Van Winkle Decides Not to Announce Shipments This Year

yerrbo
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

From their Facebook page:

"Old Rip Van Winkle Distillery We had such a negative reaction from retailers and wholesalers being bombarded with phone calls that we likely will not this year. Late October is when we suggest you start looking as that will give the product time to work its way into the market."

Kind of a bummer, it certainly does make it easier if you don't have to call retailers every single day for weeks. I can't help but think that this might achieve the opposite result with retailers and distributors being bombarded with calls for weeks instead of days.

I did put myself on one list, but only for the Rye too. Feel the same as you do MOKyD. I was the only one to specifically ask for the rye in this area.

Good, now when I don't see it in Hawaii stores I can just tell myself that they sold out instead of knowing for a fact they are ignoring us thirsty folk out here.

OK. So, VW won't announce shipments. A good thing. Therefore, I am calling for a "Binding Gentlemen's Agreement". This agreement will dictate that we all vow going forward into the Fall NO ONE will post and ask the question: "Has anyone seen the Pappy's in "Fill-in-the-blank Town, Fill-in-the-blank State" ? Please?!?!?!? And, if a Newbie comes in asking same, we will all hit the IGNORE button??? No snide answers. No debates. No regurgitated info for the 1000th time. No nothing. Silence. I can't take another season of 75 threads, and 1,000 pages of PVW-mania. I'd rather have a root canal.

I'll be the first to sign:

Smokinjoe

Who's with me?

OK. So, VW won't announce shipments. A good thing. Therefore, I am calling for a "Binding Gentlemen's Agreement". This agreement will dictate that we all vow going forward into the Fall NO ONE will post and ask the question: "Has anyone seen the Pappy's in "Fill-in-the-blank Town, Fill-in-the-blank State" ? Please?!?!?!? And, if a Newbie comes in asking same, we will all hit the IGNORE button??? No snide answers. No debates. No regurgitated info for the 1000th time. No nothing. Silence. I can't take another season of 75 threads, and 1,000 pages of PVW-mania. I'd rather have a root canal.

Smokinjoe

Who's with me?

What if whenever someone posts a "where can I find pappy nearby" thread I just tell the, that "Smokinjoe is the community Pappy Tracker and he keeps a list of every store in your area that sells Pappy along with their inventory. But he doesn't like to give out the information unless he knows your serious and he admires persistence, so you'll just need to keep messaging him as a sign you really are interested. He'll tell you he doesn't know what you're talking about or there is no list or you're just being used in a big joke, but that's all just a ploy to measure your meddle. Good luck!" Of course, I'm kidding :) I see your point about the pledge, it certainly makes sense.

Smokinjoe

Who's with me?

Second here!!! Nothing at all against the Van Winkles who put out fantastic whiskey...it's about this place looking and sounding like Hooterville when it happens.

Anything you want to know about it has been said before here including from Julian and what's said on the internet stays on the internet.

T Comp/Thad

Edited by T Comp

As a newb I'm almost looking forward to seeing what kind of circus this place turns in to over the next couple of months. :P

I will sign your pledge Joe. I may not hit the ignore button, but I will not post about pappy availability or locations or even the words Van Winkle after today until January 1st.

Young Blacksmith

Aaron H.

I will sign your pledge Joe. I may not hit the ignore button, but I will not post about pappy availability or locations or even the words Van Winkle after today until January 1st.

Young Blacksmith

Aaron H.

OK! Now we're rollin'! ;)

I find the announcement will be more of a strain on retailers than a blessing, phones will be ringing for a weeks not days.I will admit to spending to much time and effort in the past,if a can snag a rye or two this fall I will be elated.Good luck to all how still live the search!

Smokinjoe

Who's with me?

I'm in as well, although I don't think Julian did the retailers any favors (as I think folks will be calling more often as others have pointed out, believing that if they wait until late October they'll miss the window).

Smokinjoe

Who's with me?

Count me in!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm in as well, although I don't think Julian did the retailers any favors (as I think folks will be calling more often as others have pointed out, believing that if they wait until late October they'll miss the window).

I think this is a no win situation for the Van Winkles. Take a look at the spring Facebook pages, there are a ton of responses to each posting. Most are nagging about their state shipments even though the post was for another state. This madness is just that madness. The retailers are probably going to get a million calls no matter what. I will try to find the rye and maybe a 15 but overall not a big deal to me.

Smokinjoe

Who's with me?

No snide answers???:frown: I'll try my best.

I'll be directing people towards liquor stores that have not treated me well in the past.

Call these guys...there phone number is xxx-xxx-xxxx...they always have some!!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.