderloin, steak and a pack of burger

You still have tenderloin from last year's hunt?!!!!   Man, my back straps and tenderloins are always the first to go!   

You have waaaaay more will power than I have, Skinsfan1311.   Some things (not many, I grant you . . . HA!) I can 'save'; but not the best of my deer!

Good for you, though!     You're still looking forward to enjoying some of the best parts of your deer . . . while mine are all a dim memory.

10 minutes ago, Richnimrod said:

You still have tenderloin from last year's hunt?!!!!   Man, my back straps and tenderloins are always the first to go!   

You have waaaaay more will power than I have, Skinsfan1311.   Some things (not many, I grant you . . . HA!) I can 'save'; but not the best of my deer!

Good for you, though!     You're still looking forward to enjoying some of the best parts of your deer . . . while mine are all a dim memory.

I've already eaten a couple packs of tenderloin, and have been trying to save the last one..Believe me, it's tough to do!

• I like it 1

Almost a month ago, I suffered a pretty good head laceration and concussion at work. Literally, for 3 weeks, I wasn't allowed to do anything. This is what kept me from Bardstown, and everything else. However, within the last few days, I have been freed up to try and do my regular life stuff, with the exception of work.

So today, I'm going to smoke some chicken wings with peach wood. I have never used it before. When our good friend JCwhammie posted about using it with chicken, I had to try it!

So, here goes. I'll let you know in a few hours.

20191002_105537.jpg

• I like it 4

I really like the subtle smoke flavor. Definitely will be used again. 

20191002_132048.jpg

• I like it 2

• 4 weeks later...

A year ago, we had a family trip to Italy connected to a conference that I attended. As part of that trip, we hired a tour guide for a walking tour of Rome (we hired SageTravel as my daughter is in a wheelchair and we needed a disability tour. I highly recommend Sage Travel).  As part of the tour, we stopped at a small cafe by the Trevi fountains and was introduced to “Roman Pork”.  It was fantastic - slow roasted and heavily seasoned with Rosemary. 

Since that time, I have been trying to replicate that taste profile using my smoker.  So I found a recipe for Roma Pork online and adapted the seasoning to create a rub.  My first try was good but did not quite hit the mark due to the fact that used a very lean cut of pork. So I decided to use my basic pork butt process on this try.  

I used my Roman Pork rub which is heavy in garlic, rosemary, thyme, among other spices.  The pork butt came from Costco and was a bit over 15 lbs. I started at 225 degrees on my pellet smoker using my own mix of hickory and pecan pellets.  After 10 hours (basically overnight), I wrapped and added my liquid which, in this case, is based on white wine.  Another 4 hours and I was at my target of 195 degrees. 

My wife and I just tried it and it captured the taste profile perfectly.  The higher fat content of the pork butt did the trick in delivering the mouth feel and flavor of the original. The added flavor of the smoke complimented the seasoning very well. i do a lot of pork butts using the standard BBQ flavors so this is a very different flavor profile. 

Apologies for the long post but this has been a bit of a journey to replicate a memory. 

EDAB4375-415F-48FE-91CB-8536FC08A331.jpeg

0D002A48-5511-4642-A75F-277114A984E8.jpeg

• I like it 4

24 minutes ago, StarSurfer55 said:

A year ago, we had a family trip to Italy connected to a conference that I attended. As part of that trip, we hired a tour guide for a walking tour of Rome (we hired SageTravel as my daughter is in a wheelchair and we needed a disability tour. I highly recommend Sage Travel).  As part of the tour, we stopped at a small cafe by the Trevi fountains and was introduced to “Roman Pork”.  It was fantastic - slow roasted and heavily seasoned with Rosemary. 

Since that time, I have been trying to replicate that taste profile using my smoker.  So I found a recipe for Roma Pork online and adapted the seasoning to create a rub.  My first try was good but did not quite hit the mark due to the fact that used a very lean cut of pork. So I decided to use my basic pork butt process on this try.  

I used my Roman Pork rub which is heavy in garlic, rosemary, thyme, among other spices.  The pork butt came from Costco and was a bit over 15 lbs. I started at 225 degrees on my pellet smoker using my own mix of hickory and pecan pellets.  After 10 hours (basically overnight), I wrapped and added my liquid which, in this case, is based on white wine.  Another 4 hours and I was at my target of 195 degrees. 

My wife and I just tried it and it captured the taste profile perfectly.  The higher fat content of the pork butt did the trick in delivering the mouth feel and flavor of the original. The added flavor of the smoke complimented the seasoning very well. i do a lot of pork butts using the standard BBQ flavors so this is a very different flavor profile. 

Apologies for the long post but this has been a bit of a journey to replicate a memory. 

Wow, that sounds and looks great!  

32 minutes ago, StarSurfer55 said:

Well done! That looks amazing.

On 10/26/2019 at 1:06 PM, flahute said:

The higher fat content of the pork butt did the trick in delivering the mouth feel and flavor of the original.

I'm guessing the original used pork belly, and that Roma pork is a type of porchetta. Pork butt would indeed likely be the best substitute. You may want to try it with pork belly though if you can get some!

Your's looks delicious!

On 10/26/2019 at 11:33 AM, StarSurfer55 said:

Do you mind sharing your rub recipe for this?  I'd love to give this a try sometime!  Or is the Roman Pork rub an actual brand that you bought in a store?

On 10/31/2019 at 9:33 AM, dcbt said:

Do you mind sharing your rub recipe for this?  I'd love to give this a try sometime!  Or is the Roman Pork rub an actual brand that you bought in a store?

I’d like to hear it, too!  Sounds delicious.

Thanks to all fo the comments. I will try a pork belly as suggested but I agree that pork butt was a close match to the original. 

The recipe is below copied directly from my notes. 

The seasoning mixture was taken from an internet recipe for a more traditional Roman or Tuscan pork roast.  I have listed the original measurements from the recipe with the amounts that I use to convert it to a rub.  I usually make the rub up 1-2 days before I cook.

Ingredients  (Rub Conversion)

4 lb boneless pork butt roast (12 - 15 lb Pork Butt)

1 tsp onion salt (2 tbsp)

1 tsp garlic salt  (2 tbsp)

2 tsp ground black pepper, can use a small amount of red pepper for part of this (should be spicy, but not overpowering.) (4 tbsp)

2 tsp basil (4 tbsp)

2 tsp rosemary (4 tbsp)

2 tsp oregano (4 tbsp)

3 tsp dried parsley (6 tbsp)

2 tsp thyme (4 tbsp)

2 tsp fennel seeds (4 tbsp)

2 tsp garlic powder (4 tbsp)

I handle this much like I smoke a pork butt except instead of the traditional BBQ rub, I used this seasoning mixture.     I put it on my smoker at 225 - 250 degrees.  Once it reaches an internal temperature of 160, I moved it to a pan with white wine, fresh rosemary, and garlic.  The pan is covered with foil and continued on the smoker until an internal temperature of 195 was reached.  For a 15 lb Pork Butt, cook time is usually 14 - 16 h which means overnight for me.  I also use a combination of pecan and hickory pellets in my pellet smoker.

Let rest for a minimum of 1 hour before slicing.  Serve on a Ciabatta bun or an Italian loaf.

Serve with a nice Italian white such as a Pinot Grigio or a Pilsner style beer such as Moretti or Peroni. 

Interestingly, the rosemary is the primary flavor but the fennel seed is key to the correct profile. 

Enjoy!

• I like it 2

EDAB4375-415F-48FE-91CB-8536FC08A331.thumb.jpeg.64577943c21e9b78c2d26cb3699d7eb4.jpeg
0D002A48-5511-4642-A75F-277114A984E8.thumb.jpeg.126d7efe16653a47be6cecfd95d3c0e0.jpeg

Is Roman Pork the same as Porchetta?
I never heard of Roman Pork before

No, Most of the recipes that you find online call for pork loin.  I chose to use a pork butt for mine after I modified the spices into a rub.  You could use a pork belly if you like and I will try one in the future. 

• I like it 2

• 2 weeks later...

A slab of baby backs for Mrs T and myself.  Should be ready when the Buckeye game is over.

20191116_135057.jpg

• I like it 2