What Rye are you enjoying Summer 2012?

Lost Pollito
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Started w a pour of Rendevous and moved on to Willett 5 yr, which is just wonderful tonight.

Enjoying an old fashioned made with High West double rye right now, and it is fantastic. Don't care for it straight, but with Fee's whiskey barrel aged bitters, orange and sugar, it is a beautiful thing.

Willett 4yr gave its last pour tonight. For a youthful rye, such big flavor. Beats anything in its age group hands down.

B

Converting a family member to becoming a rye fan,consecutive pours of Willett "Groundbreaker",Baby Saz and Ritt BIB; he is coming around nicely.

WT Rye 101.

Shame it's gone. I believe it's about my favorite of their "current" offerings.

Converting a family member to becoming a rye fan,consecutive pours of Willett "Groundbreaker",Baby Saz and Ritt BIB; he is coming around nicely.

Is that Willet going to be gone before I get to try it?

Having a tasty pour High West Rendezvous Rye tonight... Should've gotten a bottle of this long ago!

Is that Willet going to be gone before I get to try it?

Quit whining,there is always an open door over here.

Had a High West Double Rye! and Copper Fox rye last night in between beers along the H St. NE corridor. Double Rye! was a bit sweeter than I thought it would be, almost as though it were an Old Fashioned using a young LDI rye, in which the older whiskey was used in lieu of simple syrup. Pretty good, IMO. I also liked the Copper Fox, despite my loathing of cherry wood and general distaste for pot still products. I guess I need to reassess what I think I like. Since this is a rye thread, I should note that the Copper Fox tasted very little like a rye. The only hint of spice came in at the end, in a subtle little goodbye as part of the finish. Without knowing it was 67% rye (or close to it), I wouldn't have been able to tell there was more than 15% in there.

Broke open a handle of Fleischman's Rye this weekend that YoungBlackSmith was kind enough to snag for me up in WI.

Damn good stuff for as cheap as it is. The nose is a high 80 point score - it's really quite nice.

The pallet, as you'd expect, is a tad thin (80 proof/3 years) and a bit watery, but I can still justify it as a sipper on a hot night or when you want to stay on the lighter side, but still soak up all those juicy rye flavors.

This is probably the perfect mixing rye - I added a few drops of St. Elizabeth's Allspice dram and was bowled over by the heat and spice that the two spirits brought out of each other...

Obviously hard to get hold of, but it's worth every penny of the $18 for a 1.75liter bottle!

Thanks Aaron - this is really worth having on hand!

This could be one of those "power of suggestion" things, or maybe, it's just a good combo. But, the final part of dinner tonight, was some Tomato Caprese that we whipped up. The basil on the dish was particularly and wonderfully pungent. So afterwards, while I was sitting out in the garage listening to the Braves on the radio and sippin' on a little High West Double Rye!, I was smacked in the head with a basil note to this whiskey. It really is a wonderful flavoring, here. The flavor is familiar to both the Barton and LDI ryes, which I think this whiskey is derived from?? It's nice. Very nice. As I said, this could be just a carryover from din-din, but I think there is more to it within my palate. At any rate, I am enjoying this whiskey.

Wild Turkey Rye 101. I really think this is a great pour, and a great value. I'm sad to see it gone.

Rye Turkey 101 here also. My first rye, and I love it. Haven't seen the KC rye yet, but when I do I'm going to grab some.

Knob Creek Rye. 23.99 in NYC. Great buy. This is where the price should stay. I'll buy it by the case.

Knob Creek Rye. 23.99 in NYC. Great buy. This is where the price should stay. I'll buy it by the case.

Just got back from the store. Sold out. One 6 bottle case of the KC rye at 24 bucks a bottle was all they had in stock and it's gone. I got 2 bottles. I'm sure the next time I see it on the shelf there it will be 40 plus a bottle. Ah, well.

And this is my 500th post. Took me seven years.

-Mike

Nice drink to bring to a card game! Hope you take your friends' money in return.

Having a glass of Sazerac 18 while I recover from a day of cycling and trying to keep people in NOLA from freaking out about this dang hurricane. I've got plenty of whiskey, so I don't need to evacuate!

However, this bottle has been open too long. I bought it when I quit my job in January 2011 and it's been open longer than anything else I have. The nose and palate are as delicious as ever, but it seems like the finish isn't as nice as it used to be.

High West Rendezvous. So, so good. Best high-rye rye I've had! Not that I've had so many, but I really love this one.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!