No more Pappy on Ebay???

ThirstyinOhio
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Just a matter of time till that happened. May be back may not.

"We expect to allow these listings again after developing and implementing additional, reasonable requirements to support seller compliance with our policies and applicable laws. We will continue to allow listings by pre-approved, licensed wine sellers.""

I don't bunker anything. In fact, I've never purchased a bottle of anything where I had more than half a bottle already in my possession - excepting items I've specifically bought for friends. That said, I could understand the argument of someone who bunkered something he figured he'd drink, but also looked to Ebay as a "safety valve" in case of financial hardship or change of taste. I can't imagine that this segment of the population is large, but I would hate to be in their shoes now.

Yeah,I'm in those shoes now. I piled up quite a haul of stuff I like and completely intended to drink/share with friends over the years. Stuff that will not be available year over year (like PVWs, CEHT Tornado, JP18 pre 1992, etc.). However, now I am l considering the horror of begrudgingly liquidating my bunker, not because I want to make a profit, but because I am trying to scratch together as much cash I can to purchase land directly behind my house that unexpectedly and suddenly became availble, and protect it from development. I was thinking I could use eBay. Now I may be stuck. Anyone have any suggestions? I might just have to have a garage sale!

Payment in kind? Maybe the seller would enjoy your bunker.

How much Pappy 15 would two 10 y/o cats get me?

I know the feeling. I was laid off and.I was thinking of sellong a bottle but....can't now :(. Fantastic timing.

If you are stuck with unwanted bottles, I suggest searching "the help a fellow member find a bottle of...." thread. No, you will not get the 5-10 margin on ebay, but I'm sure you can work something out and help others out at same time.

• 1 month later...

FYI, it seems as though people are simply buying the PVW through eBay before it can be removed by the system. Seems to me that one could just list them at fairly competitive but still profitable prices and they will sell out within the hour especially this time of year (holidays). Result: this eBay saga hasn't done jack towards making Pappy easier to find or more available.

Wade, you might want to get on this and close that loophole.

Yes a few bottles have gotten through by some folks with creative listings but I also know some folks had their eBay accounts suspended. Search the completed and sold listings and less than 10 bottles of van winkle sold since the ban. There have been 20 times that listed buy pulled.

It's interesting to note that the ebay crack-down on selling bottles hasn't extended to their international sites. I can still buy alcohol quite freely on the ebay Australia site, though very rarely if-ever any Pappy product.

It's interesting to note that the ebay crack-down on selling bottles hasn't extended to their international sites. I can still buy alcohol quite freely on the ebay Australia site, though very rarely if-ever any Pappy product.

Each ebay country specific site (Such as http://www.ebay.com.au/) will have it's own rules. The recent rule change stopping sales of Alcohol was only for the US site.

• 5 weeks later...

Glad I've been saving my Van Winkle empties. List them on ebay with wink wink to contact me for more details. Then when seller contacts me, I sell them outside of ebay. When he receives his empty bottle expecting something else, what's he going to do?

And selling empty bottles is legal.

I got $50 for an empty PVW 15.

I wonder who they will re-sell that bottle to once they re-fill it with some other brown alcohol???

You may have helped perpetuate black market fakes.

Given what they were going for before they were pulled, I'll bet someone went through the trouble to re-foil seal the bottles with OWA or something similar inside.

People with larceny in their heart will do that . . . what's a crying shame is enough of the folks willing to pay those ridiculous prices won't know the difference.

People with larceny in their heart will do that . . . what's a crying shame is enough of the folks willing to pay those ridiculous prices won't know the difference.

Larceny is probably what some people are filling those empty bottles with!:lol:

Three year old Cabin Still, more likely.

Does it really matter what the cheats are filling it with? As always, it comes down to buyer beware.

Edited by HP12

:lol: Well played! :lol:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.