No more Pappy on Ebay???

ThirstyinOhio
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

There's always good whiskey out there. If something drys up, there's plenty of others that will take it's place.

Yes indeed, and the renewed interest in Rye is encouraging, no telling what we may have available in the years to come.

There's always good whiskey out there. If something drys up, there's plenty of others that will take it's place.

That may be the case now, but what about in 5 years? 10 years? 25 years?

I have seen the future. There will come a day when all decent whiskey goes the way of the dodo, and a bottle of WT101 or Weller 12 gets auctioned for hundreds or thousands of dollars (or whatever future currency eBay will use). We will start fighting each other in the streets for the latest limited edition white dog. A man with a single bottle of Lot B can control a neighborhood. A militia that calls themselves the Stagg Army controls the country west of the Mississippi. Only those with deep secure bunkers will stand a chance of survival.

123301920-28130932.jpg

There has been too much violence ... too much pain. None here is without sin. But, I have an honourable compromise. Give me the bourbon, and I'll spare your lives. Just walk away. I will give you safe passage in the wasteland ... Walk away and there will be an end to the horror ...

Edited by Kalessin

...and DeanSheen wins the award for Pappy comment of the year. A breath of fresh air amidst all the "I gave all the liquor store staff within a 20 mile radius handys, and not the BTAC variety, in dark parking lots to score this sole bottle of Pappy at double suggested retail price so I could impress strangers" nonsense.

• 1 month later...

It's not that there's no Pappy Van Winkle on eBay anymore, it's that there's pretty much no alcohol sales at all on eBay anymore. I believe this was prompted by a 20/20 undercover show where a minor was able to buy alcohol on eBay and have it shipped to his house (who would do that?). Craft beer, other bourbon, basically all specialty stuff is now unavailable.

It kind of sucks too...I do not believe that this policy has resulted in any more Pappy Van Winkle availability to the general public. You still have people like one specific guy in NYC who bought nearly 200 bottles of Van Winkle last year through connections in NY and NJ, and continues to sell them on the black market one way or another.

It's not that there's no Pappy Van Winkle on eBay anymore, it's that there's pretty much no alcohol sales at all on eBay anymore. I believe this was prompted by a 20/20 undercover show where a minor was able to buy alcohol on eBay and have it shipped to his house (who would do that?). Craft beer, other bourbon, basically all specialty stuff is now unavailable.

It kind of sucks too...I do not believe that this policy has resulted in any more Pappy Van Winkle availability to the general public. You still have people like one specific guy in NYC who bought nearly 200 bottles of Van Winkle last year through connections in NY and NJ, and continues to sell them on the black market one way or another.

"That guy" is probably mafia. And I tell you this, if I released a product for $50 and it was being sold all day long on eBay for $150. I would either shut them down or jack my price up.

I'll make a prediction that we will see more and more bottles ending up in bars and restaurants versus the normal retail outlets. Why? ......it's getting to where the product isn't helping the retailer's bottom line because 1) he can't get very much to sell and 2) all he does is piss off some of his customers that don't get any of the allocation. It's not worth bothering with anymore for many retailers. But for the bars et al, it's a huge bottom line helper at the prices charged for it and it will draw in customers to eat and drink where PVW is available. It's becoming close to being analagous to those "boutique" wineries out in California (Bryant, Screaming Eagle, etc). You never see their product in a retail store. They typically sell to a list of individuals (their club list) and a large percentage to high end restaurants and bars (over 60% in some cases).

I'll make a prediction that we will see more and more bottles ending up in bars and restaurants versus the normal retail outlets. Why? ......it's getting to where the product isn't helping the retailer's bottom line because 1) he can't get very much to sell and 2) all he does is piss off some of his customers that don't get any of the allocation. It's not worth bothering with anymore for many retailers. But for the bars et al, it's a huge bottom line helper at the prices charged for it and it will draw in customers to eat and drink where PVW is available. It's becoming close to being analagous to those "boutique" wineries out in California (Bryant, Screaming Eagle, etc). You never see their product in a retail store. They typically sell to a list of individuals (their club list) and a large percentage to high end restaurants and bars (over 60% in some cases).

Not Pappy but perhaps supports this trend a bit. Went to the Tanqueray Malacca gin launch party this week and the regional manager indicated that this was going to be a fairly limited release and the focus was going to be primarily on bars and restaurants. Supposedly very little was going to make it to retail outlets.

I think they are trying to build some "mystique" with this version of the brand. It already has some of course in the cocktail world as one of the trend setters in the botanical gin movement.

Not your Father's gin anymore. I once ordered a Martini and the girl said she could make any Martini I wanted. Oh, just the standard one, gin & vermouth, I said.

After a good bit of searching they couldn't find any vermouth.

• 2 weeks later...

It's already been happening for some time Randy. You pretty much never see any VW product for sale in Oregon and BTAC is almost as rare, but there is a renowned Thai restaurant here that every time I've been there has had a good selection of Van Winkle as well as the BTAC, and I have heard of other restaurants with the same. On top of that I've heard from more than one store manager they don't even want the product any longer, it costs more time answering all the calls and dealing with disgruntled customers as it brings in profit; just as you said.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.