Van Winkle Decides Not to Announce Shipments This Year

yerrbo
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I disagree that these would be bargains at twice the price.

That post was sarcasm. (I ain't no pappyphile!)

Prices here last year from the two retailers by me (and one in Florida) were:

10/90 and 10/107 ~$45

Lot B $53

PVW15 $57

PVW20 $99

PVW23 $200

I've never seen the rye on the shelf.

10/90 and 10/107 ~$45

Lot B $53

PVW15 $57

PVW20 $99

PVW23 $200

I've never seen the rye on the shelf.

Pretty close to the same prices here in North Texas, we're a couple of dollars higher on 12 ($55) & 15 ($59). Rye runs ~$50 usually (it's the cheapest besides Old Rip).

That said, there's a few stores that jack up the prices on the 15 to $89, and the 20yr to $150.

Pretty close to the same prices here in North Texas, we're a couple of dollars higher on 12 ($55) & 15 ($59). Rye runs ~$50 usually (it's the cheapest besides Old Rip).

That said, there's a few stores that jack up the prices on the 15 to $89, and the 20yr to $150.

I must be amazingly pathetic because I bought my last Lot B offthe shelf for 79 :(. It's sad but it was the only store that could hook me up.

I just checked the pricing -- the Lot B is the only one I'll still consider buying at those prices. Even so, whenever I go back and forth between Lot B and MM46, I'm not quite sure how much better the Lot B is for the additional $20. I doubt I'll buy either the 10/107 or the 15 for a good while. Where I am, until this spring, the 10/107 was $29.99, and the 15 was $57.99. I have some of each, and between the price rise and all the BS, I think I'll pass.

I just checked the pricing -- the Lot B is the only one I'll still consider buying at those prices. Even so, whenever I go back and forth between Lot B and MM46, I'm not quite sure how much better the Lot B is for the additional $20. I doubt I'll buy either the 10/107 or the 15 for a good while. Where I am, until this spring, the 10/107 was $29.99, and the 15 was $57.99. I have some of each, and between the price rise and all the BS, I think I'll pass.

Where were you? 2007?

The msrp of the Pappy line is hardly the problem. It's not like there's vast amounts of other 15 year old bourbons on sale for less than $79.99. Paying $40 for a 10 year old looks only slightly worse, but my last two bottles of 10/107 have been so good I can hardly complain about what they cost either. Personally I find lot B to be the one that's not worth the money.

There never seems to be consensus where pappy is concerned. ;). It's probably why it's such an entertaining topic. I havent had the 10yr, the 20 or 23. So the 15yr I have is the bar by which I judge all other bourbons. The 12yr took months of air time before I found it pallatable. I expect the 10yr to be the same,especially since it's BT Weller distillate. The OWA and Weller12 required airtime as well.

The Lot B is the one bottle I can take the foil off of, uncork it and have everyone who's tried it thinks it's the best bourbon they ever had.

I must just be unlucky. I took the foil off my PVW15 and my socks blown off from the get go. GTS and WLW were the same. Lot B just tasted like a slightly better version of Weller 12. It was overly hot and prickly with little to no flavor. Might as well have had a glass of rubbing alcohol.

6+ months later it's tasty with all the velvety smooth sweetness, caramel, vanilla and cinnamon I want.

I do have another theory. Could be that only.recently began to develop my pallette. However, I still say airtime helps.

Were these recent bottlings of Lot B or just what you've noticed in the past?

Don't get me wrong as I believe some airtime helps all wheaters, but it seems as though the Lot B has many variables with each years bottling slightly different.

I haven't opened any new bottles, most of the ones I've opened were from '09.

Ahha! The plot thickens ;). My bottle is from fall.2011. I have read reviews that past bottlings are better. I can only report on what I have and what I've experienced. I had such high hopes for Lot B when I got it, you cant imagine my disappointment when it didnt match my expectations.

Don't get me wrong as I believe some airtime helps all wheaters, but it seems as though the Lot B has many variables with each years bottling slightly different.

I haven't opened any new bottles, most of the ones I've opened were from '09.

Yup. I've killed two bottle of Lot B over the last year, one last Sunday (celebrating a Lions and Tigers win) and one 6 months ago. One bottle was from fall 2011 and the other was a spring 2012. The spring bottle was suprisingly better, like smooth maple syrup. The fall bottle was a little sharp, and spicy for a wheater. FYI, both bottles were empty within several hours (I was sharing) and were not allowed air time. I do feel that a little oxidation goes a long way with many bourbons.

Today on facebook and twitter Old Rip announced "shipments to the wholesalers will begin going out in the next few weeks. Inventory will make its way to stores a week or two after that." They asked that specific questions, I'm assuming of the where and when type, be sent direct message on facebook.

• 3 months later...

Here is my tip for "finding" van winkle.

Step 1

Go to a respected liquor store.

Step 2

Start buying all of your bourbon there.

Step 3

Learn the manager's name

Step 4

Spend more money there and let them know that you have an interest in bourbon.

Step 5

Make sure the manager learns your name.

Step 6

When Pappy shows up he will probably tell you and have a bottle set aside for you...right next to a list of people that he has never met and will never see again that have called and asked for it. This is the do not sell list. A liquor store chain will quickly determine who should be on this list by comparing who has called multiple stores.

A good store of any kind knows their regulars, will make recommendations, and set aside the best for those people. When I ask for a filet at the local butcher shop, he always gives me a center cut...the next person in line is getting lesser cuts for the same price. It's one of many perks of being a regular.

Did all of the above and got a call this morning from my local retailer that a case of VWFRR had come in and they had a bottle for me. Too bad the price doubled, from 70 to 140. Needless to say I backed out. I'm now cursing his name. This is a perfect example of why I will not pursue VW ever again. There is no rhyme or reason to it, and I prefer my bottle of Ritt25 anyway.

Loyalty is a two way street and a store can't pay it's bills off the sale of Van Winkle products alone.

Some days my local grocer has Coke for .99 cents. Other days they have it for $1.49. It's the nature of retail...

Van Winkle ain't what it use to be... So I why should I let it ruffle my feathers anymore? If the newbies, sheep and wannabes want to piss their money away... Let them. That said... It really is not that difficult to find a bottle of ORVW/PVW bourbon. All it takes is a little effort, and ground work. The rye is a different story all together...

...but it seems as though the Lot B has many variables with each years bottling slightly different...

I've found that a little ham-fisted flattery goes a long way towards getting Van Winkle. Every time I walk through my local retailer's door, I search out the owner and make sure to tell him how nice he looks, or that he smells good, or ask if he's been working out. I ask to see pictures of his family so I can compliment them too, but I think he is humble, so he doesn't show me. Every time he says something, I laugh loudly so he feels cool and funny around me.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.