Parkers Heritage 2012

doubleblank
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I know Ohio isn't big on limited edition spirits, but with three dumps of this, is there a chance this might make it to the shelves of the buckeye state? Not that I'm all that opposed to making the trip down to NoKy, but it'd be nice, and at least some of the Buffalo Trace specialties (i.e. Col EH Taylor) have gotten into the state recently. Any chance Ohio decides to do the same with HH?

To finally put this whole proof thing to bed. The first dump is actually what the Heaven Hill press release stated: 131.6 proof. The first set of bottles that went out (including mine) were accidentally labeled 127 proof, and I believe those are being recalled by Heaven Hill. So, if you're looking for a collector's item (drink the whiskey, save the bottle), go out and buy one of the bottles labeled 127 proof if you can find one.

Kevin (Restaurant Man) was kind enough to invite a few of us to the restaurant to sample a pre-release bottle that he received. Actually, I weaseled my way in on Bill's invite. :D I was absolutely Wowed by this whiskey. Sweet cinnamon over the palate, with a spicy "cherry" thing going on. Very "candy-like". A big bourbon at the proof, but still deliciously drinkable. With just the few pours that I had, I can say it is my favorite of the PHC's so far, and I've loved everyone of them. I will definitely be buying multiples of this. Two enthusiastic "thumbs-up!" for it.

Kevin (Restaurant Man) was kind enough to invite a few of us to the restaurant to sample a pre-release bottle that he received. Actually, I weaseled my way in on Bill's invite. :D I was absolutely Wowed by this whiskey. Sweet cinnamon over the palate, with a spicy "cherry" thing going on. Very "candy-like". A big bourbon at the proof, but still deliciously drinkable. With just the few pours that I had, I can say it is my favorite of the PHC's so far, and I've loved everyone of them. I will definitely be buying multiples of this. Two enthusiastic "thumbs-up!" for it.

Thanks for the review. It is a lot easier to drop $80 on something when you know some people are loving it. Doesn't mean I will love it, but it still makes the decision to find out much easier.

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone in the Louisville area, found it at Westport Whiskey and Wine, $85. Great stuff! Slightly better than the 10 year wheated, imho.

For anyone in the Louisville area, found it at Westport Whiskey and Wine, $85. Great stuff! Slightly better than the 10 year wheated, imho.

Whoa, that is some serious praise!

I think the PHC wheated is one of the best wheaters I've ever had

Thanks for the heads up, had snagged a bottle in Bardstown Wed....loved it so much i went to Westport and grabbed one tonight to bunker. Had asked to put on waiting list a few weeks back...not sure why they neglected to call.

I second everything you say. Just tried it last night, and I'm stunned by how much I love this whiskey. I mean, just outstanding. Powerful, complex, decadent, it's got it all. And yeah, even better than the Wheater, and I loved that one. HH really hit it out of the park.

This fall there will be extra BTAC/FRLE/Winkle on Wisconsin shelves as I stock up.

The thing I love about the 2012 PHC is that it isn't just about the gimmick of combining a wheater and a rye-recipe bourbon, it's about using those components to craft a truly outstanding whiskey. This is Craig and Parker Beam at the height of their powers. With that great Heaven Hill inventory at their disposal, they are confident and masterful. This is what limited edition bottlings should be.

Darned- I knew I should have bought more then three bottles. Oh well, maybe it will show up in Michigan soon.

Best regards, Tony

Packages and More Liquors in Elizabethtown, Ky received another case of 3 bottles today. Sold their first case almost immediately when it arrived last week. Price is $84.99/750.

Packages and More Liquors in Elizabethtown, Ky received another case of 3 bottles today. Sold their first case almost immediately when it arrived last week. Price is $84.99/750.

I'm not trying to be a jackass, and I know you're trying to do a "good" thing, but please don't post the availability of limited quantity-specialty bottles on the open forum. Lurkers, poachers, and flippers abound, here.

I am very glad to hear how good this is. I remember a time when the suggestion to make a "4 grain" was viewed with amusement by some if not worse (I mean, many years ago in the early days of bourbon appreciation). :)

Gary

Really looking forward to this. Anyone have any intel on when we should expect it to hit shelves in Atlanta?

While I was out looking for for the 2012 PHC, I came across a 1st edition PHC for $180. After reading all the great things about the 2012, would it be wise to wait for the 2012 and get two, or grab the 1st edition since they're hard to come by now? Any opinions are appreciated.

While I was out looking for for the 2012 PHC, I came across a 1st edition PHC for $180. After reading all the great things about the 2012, would it be wise to wait for the 2012 and get two, or grab the 1st edition since they're hard to come by now? Any opinions are appreciated.

That's $100 more than it should be, but, assuming you can afford to pay the premium, it really comes down to the proof. From what I've heard the first, lowest proof, bottling is fantastic, the middle is good, and the highest proof final batch is not so hot.

I'd like to reiterate that it's not at all about the four-grain gimmick. It's about taking two quite different bourbons, carefully selected exemplary barrels of each, and finding the right proportions to create something that is more than the mere sum of its parts. It is its own thing and quite good. It might not even be possible to do something like this in larger quantities. What Four Roses does with Small Batch is similar, and similarly outstanding, but we know the diversity of the Four Roses recipes. Here Heaven Hill takes its two recipes and does the same sort of thing. This is a great example of what the great ones can do. That's why I'm excited about it.

Keepin an eye out for it, but haven't found anything in Lexington yet. Can't be too much longer, right?

I'd like to reiterate that it's not at all about the four-grain gimmick. It's about taking two quite different bourbons, carefully selected exemplary barrels of each, and finding the right proportions to create something that is more than the mere sum of its parts. It is its own thing and quite good. It might not even be possible to do something like this in larger quantities. What Four Roses does with Small Batch is similar, and similarly outstanding, but we know the diversity of the Four Roses recipes. Here Heaven Hill takes its two recipes and does the same sort of thing. This is a great example of what the great ones can do. That's why I'm excited about it.

Chuck, no one on this thread has accused this of being a 'gimmick.'

Chuck, no one on this thread has accused this of being a 'gimmick.'

I didn't say anyone did. I introduced the word 'gimmick' to the discussion myself. Thank you for seeking that clarification.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.