No more Pappy on Ebay???

ThirstyinOhio
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I've been following the prices of the various Van Winkles on Ebay for some time now and have noticed that they are all gone from Ebay. While the supply may have simply dried up, I believe ebay is proactively removing them from their site now. This is a big disappointment for someone like myself who has zero chance of ever getting a any van winkle product (or even BTAC for that matter) thanks to Ohio being a control state. Has anyone heard of an official stance from Ebay regading this?

I would say that this may increase your chance of finding one in the wild. If you can't flip it on ebay, which seems to have been the easiest route, where do you go now, and is it worth the hassle of doing so.

I see this as a good thing.

B

If you are in Ohio and want these bad enough to pay what people on eBay were charging, why not think about taking a road trip to Kentucky?

Hopefully the removal of the secondary market does something about that. If anyone should be able to get those bottles it's you folks in the place where they're made.

I would say that this may increase your chance of finding one in the wild. If you can't flip it on ebay, which seems to have been the easiest route, where do you go now, and is it worth the hassle of doing so.

I see this as a good thing.

B

Good point. But still, everybody and their mom knows about and is looking for the stuff now. From a retailer's perspective I can tell you that probably half the people now asking me about PVW probably know nothing about it and just "heard about it."

There's a thread elsewhere with information on this.

Apparently, the Van Winkle Facebook page had a posting that they have asked eBay to remove sales of their products.

I'm aligned with those who think that with no easy secondary market, the flippers will be forced to leave more product on the shelves for others.

This definitely a move in the right direction on Ebays behalf and Van Winkles,more for the enthusiast and less profiteering for the the flippers.

I've been following the prices of the various Van Winkles on Ebay for some time now and have noticed that they are all gone from Ebay. While the supply may have simply dried up, I believe ebay is proactively removing them from their site now. This is a big disappointment for someone like myself who has zero chance of ever getting a any van winkle product (or even BTAC for that matter) thanks to Ohio being a control state. Has anyone heard of an official stance from Ebay regading this?

Do you not visit this site? The eBay chatter has been intense. And yes, you can blame Mr. Anal-Retentive Narc.

Do you not visit this site? The eBay chatter has been intense. And yes, you can blame Mr. Anal-Retentive Narc.

That's neither a fair or correct assessment.

Unless he's become a Van Winkle by proxy, it was their decision to ask eBay to stop sales of their products.

It's one thing to attack me in a thread I started or posted in, but to state this in a thread I have not commented just shows what you are all about.

The Van Winkles have lead the attack on shutting down ebay sales of their products.

Posted (edited) · Hidden
Hidden
It's one thing to attack me in a thread I started or posted in, but to state this in a thread I have not commented just shows what you are all about.

The Van Winkles have lead the attack on shutting down ebay sales of their products.

Eh. I would argue your comments, threats, and actions in previous threads means that any verbal attacks or name calling was probably brough upon yourself by said posts - you knew your threats would stir things up. Justified or not, it is that whole consequence of action thing that many people seem to forget about.

Edited by LostBottle

I strongly suggest that the finger pointing discussion take place in the PR&C thread and not here as it is inappropriate.

And the greedy liquor store owners will have no reference point to set the price

Agreed! That said, I have the suspicion that with the quantities of bottles some eBay sellers had, they themselves were probably liquor store owners/employees.

This comment/complaint strikes me as slightly odd. If you have been following the prices of various Van Winkle products then you should have well been aware that they have steadily increased since this time last year. One would have thought that prices would come down after Christmas but it never let up through Father's Day and even today as we approach the Fall release. Your comment is therefore odd because anyone tracking the prices would have seen this and purchased it before the rocketship took off (if they were desperate for Van Winkle)

I don't see this thread going anywhere good

I don't know, threads about eBay have a pretty good track record of staying polite and positive :lol:. It is what it is fellas, better start hoarding and flipping PHC.

And the greedy liquor store owners will have no reference point to set the price

Playing devils advocate, the liquor store owner is "greedy" for allocating a product in high demand using the best mechinism available which is price, but the pictures on here of Pappy and BTAC 5 and 10 deep isn't greedy . . . Interesting.

Personally, as long as the buyer and seller are within the laws they are governed by, I don't have a problem with either, but I am also am an ardent believer in the economic concepts of supply and demand, and I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but these products are underpriced for the current market place. A price increase would certainly bring some equilibrium to the market place. That unfortunately is the reality of the brown liquor market right now, if handled correctly, it will pass, if handled poorly, we will see additional products not on the shelves due to improper pricing.

Playing devils advocate, the liquor store owner is "greedy" for allocating a product in high demand using the best mechinism available which is price, but the pictures on here of Pappy and BTAC 5 and 10 deep isn't greedy . . . Interesting.

Personally, as long as the buyer and seller are within the laws they are governed by, I don't have a problem with either, but I am also am an ardent believer in the economic concepts of supply and demand, and I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but these products are underpriced for the current market place. A price increase would certainly bring some equilibrium to the market place. That unfortunately is the reality of the brown liquor market right now, if handled correctly, it will pass, if handled poorly, we will see additional products not on the shelves due to improper pricing.

Those who "cash in on a craze" usually destroy the craze. When I buy wines for the restaurant that I only get 3-6 bottles of per year, I price them on the normal scale. My regular guests seem to appreciate that and return often. It's a good long term relationship. I'm sure I could hold out for the "one guy" that will pay it (someone always pays it, as I understand) but I'd rather just be fair to the folks who keep me in business. In fact we only got one bottle of Saz 18 last fall. Sold it for 15 bucks per 2 oz pour

I'm aligned with those who think that with no easy secondary market, the flippers will be forced to leave more product on the shelves for others.
This definitely a move in the right direction on Ebays behalf and Van Winkles,more for the enthusiast and less profiteering for the the flippers.

It is a move in the right direction but I don't think it will equate to more on the shelves for either a true enthusiast or the jump on the bandwagon types. Maybe in a few years but it is just way too much of a got to have item and will continue to be even harder than ever or impossible for most to acquire in the foreseeable future.

There is now, for numerous reasons, an insatiable demand by more and more people for what is determined by considered elites as the best. One of Grant Achatz's restaurants in Chicago, Next, sells out in 90 minutes its prepaid dinners of 2000 seats for a 3 month period. It has over 16,000 people online within a matter of moments of the random Facebook announcement of the ticket sale starting time. This is a meal that is going to set you back realistically $200 a person at minimum and in a city with many other desired, hard to get into and high priced restaurants (including Achatz's Alinea) but Next has a particular fevered demand for now. Van Winkle whiskey has the same regardless of ebay sales. It may pass but it will be a while.

There are two bottles of Lot B on there for only $317. Better go get 'em before ebay pulls them down!

This comment/complaint strikes me as slightly odd. If you have been following the prices of various Van Winkle products then you should have well been aware that they have steadily increased since this time last year. One would have thought that prices would come down after Christmas but it never let up through Father's Day and even today as we approach the Fall release. Your comment is therefore odd because anyone tracking the prices would have seen this and purchased it before the rocketship took off (if they were desperate for Van Winkle)

I was well aware that the prices kept going up, but I was keeping my fingers crossed that either I'd be able to steal an auction at the last minute and get a bottle of 23 for under $450 shipped or that the prices would have came back down so I could buy after the next release.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.