No more Pappy on Ebay???

ThirstyinOhio
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I actually have a few empty 20 yr bottles. wonder what I can get.

Probably a bundle, from those who believe that wheaters improve significantly with increased air-time...:D

Does it really matter what the cheats are filling it with? As always, it comes down to buyer beware.

It was a joke. Larceny in their hearts, Larceny in their bottles, get it?

It was a joke. Larceny in their hearts, Larceny in their bottles, get it?

Oh yea, I got it. And that was a good one. But I too was making a point, thus the reference to both posts.

Oh yea, I got it. And that was a good one. But I too was making a point, thus the reference to both posts.

Nice Archer avatar. For all the brown liquor consumed on that show, have they ever mentioned one by brand?

Dumb question but do people actually pay for the empty bottles to collect them or is it juts part of a scam?

Reason I ask is I usually recycle my empties and never thought they'd be worth anything. I actually threw a pappy 20 velvet bag away - no idea people paid for these things.

Dumb question but do people actually pay for the empty bottles to collect them or is it juts part of a scam?

Reason I ask is I usually recycle my empties and never thought they'd be worth anything. I actually threw a pappy 20 velvet bag away - no idea people paid for these things.

I think its crazy that people will pay upwards of $50 just for the empty bottle with the bag and tag. That's the best kind of recycling!

I'm pretty sure the bottles selling on Ebay are not empty. If you look at the description by the owners it states "brand new un-opened" and if you look at the prices it's obvious they are full bottles. I've bought a few bottles from some of the seller's and most are reputable and have many comments by buyers.

I'm pretty sure the bottles selling on Ebay are not empty. If you look at the description by the owners it states "brand new un-opened" and if you look at the prices it's obvious they are full bottles. I've bought a few bottles from some of the seller's and most are reputable and have many comments by buyers.

And your first post is about how awesome the eBay Pappy flipping experience has been for you, and the guys you've dealt with are stand-up gentlemen. Are you sure you aren't "in the industry" and trying to fluff up your public image here?

I'm pretty sure the bottles selling on Ebay are not empty.

If a seller lists an empty bottle, sells it for $350. and then receives positive

feedback, I think it's safe to assume the buyer got a full bottle despite the

language in the auction listing.

Checking completed auctions, you see that some bags and empty bottles

have ended at a price significantly lower than an "empty" (read presumed

full) bottle. Whether that is because the auction for an actual empty bottle

ran its course and sold for $20. or it was an full-listed-as-empty and the

seller ended the auction and worked out a deal I can't say but as I stated

previously, I do believe some empty bottles are selling.

"Empty" bottles are selling for sky high prices and I and my many ebay usernames love it. Buyer beware when you get an real empty bottle.

"Empty" bottles are selling for sky high prices and I and my many ebay usernames love it. Buyer beware when you get an real empty bottle.

Knowingly trying to rip-off people? Stay classy.

I guess I better save me empties then - makes no sense to me why someone would want one other than to make their home bar look like thy have some van winkle on the shelf. Strange, but I'll be happy to help folks out as I drain bottles.

Hopefully Wade's joking around because it took me all of 4 minutes on google to find what I believe are two of his usernames and a host of personal information. I would highly recommend not fake selling.

Sure you may scam some poor wife who's trying to find her husband a gift and she won't do anything, but you may also piss off a buyer who ends up being dangerous. It's probably not worth the risk to "send a message" especially since probably won't put a dent in the system.

Edited by Rockefeller

Well, it's actually more honest and legal than selling an "empty" bottle to someone who expects a full one.

I've been seeing a lot of gouged Pappy prices on the shelves this release. eBay shutting down sales has certainly had its impact. I'm convinced that the "flippers" are a complete myth and that it's retailers/distributors that are the real culprits. Withholding juice and working for their best interest. I've even come across some retailers that have been stiffed By distributors and as a result don't do business with BT anymore.

Whoever gave you the impression that retailers and distributors couldn't also be flippers or related to flippers? Distributors and retailers are nothing but flippers.

Whoever gave you the impression that retailers and distributors couldn't also be flippers or related to flippers? Distributors and retailers are nothing but flippers.

Jim's correct, Pappy is beyond our influence for a number of reasons but there are others whose price should come down if we as a group didn't over pay.

Ah, so only post-retail, tax-dodging, price-gougers (must have all 3 characteristics) are flippers - I get it now.

Ah, so only post-retail, tax-dodging, price-gougers (must have all 3 characteristics) are flippers - I get it now.

Dunno that price gouging is a requisite characteristic but when people here use the word "flipper" it is clear that the implication is post-retail.

So, if you buy a bottle for a buddy and charge him retail, that counts as a flipper? Or if you buy a case and eventually sell some bottles at your cost, then you're a flipper? Darn, I fit that category.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.