What are you cookin on the smoker?

cigarnv

57 minutes ago, BottledInBond said:

There’s nothing in this yet but here is my new to me toy. I’ve got several different grills/smokers but I can’t help myself. This thing is built like a tank

AE3206A0-9B5D-4E4C-B312-D7253265A59E.jpeg

AA74D6A3-8C82-4A63-99EA-51C0D3742DB0.jpeg

Wow that is one sexy beast!  Also as Joe said you can smoke like 5 briskets at once and and go over the trench on the Western front.

Rainy day in NJ. Smoked a 14lb brisket and a 11lb pork shoulder. Brisket with salt and black pepper. Pork shoulder with Malcoms BBQ Rub and Heath Riles Honey Rub. Had some unexpected guests show up for dinner and had plenty of food. Also made some corn bread and Brussels sprouts. Everything was excellent (except the weather). Had a bourbon tasting with my son (in from Chicago) using mostly Beam products, JB, KC9, KC12, Bookers Pigskin, plus FR SiB, RR10, and Yellowstone.
D4D84D84-A847-4A81-89A3-16B0E2C315DC.thumb.jpeg.a2867d80e7014da1571882f80a0d915d.jpeg1D9420EE-C628-455D-A06A-960624834C68.thumb.jpeg.a1178d528e5fe2729d0be9d7a532913c.jpeg

• I like it 6

A little off topic within an off topic thread itself, but since there isn't a "What are you cookin' in the fryer" thread I'll post this here.  Homemade onion rings all from scratch.  One taste of these and you'll never order them from a restaurant again, you'd just be disappointed...

IMG_20210531_1724132.jpg

• I like it 4

On 5/30/2021 at 10:18 AM, Kjbarth said:

D4D84D84-A847-4A81-89A3-16B0E2C315DC.thumb.jpeg.a2867d80e7014da1571882f80a0d915d.jpeg

That brisket looks phenomenal.   Right up my alley, too, without much fat.  Nicely done.

• I like it 1

Was in charge of main course for neighborhood get together last night.  

RIBS.jpg

• I like it 6

10 hours ago, PaulO said:

You guys are killin' me. 😛

I'll drive the knife in even deeper.  This was Thanksgiving last year.  Cornish Hens, Turkey breast with basil pesto wrapped in prosciutto, smashed Yukon Gold potatoes, roasted brussels sprouts, cranberry salad, roasted carrots.   

CORNISH HENS 2.jpg

CORNISH HENS 1.jpg

CORNISH HENS 3.jpg

• I like it 5

My grandmother (Mom's mother) used to make Cornish hens for me.

I said one day "Grandma, you're a great cook, but Mom is not.  Why didn't you teach her?"

She said "I tried, but she wouldn't pay attention."

And my mom's sister married an Italian American, who at one time had a successful restaurant with his two brothers.  My uncle showed me lots of stuff.  They would do the Christmas with all the different sea food. 🙃

On 6/2/2021 at 2:09 PM, PaulO said:

My grandmother (Mom's mother) used to make Cornish hens for me.

I said one day "Grandma, you're a great cook, but Mom is not.  Why didn't you teach her?"

She said "I tried, but she wouldn't pay attention."

And my mom's sister married an Italian American, who at one time had a successful restaurant with his two brothers.  My uncle showed me lots of stuff.  They would do the Christmas with all the different sea food. 🙃

My mom was a shit cook too.  It's a long hard trek to learn to cook from such a meager upbringing.  I've worked very hard at it over the last 30 years.  Still more to learn every day. 

• I like it 1

5 hours ago, BigRich said:

My mom was a shit cook too.  It's a long hard trek to learn to cook from such a meager upbringing.  I've worked very hard at it over the last 30 years.  Still more to learn every day. 

I shudder to think how many Cornish hens you could put down  if challenged.  💪

12 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

I shudder to think how many Cornish hens you could put down  if challenged.  💪

A few years back I was eating with some coworkers.  We ordered some wings for the table.  One guy said "I don't eat wings."  There was one of those record scratching, everything stops moments when we all looked at him.  "It's just not enough payoff in terms of meat for the work to eat them," he says.  While I find that to be absolute BS, when I look at a Cornish hen I do think "did it shrink in the oven?  Where is the rest of the chicken."  But they are mighty tasty and it saddens me a little bit that they've fallen out of favor in American home cooking in favor or flavorless monster breasted chickens.   But maybe that's just me.  The only thing that I have more opinions on than whiskey is food. 

• I like it 1

On 6/1/2021 at 3:56 PM, CardsandBourbon said:

Was in charge of main course for neighborhood get together last night.  

RIBS.jpg

Hope there was more than one of those!!

• I like it 1

Smoking a hunk of lamb. I marinaded it with dill, mint, and citrus among others and am using a piece of oak for the hot smoke. Pretty much the same flavors in my glass at the moment.

IMG_20210609_154736.jpg

• I like it 2

I’ve been making a conscious effort to take a little better care of myself and eat more appropriately for a while now, then I see all the delicious things y’all are posting. I really hate this thread. 🤬

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

I did my first set of ribs on the new Traeger on Sunday.  They turned out really well.  My oldest daughter and I are the rib eaters in the house but my wife and youngest daughter kept chiming in on how good they were.

4E0DA6BB-CDA6-4F2A-815D-40FDE7F20F98.jpeg

• I like it 5

On 6/9/2021 at 2:53 PM, Mattk said:

Smoking a hunk of lamb. I marinaded it with dill, mint, and citrus among others and am using a piece of oak for the hot smoke. Pretty much the same flavors in my glass at the moment.

IMG_20210609_154736.jpg

That looks suspiciously like the same Smoke Hollow grill (combo sear/gas/charcoal/offset) that I have.

On 6/10/2021 at 6:20 AM, BigRich said:

I did my first set of ribs on the new Traeger on Sunday.  They turned out really well.  My oldest daughter and I are the rib eaters in the house but my wife and youngest daughter kept chiming in on how good they were.

4E0DA6BB-CDA6-4F2A-815D-40FDE7F20F98.jpeg

Oh dang that looks amazing.

Prepping the smoker while a KC blend watches over my shoulder...

HMK while grilling.

Followed by Stag Jr/BT/ER blend.

I love Fridays!!!

I thought a little fresh grouper filet was in order. I 1st prepared a salsa that popped into my head last night while watching Star Trek. In all fairness, it was 5 ingredients that are pretty good individually, so it's kinda cheating because they have to be great together...

The head of lettuce slice was glazed with balsamic vinegar. Next I added avocado to My Honey's lettuce. (I hate the stuff)

phase1.jpg.c6a49f8d1c5dd77dff0bfdf3b3b2ab46.jpg

The grouper filets' were seasoned and doused with fresh lemon juice a couple times during cook and then place on top of the bed of lettuce...

1116535123_phase2.thumb.jpg.c447dd93ddecd7a14e7bc92d20176d66.jpg

Next came the salsa, made of honey mango, kiwi, onion, pistachios and seasoned crab, sauteed briefly in sesame oil and placed on the grill to finish.

1200860163_phase3.thumb.jpg.74e45f5ac74e2ead1674f76d2ee4230e.jpg

Ok overpriced restaurants, Top That!!! (not to mention the Friday pours that you can't have while cooking) hehehe

• I like it 4

18 hours ago, bayouredd said:

Prepping the smoker while a KC blend watches over my shoulder...

HMK while grilling

Looks incredible Redd!

What went in the smoker?

• I like it 1

7 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

What went in the smoker?

All of it!

Just plain ol' lump charcoal for the fire at 300 degrees...

Grouper on alder planks for 25 minutes.

Tray of salsa smoking at the same time; smoky crab a must try.

Last 5 minutes added trays of lettuce.

Pretty simple but worthwhile...

• 2 weeks later...

Ribs and pork steaks went on this morning. First couple pork steaks were already consumed for lunch with some Shocktop. Another couple pork steaks are on now with the ribs. I need @BottledInBond's smoker/tank so I could do it all at ince.

Also smoking some cream cheese bricks in bbq rub and corn on the cob went in the firebox. Ribs have about another hour wrapped and then last hour unwrapped (3, 2, 1 method).

20210703_093948.jpg

20210702_201008.jpg

20210703_132434.jpg

FB_IMG_1625339914008.jpg

• I like it 3

Thanks to Dave B, I friggin’ had an absolute blast playing with this new toy, today.  Got it for Father’s Day , and my first try out, today. Nerved out trying to get the right temp, make the cooking adjustments, and just make the pizza as well as possible.  I have some adjustments to make for next time, but damn tasty.  And,the fun is worth the price of admission.  

009C0B43-9357-4C35-BB62-13B4F315F9CE.jpeg

AE71F3FE-7527-45BD-BD4D-3AA7CA6C9FFC.jpeg

47FA9F77-DF35-45E7-A189-B5BCC9CC0913.jpeg

• I like it 4