What are you cookin on the smoker?

cigarnv

36 minutes ago, liquidbarrels said:

when should we be over?

I would expect around 2 this afternoon. I will have some bourbons ready. 

• I like it 1

17 minutes ago, Phil T said:

Looking forward to seeing the finished product Jeff. I'm going to start marinating chicken legs in the next couple hours and will smoke tomorrow. I'm debating between apple, cherry, or peach smoke. Maybe even pecan.

Phil. 

my bias is a 50:50 mix of hickory and pecan. I have grown to really like pecan as my wood of choice. The only issue is finding pecan pellets in Michigan. I usually have to order them. So far I have used over 100 lbs of pellets this Summer. BTW, the correct pronunciation of pecan is Pa-Cahn , not pee- can. 

12 minutes ago, StarSurfer55 said:

Phil. 

my bias is a 50:50 mix of hickory and pecan. I have grown to really like pecan as my wood of choice. The only issue is finding pecan pellets in Michigan. I usually have to order them. So far I have used over 100 lbs of pellets this Summer. BTW, the correct pronunciation of pecan is Pa-Cahn , not pee- can. 

Ok, mind=blown. I have been smoking less than 2 yrs and the thought of combining woods has never occurred to me. That is an excellent tip Jeff!! And typically, it is pronounced pee-cahn in our neck of the woods.

Phil., 

I tried a the various fruit woods for pork but kept going back to hickory as the fruit wood just did give the heavier smoke flavor that I prefer. By mixing in pecan, I get a Lighter smoke but still in the same range as hickory.   I would suggest that you try straight pecan and see how you like it. Pecan is in the same family as hickory so not surprising that they are similar. 

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, StarSurfer55 said:

BTW, the correct pronunciation of pecan is Pa-Cahn , not pee- can. 

I might be wrong, but I’m guessing you don’t have any relatives in the south. ?

Biba! Joe

Yep, joe is right. A pee-can is what I kept under the seat of my boat for emergency purposes. ?. Porchetta is done. It is great. I will keep this recipe. 

C60404E8-3F29-44C8-9008-6837BA477422.jpeg

• I like it 3

I'm interested in regional dialects.  The word "pecan" is unusual in the number of different pronunciations.  I think there are five or six.

Paul, 

i finds languages interesting and regional dialects can have some unusual twists. I grew up in NW Louisiana and our accents are quite similar to East Texas accents. It is common to hear an r in wash ( warsh), windows called winda ( here in Michigan it is winder but I never understood how the last name Jordan could change to Jerdan but that is a common Texas pronunciation there. 

Even though both sides of my family are from Tennessee, it wasn’t until I met my brothers future wife, a Georgia Peach, that I heard it pronounced pee-can. My mom and I were visiting my brother at Fort Stewart/Hunter Army Airfield before he shipped out to Vietnam. I noticed all kinds of places in Savanna that sold pecans, and asked “What’s with all the places selling pecans?” My now sister in law chastised me by saying rather curtly, “It’s pronounced pee-can Joey. PEE-CAN!”  :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

Just put a stuffed pork loin on the smoker. This was the other end of the pork loin I bought for the porchetta I made a few weeks ago. Unfortunately, at my age this is the only version of “hide the sausage” that I am good at. ?☹️

48F99FF9-B8F4-4708-9DD5-59D148247970.jpeg

So I am about halfway through my cook now. Starting to look good. I did not have any andouille today so one end has smoked sausage and the other end has kielbasa. 

99F3F438-E816-4325-A37B-10C82A61AB49.jpeg

• I like it 1

So the final product turned out really good. The pork loin was juicy which is what I was wanting to achieve. So I am happy with this outcome today. Now getting ready for the derby.

05D70B89-1747-4444-A9CB-F922A97D9394.jpeg

• I like it 1

So the final product turned out really good. The pork loin was juicy which is what I was wanting to achieve. 

My son and his family are having us over for dinner this evening. The menu features burgers, brats, and dogs on the grill. :D

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

5 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

My son and his family are having us over for dinner this evening. The menu features burgers, brats, and dogs on the grill. :D

Biba! Joe

Surprise, surprise!  There was a big ole t-bone for grandpa to boot. :P

Biba! Joe

• I like it 3

2 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Surprise, surprise!  There was a big ole t-bone for grandpa to boot. :P

Biba! Joe

BOOM!

• I like it 1

So I think that  if andouille isn’t available, I will use the smoked sausage in the future but the key is to get it to at least a 185 internal temp so that the fat in the sausage renders and provides some moisture.   Pork loins can be dry and tough if not done properly. Brining will  also work but I usually don’t take the time for that process. 

Happy Labor Day Weekend. It’s hot as hell in SoCal. Smoked up the neighborhood this morning. Small brisket, a little on the dry side, but I’m happy with the result. 

F6F31304-968C-4C5F-9CA8-F5A2FC6C5DFD.jpeg

59953A9E-77C3-4970-A06C-41932B69CF6D.jpeg

• I like it 4

Unfortunately no photos this time. But I set some fillets over red oak and shag bark hickory. Then threw on fresh rosemary to flash smoke. Paired with a wild rice pilaf and tarragon asparagus. Having an old pepper rye during and after. Another old pepper and a rocky patel for desert. The weather is idealic this evening. Cheers my brothers in grain.

• I like it 2

5 hours ago, dean_martin said:

Couple of Labor Day bone-in ribeye resting.  

0907201654.jpg

My favorite steak.

8 hours ago, dean_martin said:

Couple of Labor Day bone-in ribeye resting.  

0907201654.jpg

Those look amazing.  Medium rare?

• I like it 1

57 minutes ago, Phil T said:

Those look amazing.  Medium rare?

Thanks.  Yes, but the one in the foreground was inching toward medium because it was on the hotter side of my PK grill.  I like the char I can get with a "cowboy" rub without overcooking.  Good stuff!