What Rye are you enjoying Summer 2012?

Lost Pollito
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

WTR101. Picked another one up for the bunker today, so I think I'll be able to survive the drought for a while.

Last night was nice pour of Handy with a couple small ice cubes, I let them melt down. Bottle's been open over a year and there might be one, maybe two pours left. Damn, this has gotten better with time. Plus there's a fair amount of char swirling around. Yum.

Enjoying a glass of Rittenhouse BiB tonight. I have just recently added rye whiskey to my drinking rotation and so far I am enjoying the two I have tried. Along with the Ritt I have a bottlle of THH. I am planning on picking up a couple of mid shelfer ryes so I can save the THH until I gain a little better appreciation of what I am tasting. Any suggestions would be welcomed.

I just started drinking the High West Rendezvous. I think it's a great pour and it runs $45-ish around here. Maybe some Baby Saz to compare with the THH. And it is a nice rye in its own right. And a lot of people are fans of Bulleit, though I'm not particularly enamored. Might still be a good idea to pick a bottle up if you're trying the big names in the rye world. You'll also know what people mean by LDI rye.

Enjoying a glass of Rittenhouse BiB tonight. I have just recently added rye whiskey to my drinking rotation and so far I am enjoying the two I have tried. Along with the Ritt I have a bottlle of THH. I am planning on picking up a couple of mid shelfer ryes so I can save the THH until I gain a little better appreciation of what I am tasting. Any suggestions would be welcomed.

See if you can find some WT101 Rye that's still floating around but nearing extinction. It's very good and affordable too in the low $20's. Avoid over-priced boring stuff like Templeton which is decent enough but lacking the zing I like in my ryes.

I just started drinking the High West Rendezvous. I think it's a great pour and it runs $45-ish around here. Maybe some Baby Saz to compare with the THH. And it is a nice rye in its own right. And a lot of people are fans of Bulleit, though I'm not particularly enamored. Might still be a good idea to pick a bottle up if you're trying the big names in the rye world. You'll also know what people mean by LDI rye.

I'm the last rye lover on the planet who hasn't tried Bulleit Rye yet but thought I'd give it a whirl just to see what it's like. What put you off about it?

Finished off the Whistle Pig last night. Met my Kentucky courier for lunch today and took deliver of a 23 Rittenhouse and a Knob Creek Rye. Will try the KCR tonight.

I'm the last rye lover on the planet who hasn't tried Bulleit Rye yet but thought I'd give it a whirl just to see what it's like. What put you off about it?

I think it's a fine rye, don't get me wrong. I'm just not all that crazy about it. It may be that super-high-rye-content ryes aren't generally my thing, though I do like High West Rendezvous.

Not quite a rye but an excellent whiskey, High West 21 years old rye mash whiskey. It's aged in reused barrels. It is full-bodied and flavored, almost like a straight.

This is what Canadian whisky would taste like if the flavoring element (whiskey distilled out under 160 proof from a bourbon or rye mash) was aged on its own. I still can't understand why Canadians won't release some of this whiskey on its own.

Gary

Not quite a rye but an excellent whiskey, High West 21 years old rye mash whiskey. It's aged in reused barrels. It is full-bodied and flavored, almost like a straight.

This is what Canadian whisky would taste like if the flavoring element (whiskey distilled out under 160 proof from a bourbon or rye mash) was aged on its own. I still can't understand why Canadians won't release some of this whiskey on its own.

Gary

Will do, thanks. I think the long rest in the barrel did help to produce the notable sweetness (this is batch 3 incidentally). Another analogy is to a Scotch malt, true the grains are different (mostly) but you get a long repose in reused barrels in both cases and the resultant sweetness is not that different. I need to taste it again but it may be that the sweet here is more the pure vanilla type as opposed to the red layer smoky sweetness of a typical bourbon or well-aged rye.

Gary

Would love to get my hands on some of that HW. It's on my target list for my next trip to the US.

The rye situation here in Ontario (as Gary can attest to) is dire. There are currently zero straight ryes available for sale here. We got a shipment of Baby Saz in June, but that all got snapped up in just a few weeks. The Ritt BIB sold out months ago. I bunkered a few of each and am rationing them very carefully.

I recently found a bar with Willett 4yo on the shelf. A very unusual find here - it must have been purchased privately by the publican. Quite a delicious pour.

Man....I'm always drinking rye...pretty much every day, to be honest.

What I'm digging on lately:

High West Rendezvous - heaven

Willett 5 year Rye - Bulleitt for grown ups at 110 proof...dig this juice

Old Overholt - 1953 bottling - Original Broadford, PA distillery, 100 proof, BIB......holy shit, they do NOT make 'em like this Pennsylvania rye no more.

As the outer bands of what's left of Isaac pass over & college football returns, it's a WT101 Rye night.

Starting out the evening with some HWDR!, then maybe some Willett, WTR 101, HW 16yr, or baby Saz??

Starting out the evening with some HWDR!, then maybe some Willett, WTR 101, HW 16yr, or baby Saz??

While I'm a fan of WTR 101, and sorry to see it go away, the HWDR! and the Willett are much more full flavored , I'll survive just fine.

I just cracked open my first bottle of whistlepig last night and had the first pour. I'm not sold on getting a second bottle yet, but I'm definitely looking forward to the second pour. :cool:

A couple pours of Ritt and Baby Saz while painting today to keep me" in the zone"the painting sucked, while the value pours were right on key.

Edited by WAINWRIGHT
poor keyboard skills

Finishing up the long Labor Day Weekend with a stupendous pour of Saz 18. Nothing quite like this whiskey. It truly is special.

I picked up a bottle of Bulleit rye over the holiday so I could try the LDI 95% rye mashbill. The Bulleit is an interesting flavor change from that of the Ritt BiB I have been drinking. I don't know if I like the Bulleit better than the Ritt but I must say I am more impressed with the Bulleit rye than I was with their bourbon.

I also picked up some WT101 rye but have not yet had a pour. I feel a little bad because I bought the last 3 bottles on the shelf, I hope I find it to my liking.

I also picked up some WT101 rye but have not yet had a pour. I feel a little bad because I bought the last 3 bottles on the shelf, I hope I find it to my liking.

Had my first sip of Vintage 21 last night. Now I know what all the fuss is about. :yum:

What's the latest educated guess on the provenance of this stuff? Searching all the old threads here makes my head spin, but from what I can tell the Vintage Ryes are Medley, Saz 18 is Bernheim Cream of Kentucky, and current VWFRR is a vatting of the two. Have I got that right? From what I can taste (and remember of the other two), that does make sense.

Had my first sip of Vintage 21 last night. Now I know what all the fuss is about. :yum:

What's the latest educated guess on the provenance of this stuff? Searching all the old threads here makes my head spin, but from what I can tell the Vintage Ryes are Medley, Saz 18 is Bernheim Cream of Kentucky, and current VWFRR is a vatting of the two. Have I got that right? From what I can taste (and remember of the other two), that does make sense.

Regarding KBD provenance, I can point you towards this amazing answer from Drew:

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?13585-Whiskey-Trails-17-Year-Old-Bourbon&p=215661&viewfull=1#post215661

Edited by LostBottle

Goodness that got heated, ha.

Maybe I sould care, I probably should care, but when it tastes as good as the V21 does, I just can't get too worked up about it.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!