Parkers Heritage 2012

doubleblank
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Picked up 66.6 on Saturday in NJ. I like it but it was a bit difficult to drink straight. I might try to dillute a little next time.

The '12 PHC was the subject of a fair amount of discussion during the GBS meet-up on Saturday. And, much of this discussion centered around some folks' description of a short finish. What I think many of us concluded was that the finish wasn't so much "short", as it was the finish did not include the "kick in the throat" that a whiskey of this proof (the 131.6 bottling) would have been expected to deliver. I sense no loss of finish from a purely taste standpoint, but no doubt, the booming hit I am accustomed to with Barrel Proof whiskies is not there. As has been written here many times, it is a fabulous whiskey. Very full and flavorful. But, incredibly easy drinking for such a high proof bourbon. That lack of a powerful hit on the finish, may be the genious in this whiskey. Is it the wheat element doing exactly what it's supposed to do? And, somehow the Beams have been able to coax it's appearance out right at the finish? I'm thinking that it is.

The '12 PHC was the subject of a fair amount of discussion during the GBS meet-up on Saturday. And, much of this discussion centered around some folks' description of a short finish. What I think many of us concluded was that the finish wasn't so much "short", as it was the finish did not include the "kick in the throat" that a whiskey of this proof (the 131.6 bottling) would have been expected to deliver. I sense no loss of finish from a purely taste standpoint, but no doubt, the booming hit I am accustomed to with Barrel Proof whiskies is not there. As has been written here many times, it is a fabulous whiskey. Very full and flavorful. But, incredibly easy drinking for such a high proof bourbon. That lack of a powerful hit on the finish, may be the genious in this whiskey. Is it the wheat element doing exactly what it's supposed to do? And, somehow the Beams have been able to coax it's appearance out right at the finish? I'm thinking that it is.

I'm not sure, Joe. I think it might need a little extra "air time." Then it would open up properly.

I'm not sure, Joe. I think it might need a little extra "air time." Then it would open up properly.

:lol: True, Jack. Jimmy described his first take on it Saturday as tasting of "pale pink chunks of petrified penguin puke, mutilated monkey meat, and very dirty birdy feet". But, after he let it sit for 15 minutes, it became an "exquisite amalgamation of vanillas, toffee, butterscotch, and blossoming rummish flavors akin to a 1957 VVOF"!

:lol: True, Jack. Jimmy described his first take on it Saturday as tasting of "pale pink chunks of petrified penguin puke, mutilated monkey meat, and very dirty birdy feet". But, after he let it sit for 15 minutes, it became an "exquisite amalgamation of vanillas, toffee, butterscotch, and blossoming rummish flavors akin to a 1957 VVOF"!

Pale pink petrified penguin puke. What a descriptor. I did not know the color of said puke was pink...

I agree with you Jack. A little air time should do this expression proud and open it up nicely and make this an even more stellar pour than it already is after being freshly opened.

Pale pink petrified penguin puke. What a descriptor. I did not know the color of said puke was pink...

Geez, maybe they puke in order to disguise their scent and ward off predators...or nature show photographers ;)

the wheat part is same profile as that Parker's wheat. I'm having some right now and it's lip smackin'

I went to K&L today and snagged 2 of the '12...which is gonna be hard to find in Cali, everyone's on the hunt! I had this stuff at Whisky Live and it was by FAR the highlight of my night, had to get it.

I went to K&L today and snagged 2 of the '12...which is gonna be hard to find in Cali, everyone's on the hunt! I had this stuff at Whisky Live and it was by FAR the highlight of my night, had to get it.

They got it without alerting The List? Very sly

Well played effort IMHO.

Thank you very much, Sir! I think I was magically there the moment it went on the shelf, cuz when I went to ring it up, the UPC hadn't even been loaded into the system yet. I am pretty certain that they were on the shelf for less than 1 day. They also got a couple cases of Baby Saz in, and I grabbed one of those....they said they expected to sell out of 2 cases in 1 day!

Thank you very much, Sir! I think I was magically there the moment it went on the shelf, cuz when I went to ring it up, the UPC hadn't even been loaded into the system yet. I am pretty certain that they were on the shelf for less than 1 day. They also got a couple cases of Baby Saz in, and I grabbed one of those....they said they expected to sell out of 2 cases in 1 day!

Once in awhile, even a blind squirrel finds a nut. Glad to hear your timing was prosperous. PHC no matter the release has been a favorite of mine. Enjoy.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been tasting this over four sessions, and I like this whiskey. I think it's good enough to have bought 3 bottles. On the other hand, I agree with some of the comments made earlier, about the short finish and about the wheat & rye not quite meshing as well as I had hoped. For me, it immediately drew to mind a comparison to GTS, given the proof, price & wheat & rye, and I prefer GTS. In my view, this is a more laid back pour, without the intensity or complexity of GTS.

I found a store that had some, I wanted two bottles, but they were selling them for $130 each, so I just took one. Devil's batch 66.6% abv. :70358-devil:

I found a store that had some, I wanted two bottles, but they were selling them for $130 each, so I just took one. Devil's batch 66.6% abv. :70358-devil:

Shame to see that kind of mark-up. I bought two bottles of the 2nd batch pretty quickly at $80 when they showed up in NJ, and have since seen bottles on the shelf at $80 in a couple of stores (again in NJ). Outside of a couple of stores, NYC liquor stores are a ripoff. Anyway, hope you enjoy the PHC.

• 3 weeks later...

Cracked my bottle today.....yep, as good as I remember, very palette forward, not a lot on the back of the mouth, but boy....at 132 proof, it's amazing how smooth it is with no water in it.

Cracked my bottle today.....yep, as good as I remember, very palette forward, not a lot on the back of the mouth, but boy....at 132 proof, it's amazing how smooth it is with no water in it.

Is your bottle a flat 132.0 proof? If so, looks like you have the 3rd and final batch of the three dumps. Please confirm. Thanks!

Has anyone seen the 133.2 proof devil's batch in Michigan? I am looking for a bottle.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Has anyone seen the 133.2 proof devil's batch in Michigan? I am looking for a bottle.

Have not seen it yet just the other version, will keep my eye out for you.

Best regards, Tony

Have not seen it yet just the other version, will keep my eye out for you.

Best regards, Tony

Thanks Tony.

From another Tony

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.