What Rye are you enjoying Summer 2012?

Lost Pollito
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

This evening I am watching the Olympics with Rendezvous gracing my glass. With this newest bottle, I am getting a lot of hay/straw which I am enjoying.

It was my bday yesterday, so I broke out multiple (small) pours of my faves:

Bowman TPS Rye 10 year barrel strength - I think this is my favorite rye ever.

Vintage 21 - another winner

VWFRR "A" lot - the whiskey that made me fall in love with American whiskey! My first "precious" bottle ever.

Also had a nice pour of Springbank 18 and a pour of a 17 year old private bottling Willet wheater that is divine.

Lots of small, dainty pours - but each was terrific.

It was my bday yesterday, so I broke out multiple (small) pours of my faves:

Bowman TPS Rye 10 year barrel strength - I think this is my favorite rye ever.

Vintage 21 - another winner

VWFRR "A" lot - the whiskey that made me fall in love with American whiskey! My first "precious" bottle ever.

Also had a nice pour of Springbank 18 and a pour of a 17 year old private bottling Willet wheater that is divine.

Lots of small, dainty pours - but each was terrific.

Sorry I missed your birthday If I had known I would have done a post for you. Put it on your profile. Happy belated birthday!

I picked up 3 handles of Fleischmann's rye and a liter of Stephen Foster today. Cost me less than a bottle of EH Taylor would have!

How is that Fleischmann's Rye anyway? I'm very curious about it. A friend is going to WI to visit family in a few weeks, with a stopover in Chicago. I was going to ask him to pick up something special for me at Binny's, but I'm half thinking he should just grab a bottle of Fleischmann's in WI. It's not something I'm ever likely to find on my own.

I picked up 3 handles of Fleischmann's rye and a liter of Stephen Foster today. Cost me less than a bottle of EH Taylor would have!

You are the man! Thanks. Really excited to try the Fleischmans when you get back.. and the McKenzie sounds interesting too.

McKenzie is interesting. Sort of like a nice caraway rye bread, with a bit of four roses floral essence thrown on top. I'm enjoying it!

I'll try the Fleischmann's tonight.

Fleischmann's is interesting. Unmistakable Barton profile, slightly sweet, light banana nose. Reminds me quite a bit of nosing VOB 86, a nice light whiskey. As you take a sip it's not that sweet really, just a nice rye dryness balanced with a bit of sweet. It really warms the esophagus, but not the throat burning fire you sometimes get with the cheap stuff.

The finish lasts for a good couple of minutes, slightly bitter, but tongue fulfilling and coating. It'll be interesting to see how this reacts with air, and see if the bananas take over or stay in the back ground.

If you are up in Wisconsin, pick some up! I found mine at Piggly Wiggly in Sheboygan falls, complete with a $7 rebate off 2 handles. That'll take the price for 3 handles from $56 to $49, an amazing bargain.

A single handle will already be more than Canada customs allows. It will have to be snuck in. I wonder if they'll find it in Madison? It's only a northern WI thing, I think.

I made a Manhattan cocktail with Bulleit Rye, yesterday afternoon. Besides the whiskey, sweet vermouth, and Angostura, I added a small splash of Stirrings Blood Orange bitters. It was one of the best Manhattans I've ever had.

Tim

I put a hurting on some WTR 101 last night. One of those nights where the first bottle I chose hit the spot so I never changed.

I finally emtied out my Thomas H Handy Rye with two small pours and a small ice cube.

Now I have no open rye, I just might open one of my Vintage Rye 23yo's, I'm gonna have to think about it.

I finally emtied out my Thomas H Handy Rye with two small pours and a small ice cube.

Now I have no open rye, I just might open one of my Vintage Rye 23yo's, I'm gonna have to think about it.

Hey Oscar,

What's your opinion of the V23? Seems like most of what I've read here, think its too woody. I know of 2 bottles, hesitant to pull the trigger

I haven't gotten to it yet.

From all the reviews I have read about it the wood is in relativly check.

The 21 was a bit to hot for me.

What are the prices that you saw?

$93..good/ bad? Damn, I always forget about the minimum character thingy

$93..good/ bad? Damn, I always forget about the minimum character thingy

Well depending on if you have this month's rent paid I'd get one.

Well depending on if you have this month's rent paid I'd get one.

I never worry about paying the rent, I own a car. I can sleep in the car, I can't drive my house

I started with some THH, now some baby Saz. Are these guys related?

Enjoying healthy pours from bottles of BMH 23yr Rye and Vintage 21 Rye. Simply fantastic whiskeys. I think I would rank these in the top 5 of the 60 or so bourbons/ryes I've tried.

I'm surprised at how much BMH 23 my fellow forum members have bunkered! I picked up about 6 bottles over the last year and have really enjoyed it. It is VERY woody (but not too much for me). The Vintage 23 is nowhere near as woody as the BMH, at least in my experience. I know forum members generally prefer the Vintage 21 but I've never seen it in the wild. For what it's worth, I've found that vatting the BMH 23 or Vintage 23 with Saz 18 yields great results.

As for the rye I'm "enjoying" it's Bourye (if that counts). Not really enjoying it, though. Still hoping it will open up or that I'll "get" it.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!